Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 06:40 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
FWIW, the FA77 will beat Sigma's resale value if it matters.

01-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
FWIW, the FA77 will beat Sigma's resale value if it matters.
I'm not sure about that. Both lenses sell new for about $1000 in the US. ($949 for the Pentax and $969 for the Sigma). Looking at completed auctions on eBay, the 77mm is usually selling in the $600-$750 range used. No more than what the 85mm sells for used. (The last two 77mm's on eBay actually sold for $510+$30 shipping and $549+$29 shipping.)

With either lens, I would suggest buying used, and letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit. But I know that some people like to buy new.
01-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got an FA*85 and sold my FA77. I've never had a desire to go back.

Still, the FA77 is close enough that it could be owned instead in many cases. And it's very impressive considering the size, which is very handy. I think I'm even more impressed with it after having owned both.

But the FA*85's extra 2/3 of a stop actually comes in handy sometimes, it focuses quickly even when shooting sports, and I think it's my most important lens. I hope it's not too expensive to get one!
01-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
With either lens, I would suggest buying used, and letting someone else take the initial depreciation hit. But I know that some people like to buy new.
Great advice! But, it's not that most people wants to buy new, but usually, great lenses are:

1. Hard to come by, or sometimes even discontinued (e.g. Pentax A*85) or when they do
2. They are priced exorbitantly and
3. You know how LBA feels, when it calls (and fund's available) it's always: damn the torpedoes, if there's none in the MP, I'll get a brand new one.

01-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although I didn't give it a thorough test, the FA*85 *might* be a bit better than the FA77 in some respects (ultimate sharpness at a given aperture and pencil-thin depth of field), but it is HUGE and heavy, and I found its autofocus quick, but indecisive. The hood is the size of a breakfast bowl and almost as heavy, and it's very clunky to attach and to store reversed.

For my needs the FA77 was a clear winner.
01-23-2015, 11:53 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

The FA*85 is a nice lens to give shallow DOF type shots for full body type shots.
Pleasing bokeh in most situations (but to me all lenses fail in the bokeh in some bkgnd types, distance combinations )

To me, its a big heavy lens (with hood to match) and more catered as a special shoot of the day type lens.
So it almost always ends up as a lens I use for model photography.

Its not a lens that I would want to lug around for a whole week for travel photography (or when I am on man Friday duty with the family )

The FA77ltd, is very sharp (sharper than the FA*85 for sure).
Very strong drawing style, rendering and sharpness when stopped down just a little (ie. like f2, f2.5) which often in the right conditions, produces a 'pop' to the images.
Its also amazingly small and thus highly portable with an unobtrusive easy to use built in hood (all these add up so much to a good practical user experience, but no lens review is going to even mention nor give bonus points to such things)
As such, its a good all rounder lens and I end up using it more for family and travel.

IMO, they are both good.
It really depends on one's uses, budget and preference.
01-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #22

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

Thanks for the responses.
About the two lenses, they are both equally, or marginally sharper (one vs. the other, according to different people) , they are in the same price range (here in EU) , one is new, the other SH, but I am wondering which has the best bokeh. I' ve seen the bokeh of the 85mm and is creamy, like F1.4 creamy. The 77 mm has bokeh, but it doesn' t strike me as something to go `wow` . I guess that when the day comes (when my account will have enough money) , I will buy one, or the other. They seem to me equal.

All the best!

01-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having owned both (still have the FA* 85) the bokeh of the 77 is not nearly as good. The 77 is an excellent lens though, it's just that bokeh is the 85's best feature IMO.
01-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I have the filling that FA77 & FA*85 are close to each other in optical performance. Many think the FA85 is a bit better, but the FA77 is already so great that whatever your choice quality wise, you would be very satisfyed.

To me then other factor as are maybe more important like:
- The difference in optical parameters: max apperture and focal length
- The size/weight
- The look/build
- The price and availability of a warrenty

The choice of the FA77 was easy to me:
- I don't like lenses that are not available
- i don't like big lenses and big hoods
- I don't like the FA* finish that really feel outdate and cheap
- On APSC 77mm is already a bit long but great for many things... 85 might be a bit too long (you can thing of your Samyang for that).

As a side point, if you use AF to get the shoot and use shallow deph of field, in Pentax for now there is no shortcut. You need a K3. This is much more important than what AF lense you choose to get accurate foccusing for many reasons(*).

(*) More precise off center AF points, low light performance, stronger and faster in body AF motor, a few AF points optimized for fast lenses.
01-24-2015, 08:21 AM   #25

Yes, the FA* 85mm is big compared to 77mm Limited, but it's not big compared to other lenses of its caliber, such as the Canon 85mm f1.2 L or even the Otus 85mm, or the Sigma 85mm. It even weighs less than the Nikon 85mm f1.4
01-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Drake Avenue Quote
Yes, the FA* 85mm is big compared to 77mm Limited, but it's not big compared to other lenses of its caliber, such as the Canon 85mm f1.2 L or even the Otus 85mm, or the Sigma 85mm. It even weighs less than the Nikon 85mm f1.4
It's a pentax after all... This is a part of the equation.

The point is different: If you get out with say 3-4 primes like that it is already quite big. (Say a 24mm f/1.4 + 35mm f/1.4 + 50mm f/1.4 + 85mm f/1.4 all sharp at f/1.4...).

If you need the most possibilities out of your gear and weight/size is acceptable, the f/1.4 alone if all else was equal optically wise would justify the choice. It depend how you see it. But for sure for a shooting session with models, in studio or things like that is justify fully to get the 85mm f/1.4

If you like to wandering arround and take shoots, want to use primes while on trip and vacations... You'd want are likely to want a smaller kit. This where lenses like FA & DA ltd shine most.

We just need to know where are our priorities!
01-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #27

Original Poster
Hello,

QuoteQuote:
We just need to know where are our priorities!

What I want to focus on, is conceptual photography and street. Occasionally I do a photo shooting with models, so portraits and stuff (not really into it dough) .
I travel, or traveled a bit before. Not so much anymore (work) .

All the best!
01-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
the FA*85 *might* be a bit better than the FA77 in some respects ... but ... I found its autofocus quick, but indecisive.
Of course AF performance depends heavily on the body used (especially with screw-drive lenses) - do you find this is true even on the K-3? And in what way do you mean indecisive? I don't notice a problem on my K-5 and K-5 IIs - especially the IIs.

---------- Post added 01-24-15 at 05:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
I am wondering which has the best bokeh. I' ve seen the bokeh of the 85mm and is creamy, like F1.4 creamy. The 77 mm has bokeh, but it doesn' t strike me as something to go `wow` .
Don't forget, the FA*85 is uniquely designed to go Out-Of-Focus rather rapidly beyond the focal plane. Other lenses - even the A*85/1.4 - aren't really designed this way. Since I needed AF, I really had no choice. But it turns out that while this is conducive to portraits, it's also good for any other photography where you're isolating the subject. In other words, most of my photography (as well as that of many others). But this characteristic doesn't seem to hurt in other situations either. In truth, I've since realized that even my sports photos are really action portraits.

All I'm saying is that it seems, in practice, that the FA*85 ends up being ideal for many situations - more so than you might expect. The 85mm FL with an f/1.4 aperture actually works out nicely on a cropped sensor. It's usually the only lens I'll take to photograph my daughter or niece in a play on a dark stage. The FA77 used to work in these situations too, although I often found myself wanting to be able to go a little wider than f/1.8 in these dark situations, since they typically include unexpected motion. Just this lens (perhaps along with one or two other great lenses) can make your kit great. I think the only other lens that could be this useful (along with the ~comperable Sony and maybe Canon/Nikon 85s, if you happened to have those bodies instead) is the Sony Zeiss 135/1.8.

I paid about 50% more for my FA*85 than my FA77, and it was well worth it to me. If you can get an FA*85 for the same price it's an easy choice - assuming you don't need the FA77's smaller size.
01-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The FA*85 is a nice lens to give shallow DOF type shots for full body type shots.
Pleasing bokeh in most situations (but to me all lenses fail in the bokeh in some bkgnd types, distance combinations )

To me, its a big heavy lens (with hood to match) and more catered as a special shoot of the day type lens.
So it almost always ends up as a lens I use for model photography.

Its not a lens that I would want to lug around for a whole week for travel photography (or when I am on man Friday duty with the family )

The FA77ltd, is very sharp (sharper than the FA*85 for sure).
Very strong drawing style, rendering and sharpness when stopped down just a little (ie. like f2, f2.5) which often in the right conditions, produces a 'pop' to the images.
Its also amazingly small and thus highly portable with an unobtrusive easy to use built in hood (all these add up so much to a good practical user experience, but no lens review is going to even mention nor give bonus points to such things)
As such, its a good all rounder lens and I end up using it more for family and travel.

IMO, they are both good.
It really depends on one's uses, budget and preference.
Your little boy in the Santa Clause hat has Sold me on the FA77. That's for sure!
01-24-2015, 10:40 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Your little boy in the Santa Clause hat has Sold me on the FA77. That's for sure!
Ha..ha...
Glad you liked the pict.