Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 05:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
i am in the market to purchase a Pentax 18-135 lens, i had a problem with B&H and will not purchase anything from them again!
I also have a DA 18-135 and really enjoy it as a general-purpose lens. I think it provides very good value-for-money.

As for your choice of dealers, it would have helped us to understand the situation if your first post had explained what the problem was or the status of your attempt to resolve the matter. The title of the post is somewhat odd - are you asking for suggestions of possible dealers for your future purchases (cameras, perhaps)? Your follow-up comment doesn't shed much light on the issue, so it's difficult to determine how to respond.

My impression is that this particular dealer generally provides favourable service at decent prices. In fact, I was considering ordering some items from them recently, but opted for another solution from a Canadian dealer.

In any case, there are other sources for the lens, so you should have no problem getting one.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 01-23-2015 at 05:49 AM.
01-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I also have a DA 18-135 and really enjoy it as a general-purpose lens. I think it provides very good value-for-money.

As for your choice of dealers, it would have helped us to understand the situation if your first post had explained what the problem was or the status of your attempt to resolve the matter. The title of the post is somewhat odd - are you asking for suggestions of possible dealers for your future purchases (cameras, perhaps)? Your follow-up comment doesn't shed much light on the issue, so it's difficult to determine how to respond.

My impression is that this particular dealer generally provides favourable service at decent prices. In fact, I was considering ordering some items from them recently, but opted for another solution from a Canadian dealer.

In any case, there are other sources for the lens, so you should have no problem getting one.

- Craig
I am sorry that i was not clear on my problem, i felt it not necessary to get in depth on what my problem was. I just stated that i was not happy with the way problem was handled and wanted names of other shops that i can give my business to. Life is to short and i am to old to put up with any problems!
01-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair enough. Hope you get the lens soon. Let us know how the lens works out for you.

As I mentioned, and as others have reported, the 18-135 is a good all-round performer. Some folks might be waiting for reports on the new Pentax 16-85, which might provide better optical performance, albeit at a higher price.

- Craig
01-23-2015, 11:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DJDee Quote
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but what are some options for us Canadians? (Especially with the dollar tanking)
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Prodigital2000 is a Canadian eBay store that gives the Canadian two year warranty.
Prodigital2000 have consistently been the cheapest for Canadians. You can contact them to propose payment in CAD when they list in USD, and also make an offer. Great service too (which wasn't true 5-6 years ago )

Henry's have great service too, and good prices. Gosselin are a Quebec chain with pretty good prices these days, and they do sell online. They don't stock everything but can order all the Pentax stuff.

01-23-2015, 11:38 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
They fumbled a request on my part, I got a little snide, and they went on full bore attack. I was quite shocked.
I wouldn't be. My wife works in customer service. I think it's a miracle she hasn't blown a gasket at some of the genuinely horrible people on the other end of the line. They don't want help. They just want to yell at someone, and doing it on the phone won't result in a punch in the mouth. Try dealing with that 8 hours every day and see if you don't feel like climbing up a belltower with an AK-47.

Even if you think there are a lot of douchebags in the world, being a customer service rep will educate you as to how many there really are.
01-23-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I have bought equally from B&H and Adorama. I have had equally good experience with both. Good enough that I don't shop anywhere else, except KEH if I am shopping for a used item.
01-23-2015, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

I've been using B&H for over 10yrs without a single issue or complaint. Sorry to hear about your problem.

01-23-2015, 08:58 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Even if you think there are a lot of douchebags in the world
I heard most of those douchbags come from Iowa. I would never live there.
01-23-2015, 10:13 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't be. My wife works in customer service. I think it's a miracle she hasn't blown a gasket at some of the genuinely horrible people on the other end of the line. They don't want help. They just want to yell at someone, and doing it on the phone won't result in a punch in the mouth. Try dealing with that 8 hours every day and see if you don't feel like climbing up a belltower with an AK-47.

Even if you think there are a lot of douchebags in the world, being a customer service rep will educate you as to how many there really are.
Agree 800%.

Ah, "customer service"... People who've never done it wonder why it's so terrible much of the time...those of us who have done it know exactly why!

(Truly not to blame the OP here in this specific case, since I know nothing about it...but there are enough, ahem, people of a certain type who ruin it for everyone.)
01-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Your follow-up comment doesn't shed much light on the issue, so it's difficult to determine how to respond.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/106-ask-b-h-photo/286415-not-happy-b-h-customer-service.html
01-24-2015, 03:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Please don't school me. I worked 10 years in IT, effectively corporate level Customer Service. CS is all
about diplomacy and bearing the ire of disappointed, confused, angry, annoyed, et al, customers is a must
for any CS department. You simply do not blow back at the customer, at least not until all other efforts are
exhausted. You certainly don't blow back on first response at the slightest provocation and maintain that
aggression without waiver.

What I said of my surreal day is fair and honest without going into detail, (I have no need to air dirty laundry
for all to gawk). I only added my contribution to the conversation to illustrate that whatever turned off the
original poster, there are possible, isolated, ugly moments even with the best of services. I encountered
it once with B&H, to my surprise, but yet I don't hold a grudge against them for it.
01-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think you misread "Gibby's" response Mr. Tvd...it sounds to me like he was empathizing you. Truly caring for your misfortune and only wishes you the best. That's what people from Iowa do
01-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I think you misread "Gibby's" response Mr. Tvd...it sounds to me like he was empathizing you. Truly caring for your misfortune and only wishes you the best. That's what people from Iowa do
If so, then yes I did. I read it as empathizing with the Customer Support side of the equation,
who must deal with 'genuinely horrible people' who 'don't want help'.

Last edited by tvdtvdtvd; 01-24-2015 at 06:45 AM.
01-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The product i have received from B&H has been very good, i have had a problem with the Hoya uv filters they recommended. They are very hard to clean, smear very easy. I will explain my issue, just after Christmas i purchased a used Pentax K-50 on ebay, the camera was like new but did not come with any lens hoods. B&H sold two lens hoods that fit the 18-55 lens, my fault i did not reserch or ask which was the correct hood for my kit lens, i just ordered the least expensive. this was the wrong one, i contacted B&H and they issued me a RMA, in my haste packing up the lense hood i somehow boxed up the empty hood box for my 55-200 lens and empty lens filter boxes. I shipped them back priority mail with insurance $16. When B&H CS processed the return they sent me an email stating that i had sent them an empty box. This confused the heck out of me because i was sure i had packed the hood up and shipped it back. I gave them a call and the representative i got had such a bad accent i could not under stand hal of what he was saying. I tried to explain what i had done and he kept saying "just a minute" "just a minute" and than said "listen i unpacked the box and it contained three empty boxes" I tried to explain that i was so sure that i had packed the lens hood he again said "just a minute" "just a minute" he then said i unpacked the box and you sent us three empty boxes i dont know what you thought you did and smirked! I feel and easy fix to this would have been, understanding what i did and review my business with his company and offer to email me a preepaid shipping label so that i can return the hood for credit!
01-24-2015, 09:11 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

I feel and easy fix to this would have been, understanding what i did and review my business with his company and offer to email me a preepaid shipping label so that i can return the hood for credit!
You screwed up twice by ordering the wrong hood and then sending them an empty box and on top of all that wanted them to send you a prepaid shipping label for your mistake? You should have apologized for your error and resent the wrong hood back on your dime. I wouldn't want you as a customer.

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 10:21 AM ----------

i felt it not necessary to get in depth on what my problem was
If you had earlier in the post, we would have sided with B&H. I know I would have.