Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Dear, "i...i" and "r....t" on ebay, bidding on the 50-135mm lenses

"i...i", you gave it a gallant run.. 3 tries.. each a little more... but, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

eBay.com Item Bid History
then
then
then

Don't worry, I got my bid kicked back into my face too. I think ebay laughed at me.. it sat there for a bit, timer stuck at 0 with my low bid, wondering if it should even bother telling me I was out bid by 100 dollars.

Congrats, "r...t" as 3rd time (bottom 3 links) was the charm as they say for winning one. And, I suspect, you won the best out of the bunch (the first 3 were obviously dropped, yours just looks like a dead or even simply stuck SDM)

It was fun while it lasted.. apparently, a repair shop in Denver closed and a ton of 'broken' 50-135mm and 16-50mm lenses, as well as a trio of 'broken' FA31's, a DA15, a DA*55, a DA200, and a DA300 have been auctioned over the past couple days on ebay by a few, different sellers in Colorado. The 50-135s were largely drops (elements loose or detached or hood ring broken/cracked) with a few seemingly just SDM faults (AF not working).

FA31s each went for over 500 a piece.. even with focusing issues. Starting bid was 99.. I thought I had a shot at one until it jumped from around 107 to over 500 within ~12 seconds at the end. lots of snipers.

01-23-2015, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here's some advice that helped me on Ebay.

1) Know you're absolute MAXIUM BID. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. WHAT'S THIS THING WORTH? And don't nibble dollar by dollar over it. It will only exasperate you.

2) Enter your MAXIMUM BID near the END of the auction. Say....1 minute or so. If the BID already is higher than what you're comfortable with then For God's Sake DON'T BID!

Why you ask wait until near the end of the auction to place your MAXIMUM BID? Because there are thousands of doofus's that simply like to "nibble" the bid up and up and up just to see where the end is. Waiting till about 1 minute before the auction ends prevents them from pushing the price up until the very end when they don't have time to nibble to your maximum bid.

For instance.....say the Price of the FA 31 is at $350. If you bid now then someone else just bumps it up. If you wait until a minute or so before the end of the auction while the bid is still at $350 and put in $550 your maximum bid, then these little nibblers don't have time to increment it up 5 dollars at a time.

If you don't win....Feel good that most of these boobs have paid WAY TOO much for the item, knowing that there will be another day for you to bid and SAVE yourself hundreds knowing they won't be able to make their car payment that month. BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAA
01-23-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Driline's got it. Anyone who bids before 1 minute to the end of the auction, is a fool. Unless you're bidding on some cheap odd item in the hope nobody else will see it and bid also.
01-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #4
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Good tips for those new to ebay for sure! I just like to try to snipe it.. but only because I know most people are doing the same so just putting in a normal bid knocks you out in the end. Plus there are the sniping sites/apps to do it automatically... and people tend to go nuts on these things, sometimes bidding more than the value of the item. So the tips you mention are helpful.

What is really annoying, to me, is when people get in a chest pounding match with the other bidders and start bumping up the price well before the auction is set to end.. almost looks like a oneupmanship competition of egos colliding -- "I'll show you!" not realizing they are just increasing the base level of what the item will end up going for, for those in the heat of the hunt.

Your tip can mitigate this... but only if willing to bid much higher in the first place.. for us wanting to keep the final price super cheap, that doesn't help! haha

---------- Post added 01-23-15 at 04:36 PM ----------

Oh and another DA15, a 60-250 (with something ratting inside), and an FA77 went today... from a different Denver seller. Wonder what store went out of business and why they had so much broken Pentax gear on hand?!

01-23-2015, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Your tip can mitigate this... but only if willing to bid much higher in the first place.. for us wanting to keep the final price super cheap, that doesn't help! haha
Ok, that's why you only put as much as you want to pay. If the item is worth 500 but you'd only buy it if you find a good deal at 400, enter 402 or something like that.

And just because you enter 400, doesn't mean that's what you'll end up paying. You'll just pay the minimum bid over the next highest bidder. For example, if the next higher bidder bid 350 and the bid increases by 5, then you'll end up paying 355, even though you stated that your max was 400.
01-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Denver is where Pentax corporate and their parts distributor was located.
Ricoh moved the offices to downtown.
01-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you aren't using a bid sniper to bid on Ebay items, you are doing it wrong.

GIXEN - Free eBay Auction Sniper
01-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
1) Know you're absolute MAXIUM BID. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. WHAT'S THIS THING WORTH? And don't nibble dollar by dollar over it. It will only exasperate you.

2) Enter your MAXIMUM BID near the END of the auction. Say....1 minute or so. If the BID already is higher than what you're comfortable with then For God's Sake DON'T BID!
This.

I got one of those, the one with the cracked lens hood mount... hopefully it's not money down the drain. We'll see in a couple of weeks I guess.

01-23-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

You still have to have a maximum bid using sniper. There's no difference doing it yourself at the last minute or having sniper do it. The only reason to use sniper is to bid for you if you can't be there at the end of the auction. What fun is that?
01-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
There's no difference doing it yourself at the last minute or having sniper do it. The only reason to use sniper is to bid for you if you can't be there at the end of the auction. What fun is that?
Well the difference is I can be in bed at 2am instead of sitting at the computer waiting to bid on a lens.

But in the end yes, it really does come down to highest bid.

However with a sniper, you can set it and forget it days in advance and just not worry about it (too much).
01-23-2015, 04:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
"i...i", you gave it a gallant run.. 3 tries.. each a little more... but, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

then
then
then

Don't worry, I got my bid kicked back into my face too. I think ebay laughed at me.. it sat there for a bit, timer stuck at 0 with my low bid, wondering if it should even bother telling me I was out bid by 100 dollars.

Congrats, "r...t" as 3rd time (bottom 3 links) was the charm as they say for winning one. And, I suspect, you won the best out of the bunch (the first 3 were obviously dropped, yours just looks like a dead or even simply stuck SDM)

It was fun while it lasted.. apparently, a repair shop in Denver closed and a ton of 'broken' 50-135mm and 16-50mm lenses, as well as a trio of 'broken' FA31's, a DA15, a DA*55, a DA200, and a DA300 have been auctioned over the past couple days on ebay by a few, different sellers in Colorado. The 50-135s were largely drops (elements loose or detached or hood ring broken/cracked) with a few seemingly just SDM faults (AF not working).

FA31s each went for over 500 a piece.. even with focusing issues. Starting bid was 99.. I thought I had a shot at one until it jumped from around 107 to over 500 within ~12 seconds at the end. lots of snipers.
I wasn't bidding on any of the items but was watching it. I think one of the 50-135 jumped $200 in the last three seconds.
01-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I like this post ! I am my own sniper bid ! Love it.

Rule #1.........NEVER bid before the last 10 seconds of the auction end.
Rule #2.....Bid what you think it is worth the last 5 seconds.
Rule #3....If your tempted to drop a few bids and feel things out....See Rule #1

Rule #1 and rule #2....have generated a LOT of hoops and hollers from Ebay wins around here.
01-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote

This is what I was going to post, almost word for word, including Gixen.
01-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #14
mee
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
I wasn't bidding on any of the items but was watching it. I think one of the 50-135 jumped $200 in the last three seconds.
That was probably the one on which I bid! The FA31 on which I bid did that too.. starting bid was 99.. cool. Last 10 seconds in, I put in my bid of around 250 for it.. only to immediately be greeted with a message "You'e been outbid.. please bid more than 504 dollars" haha

Checked the history and in that 10 seconds there were at least 6 other bidders firing off bids. It got frenzied!

I bid and won one of the 16-50 f/2.8 lenses that said 'AF not working' claims glass is good though.. so hopefully its just a burnt SDM and it can simply be reprogrammed to screw drive and enjoyed.
01-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Denver is where Pentax corporate and their parts distributor was located.
Ricoh moved the offices to downtown.
They actually moved to downtown Denver from Golden.