Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Forum Member

Wanted: Advice about scratched lens

Hello dear Pentaxians,

I posted a thread today about miserable me searching for a Pentax-A 35-105 because I already missed twice an auction on Eekaboobay.

Unexpected I got immediately an answer from a dear fellow Forum member, .

I'm offered such a lens (Pentax-A 35-105), but as the seller confesses, there are some scratches on the front lens.
I included a picture the seller send me.
I also did include two pictures taken with this lens by the seller.

Can anybody give me advice about purchasing this lens.
I like such a lens, but I wanted to be really sure that these scratches do not have any influence on the images.
I cannot see any harm is been caused by these scratches to the images, but it could very well be the case that I am too unexperienced to notice. I'm not that experienced (yet) in DSLR.

Do these scratches make this lens a burden to buy of is it only a cosmetically incompleteness???
Please give some comments on this topic. I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your kind attention,

JML

And yes indeed: this is also a Macro Lens: would this change your opinions or judgements?

Attached Images

Last edited by JML; 05-28-2008 at 02:27 PM.
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

someone once did a trick to me when I was really concerned about a "scratch" on my lens (really really really small nic). He tore off a small piece of a post-it-note and stick it to my lens in some random spot and told me to look through the lens. I didn't even see the post it note.

Now, what does that have to do with anything? There's a good chance you will never notice the scratch on your lens, ever. (macro lenses not included)

But it is a scratch, something permanent, the price should reflect that.
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JML Quote
Hello dear Pentaxians,

I posted a thread today about miserable me searching for a Pentax-A 35-105 because I already missed twice an auction on Eekaboobay.

Unexpected I got immediately an answer from a dear fellow Forum member, .

I'm offered such a lens (Pentax-A 35-105), but as the seller confesses, there are some scratches on the front lens.
I included a picture the seller send me.
I also did inlcude two pictures taken with this lens by the seller.

Can anybody give me advice about purchasing this lens.
I like such a lens, but I wanted to be really sure that these scratches are not
I cannot see any harm is been caused by these scratches to the images, but it could very well be the case that I am too unexperineced to notice>
I'm not that experienced (yet) in DSLR.

Do these scratches make this lens a burden to buy of is it only a cosmetically incompleteness???
Please give some comments on this topic. I would be very grateful.

Thank you for your kind attention,

JML
I doubt it will cause any major (if any) impact on the image quality. If your really unsure, make him take a picture of a clear blue sky with a few clouds on it and send the raw file to you. Apply some contrast and play with curves/levels. I doubt you will find anything, but if there is any impact, a blue sky would show it. Thats my opinion.

On the other hand, if you are an aspiring collector that want to collect mint only stuff, maybe you should look elsewhere, whats the price of the lens?

EDIT: After reading my own post I realised I did not really stress that I doubt those marks will give you any problem. They dont look very deep.
05-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The traditional reply: minor scratches, or even a big one, often won't make a difference in actual photography. Ultra careful reply: perhaps in SOME situations, where light hits it just right, there may be a MINOR effect (probably overwhelmed by flare etc in any case).

I think its a matter that affects monetary value rather than phtographic value.

(In many golden age lenses, there are flaws in the glass... which still did not disqualify the lens from excellence.)

05-28-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'd ask to see some full size samples shot at minimum f stop against a clean background before buying. This will reveal any defects the scratches will produces. Also look for samples shooting into the sun. Scratches cause more flare.

In the end, it may be a fine lens. Just make sure you get samples from extreme cases to prove it's worth to you.