Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 04:04 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax F 85mm F1.4 or Pentax FA 77mm F1.8

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello,

It comes to the two lenses in the title. Price wise, they' re about the same.
I have a 85 mm, from Samyang, but I' ve wanted to change it for a while now.
The lenses in the title come in mind. The 85 mm is hard to get and rather expensive here in Europe. The 77 mm is more accessible but I am interested if as far as IQ and bokeh it pairs with the 85mm.

All the best!

01-23-2015, 04:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my opinion is that either way you go the lens will be incredible.

The 77 has recently been crowned the "greatest Pentax lens"
Read more at: The FA 77mm Limited is the Greatest Pentax Lens - Pentax Lens Tournament | PentaxForums.com

The 77 is compact, has excellent build quality, a reputation for outstanding colour rendering the bokeh is dreamy IMO and to add to that, it can still be bought new. (plus many other strengths) I cannot speak for the 85mm but looking at the results other achieve with it, it couldnt be too far behind.
01-23-2015, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Having owned both lens I would say the FA*85mm 1.4 is both sharper and has better bokeh than the 77mm.
01-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Having owned both lens I would say the FA*85mm 1.4 is both sharper and has better bokeh than the 77mm.
that's what I would say, too. In general I think this is the opinion I found befor I decided to buy them. On the other hand, I have relized that the 77mm is not as prominent as the massive 85mm so your subject might feel more comfortable

01-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Have there been any good back-to-back comparisons of the Pentax 85mm to the Sigma 85mm? My Sigma 85mm has always impressed me, and it's certainly easier to find than the Pentax.
01-23-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: There's a Sigma 85mm f1.4 up for sale under BUY/SELL.
01-23-2015, 08:26 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read, (and) respond to this thread.

QuoteQuote:
That' s what I was afraid. Mostly because here in Europe it' s very hard to find, and to buy it from abroad, the taxes cost me as buying it from here, Europe. Which is about 30 [%] than in the USA.

QuoteQuote:
Have you considered the DA*55/1.4, as well? Lots of PForum members seem to like it.
Not really. I already have M 50mm F1.7, and I see it as enough. If i' d buy a 50, I' d buy a FA 50 mm F1.4. But right now this isn' t really a mind set.

I want to change the Samyang because the focus barrel is hard as heck to turn, and hard as heck to focus it (with my eyes) . I know it' s not a bottleneck in my photography, it being the main reason for the bad shots, but it' s something I' ve set my mind long ago.
So what else is better in a collection than a legend, like the 85? But the 77 is nifty as well. Still, the 85 has been on my mind for a while...
Can' t really find a detailed comparison between the two, neither a detailed review of them (individually) , can' t afford buying them both.
Still not decided, yet.

All the best!

01-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the FA 85 is probably a little better than the FA 77, but I don't think the difference is huge. On the other hand, 85mm seems a little long for a crop camera and the lens is a lot larger.

If the price was equal, I would probably chose the FA 85, but paying 20 to 30 percent more for a used lens, I would probably go with the FA 77 limited.
01-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

you can find the review of the 77mm here : SMC Pentax-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
and the 85mm here : SMC Pentax-FA* 85mm F1.4 [IF] Reviews - FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I did try the 77mm and I think it's a GREAT portrait lens, you can find some sample photo I took with it in the review link above hope this help !
01-23-2015, 10:34 AM   #10

I debated for months about these two lenses, and finally decided on the FA* 85mm. Yes, it's long (on my K5iis) and yes, it's big and heavy, but it's a fantastic lens. I don't regret my decision at all.
01-23-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: PF owners rate the 77 very slightly higher than the 85, but keep in mind, few if any own both lenses and are basing their ratings on side-by-side comparison. It's certain that whichever lens you purchase, you'll quickly decide the other was a better choice.
01-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You need to ask the opinion of those who actually own both lenses.....

I have both and I use them extensively. I have the 77 first, love it. Then I have the FA*85, hard to believe, but it tops the 77. Get the 85.
They are both very good, but the 85 beat out with a more "3D look", and 77 pic can look a little 'flat' compare to 85. My own taste.

The only reason the 77 is the Pentaxforum's 'best lens', I think, is because 85 is no longer in production so more people own the 77.

CA exist in both lenses.
01-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Have there been any good back-to-back comparisons of the Pentax 85mm to the Sigma 85mm? My Sigma 85mm has always impressed me, and it's certainly easier to find than the Pentax.
To answer my own question, I just found that the forum review of the Sigma 85mm is pretty much a head-to-head match up against the Pentax 85mm:

Review: Sigma 85mm F1.4 HSM - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

They found that the match up was pretty much a draw, with both lenses providing excellent results with sharp images and beautiful bokeh. They imply that the Sigma may have a bit more contrast, but in terms of overall image quality it was too close to call. The Sigma is a bit larger, but on the other hand, it has silent focusing and full-time manual focus override. It also costs less than the Pentax and comes with a warranty.

So just out of curiosity, have you considered the Sigma?
01-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
To answer my own question, I just found that the forum review of the Sigma 85mm is pretty much a head-to-head match up against the Pentax 85mm:

Review: Sigma 85mm F1.4 HSM - Review | PentaxForums.com Reviews

They found that the match up was pretty much a draw, with both lenses providing excellent results with sharp images and beautiful bokeh. They imply that the Sigma may have a bit more contrast, but in terms of overall image quality it was too close to call. The Sigma is a bit larger, but on the other hand, it has silent focusing and full-time manual focus override. It also costs less than the Pentax and comes with a warranty.

So just out of curiosity, have you considered the Sigma?

Hello,

Not really. I have a Sigma 17- 50 F2.8, but reading on the internet about this firm, it shows me that their QC is well, lacking. A friend of mine bought the exact same lens, but on a Nikon mount, its OS is rubbish (Pentax has in body, I know I know) , and it isn' t really that sharp (compared to the Pentax mount) . Not saying that they are building sharper for Pentax, just that I was lucky.
If it would prove it will last as long as the Pentax 85 mm' s, I' d buy it, but I sincerely have my doubts. Here is around 1000$+ the Sigma.

All the best!

P.S. If anything, I' ll wait for Pentax to release the FF. Maybe they' ll release a 85mm that will worth the money (new) . Although, in Europe it will come with the exact sum as a price, just changed the currency.

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 01-23-2015 at 12:18 PM.
01-23-2015, 02:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Not really. I have a Sigma 17- 50 F2.8, but reading on the internet about this firm, it shows me that their QC is well, lacking. A friend of mine bought the exact same lens, but on a Nikon mount, its OS is rubbish (Pentax has in body, I know I know) , and it isn' t really that sharp (compared to the Pentax mount) . Not saying that they are building sharper for Pentax, just that I was lucky. If it would prove it will last as long as the Pentax 85 mm' s, I' d buy it, but I sincerely have my doubts. Here is around 1000$+ the Sigma.
The Sigma also sells for around $1000 new here in the US ($969), but on the used market it can be found in the $700-$800 range if you're patient. There's actually one on eBay UK right now for 480 pounds (~$725 USD):

Sigma EX 85mm F1 4 DG HSM Fast Prime Autofocus Lens Pentax Free UK Post 0085126320614 | eBay

As far as QC, I think Sigma has picked up their game in recent years. My 85mm feels like a high quality lens to me, and the warranty is much longer than on Pentax lenses.

Anyway, just something to consider. I know that Pentax lenses have a certain mystique surrounding them, but maybe if you can't find a Pentax 85mm right away, you could try out the Sigma, and either sell it later, or keep it if it turns out to be to your liking. That's the way I approach most of my lens purchases.