Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2015, 08:07 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Albums
Purosol + Eclipse = no more lens fungus!

As I've been watching the Rolex 24 Hour race I've also been cleaning lenses during the commercial breaks. I have decided to tackle cleaning my Pentax 67 135mm lens which had a tiny bit of fungus forming along the edge of the forward element. I was worried about any harsh 'home remedy' chemicals to I broke out the 'approved' professional chemicals and figured I would try something safe first.

After removing the front ring I sprayed Purosol on the lens and then turned it upside down. I didn't want to risk any liquid seeping into the lens cell and even upside down the Purosol is doing its job. After letting the lens soak for about 15 minutes I cleaned off the element with 100% cotton squares women used to clean makeup. Because Purosol leaves some streaks I followed it with a few drops of Eclipse cleaning fluid. Some more gentle wiping with cotton squares is all it took. The dust was removed with a rocket blower. Not only is the front element totally clear of fungus but it is the cleanest I've ever seen it!

Sorry I didn't take photos of the process but I figured it would be self explanatory. I think this is the method I'm going to use from now on to tackle fungus cleaning.

Purosol: Purosol Optical Cleaner - 4 oz PUOC-10003 B&H Photo Video

Eclipse: Photographic Solutions Eclipse Optic Cleaning Solution (2 oz) EC

Cotton squares: http://www.amazon.com/Equate-Premium-Cotton-Squares-160ct/dp/B00E9I28OU/ref=...sin=B00E9I28OU

Lens Blower: Giottos Q Ball Air Blower (Black CL2810 B&H Photo Video

obin

Last edited by Obin Robinson; 01-25-2015 at 08:27 AM.
01-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm...I have always used just plain old isopropyl alcohol. It cleans off the fungus and should sterilize the surface. Is there a danger to the lens coating when using iso?
01-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
I have used fiber optic cable cleaner which is an ultra pure isopropyl. The 'problem' was that it took a little while. Supposedly Purosol is made from extremely neutral ingredients which won't damage coatings. This is right from their website:

QuoteQuote:
Gentle enough for use on all optical and coated lenses, it contains no alcohol, ammonia, detergent, or any other traditional solvent which can damage your expensive coatings. Purosol leaves no residue and is free of silicone, graphite and glycerin.

https://purosol.com/environment/
QuoteQuote:
All-natural PurosolŪ cleaners are prepared by Origin Laboratories using organic plant extracts, and cutting-edge laboratory research to create a sterile, environmentally friendly state-of-the-art products.

Whatever magical stuff they're putting in there works great. I bought it to clean fungus from my telescope eyepieces and it worked great. Eyepieces will attract lens fungus because they get used in a humid outdoor environment and then are put away damp in a dark container. I figured it wouldn't hurt trying to tackle camera lens fungus.

obin
01-25-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cannot find any list for what is actually in Purosol. Don't therefore trust it, sorry!

01-25-2015, 05:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bookmarked...
01-25-2015, 07:12 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
BTW @Obin, great avatar!

LOL you're the first one to notice it and say something. It's hard to believe I have been watching that show for 25 years. Even though it's not broadcast anymore there are a few on Netflix as well as a slew online. We have quite a few episodes on DVD too.

obin
01-25-2015, 08:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
It's actually Joel. I found that avatar a long time ago.

obin
01-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It's dedicated lens cleaning solution.

You can choose to trust it or not, but it's just as good as anything else. SMC coatings are the toughest around and can withstand acetone, mineral spirits, MEK, naptha, and many other organic solvents, including even methylene chloride! A gentle cleaner like Purosol isn't going to hurt them.
Sorry, it can be as "dedicated" as it wants - It get's quite poor reviews and no-one knows what the active ingredients actually are. So, it's a complete mystery what one is smearing over the lens.

01-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry, it can be as "dedicated" as it wants - It get's quite poor reviews and no-one knows what the active ingredients actually are. So, it's a complete mystery what one is smearing over the lens.

Who's reviewing it poorly? On Amazon and B&H it gets great reviews. The MSDS is here:

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/msds/purosol/purosol_plasma.pdf

I have yet to hear about it damaging a lens or eyepiece. It is one of the preferred cleaning agents that Astro Physics recommends.
http://www.astro-physics.com/products/accessories/cleaningproducts/optcs-instructions.pdf

That's actually how I first heard of it. Do you really think they would sell you a $20,000 telescope and then recommend something that would damage the optics? Purosol is good stuff. All you need to do is follow it up with Eclipse and the surface will be perfectly clean.

obin
01-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Several really bad reviews on Amazon, to name but one. Also, the MSDS gives absolutely no ingredients. No-one knows what's in this stuff. It may just be water, it may not. There are various reports on the net of coatings damage and also deposits left on the lenses after cleaning, some describing this as a "haze". Many reviewers say it leaves a "film" or "oily deposit". Some say it leaves "streaks". I strongly suspect that there's very little in the bottle other than distilled water and, possibly, some orange oil, or some such substance.

Anyway, if it works for you - go for it. I won't use a product if I don't know what's in it.
01-26-2015, 07:46 PM   #11

Original Poster
It's absolutely fine with me that they don't disclose the ingredients. That is no different than the "Colonel's secret recipe" at KFC. If one of the premier telescope and astrograph companies in the world recommends them then that is good enough for me.

obin
01-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
It's absolutely fine with me that they don't disclose the ingredients. That is no different than the "Colonel's secret recipe" at KFC. If one of the premier telescope and astrograph companies in the world recommends them then that is good enough for me.

obin
Mmmm. I'll not be rubbing the Colonel's (Actually, he was not a real Colonel) "11 herbs and spices" on any of my lenses! An acquaintance of mine actually met the man, but he did not disclose the "secret ingredient".