Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #46
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
I LOVE SNIPERS and last minute bidders - they are what keep me from buying things I should never had bid on in the first place, but LBA got the better of me. Do you know how many auctions I've sweated out, fearing I might win until in the last few seconds I've been rescued from my folly.
hahaha I guess that is a positive look on them.. I think we need to recreate ebay auctions in a skit/comedy routine...

You could see the shiny lens.. instantly click bid now.. then after the 'Congratulations.. you are the highest bidder' bar arrives at the top of your screen, see your smile turn into a frown as you look at the money you locked into that auction bid. Next .. you're looking like this guy:

Come on, come on, come on out bid me.. keep the bids going!!! You can do it!!!!

01-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Know the heart pounding feeling at the end of an auction, do I win or not? There were plenty I got outbid on at the end. I always was only willing to go the average value over the time I had been looking. There were a few I got cheaply, lower than the highest I was willing to pay. I remember STak 20/4.5 at USD200, with hood and caps and cases, I was the only bidder and got it at opening price. STak 105/2.8 that closed on Christmas Eve, evening, in San Diego at USD72 are the standouts. My best buys on lenses were where there was some anomaly in the listing, but always I only considered bidding if the pictures showed it looked good, so poor picture led to no bid from me.
01-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #48
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
My best buys on lenses were where there was some anomaly in the listing, but always I only considered bidding if the pictures showed it looked good,
Advice like this was posted by an old time member RioRico, who is no longer active on the Forums, in one or more posts I should probably dig out (and for those buying a lens in person start here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-le...ers-guide.html). The other area I've had success has been in getting lenses attached to undesirable cameras or flashes or other bigger packages. Picked up an F100-300 + camera + manuals + remote trigger + right angle bracket (which I had also wanted) for the opening bid price or something close to it. Shipping almost cost more than all the items. When the lens arrived slightly damaged I couldn't argue too hard, because in reality how much did I actually pay for it
01-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Congrats, "r...t" as 3rd time (bottom 3 links) was the charm as they say for winning one. And, I suspect, you won the best out of the bunch (the first 3 were obviously dropped, yours just looks like a dead or even simply stuck SDM)
You may be correct that I won the best of the lot, but unfortunately they shipped me the wrong one. They sent me one of the ones with a loose element. SDM works great, unfortunately it doesn't do much good when an element is loose. I'd rather convert to screwdrive and take sharp photos than take blurry photos with SDM. Needless to say, it's going back. Hopefully they have some more like what I was supposed to get and they can send me another or the person that gets mine returns it and I get what I ordered, but I won't hold my breath.

01-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #50
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by transam879 Quote
You may be correct that I won the best of the lot, but unfortunately they shipped me the wrong one. They sent me one of the ones with a loose element. SDM works great, unfortunately it doesn't do much good when an element is loose. I'd rather convert to screwdrive and take sharp photos than take blurry photos with SDM. Needless to say, it's going back. Hopefully they have some more like what I was supposed to get and they can send me another or the person that gets mine returns it and I get what I ordered, but I won't hold my breath.
Couldn't you open it up and correct the looseness ?

-----------------------------------------

In other news, I'm wondering who is "Member Id: s***d( 25)" on ebay? They have been bidding on just about every. single. Pentax item as of late. To the point where I made notice of it.
01-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Now the question is, does that mean Pentax HQ is getting ready to move, downsizing or making room for more items?
This will be the third recent disposal of open-box and otherwise imperfect gear by Pentax HQ I've heard of - and I'm just a guy in St. Louis. They moved their distribution center and repair facility in Golden summer of 2012 and stopped selling parts to the public last year.

They're just realizing whatever value they can without having to piece it out themselves.
01-26-2015, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Couldn't you open it up and correct the looseness ?
I though about that but the element isn't just loose, it's flopping around inside and there are a lot of small shards of glass from it chipping against the metal thing supposed to hold it in place.

01-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #53
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So more to the story, one of the sellers was offering a load of broken/parts K-r bodies. I bought one and received it in the mail today. Upon giving it a lookover, I discovered it had an SD card inside!

That rendered a single image taken where it looks like a lot of Pentax gear in a warehouse. Strange.
Attached Images

01-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So more to the story, one of the sellers was offering a load of broken/parts K-r bodies. I bought one and received it in the mail today. Upon giving it a lookover, I discovered it had an SD card inside!

That rendered a single image taken where it looks like a lot of Pentax gear in a warehouse. Strange.
Too bad it wasn't GPS tagged...
01-30-2015, 03:47 PM   #55
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did a deep scan recovery and found a lot more.. some guy working in there, making a PB sammich, him wrapping a camera body in plastic, and a lot of blurry ones where the 'photographer' was rapid firing while making circles with the camera. Look to originally have been from a K-30 (the memory card) with exif date back in november 2012.
01-30-2015, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #56
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So.. here are some of the burst shots on the memory card after deep scan. This, alone, is worth the cost I paid for the camera.

Last edited by mee; 02-26-2018 at 06:58 PM.
01-30-2015, 07:13 PM   #57
Veteran Member

So.. here are some of the burst shots on the memory card after deep scan. This, alone, is worth the cost I paid for the camera.
Any chance you can zoom in at the PC monitor on the right?
01-30-2015, 07:33 PM   #58
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's wikipedia.. looks like he might be searching the word 'dessicant'
01-30-2015, 09:48 PM   #59
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One other interesting image on the card..
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Keep Refrigerated?