Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Viv 28mm Close Focus

I went out of town for a bit, but I finally got around to playing with the lens I bought from the marketplace.

I'd say I'm impressed. I'm still having a little trouble with the manual focusing though. It's a little harder on a k20d than on a k1000.

Here's a 100% crop from some books.

I think I'll use this more on my k1000 than my k20d. Well, that's until I get different focusing screen.

Thanks for the lens Jim!

05-28-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
I went out of town for a bit, but I finally got around to playing with the lens I bought from the marketplace.

I'd say I'm impressed. I'm still having a little trouble with the manual focusing though. It's a little harder on a k20d than on a k1000.

I think I'll use this more on my k1000 than my k20d. Well, that's until I get different focusing screen.

Thanks for the lens Jim!
You're welcome, indeed! Keep those pictures coming.

Seems you're making the forray into DSLR from the same film SLR - the K1000. I still have mine too, but it's packed away in a closet for now. I scavenged everything from the K1000 - including the camera strap!

To help with focus, the split screen will be a great upgrade. Until then, pay attention to the little hexagon in the viewfinder (if a 20D has one) and be sure your focus mode is set to AF-C. Hell, you know all this stuff already....
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This one really isn't in focus, but it looks pretty sharp.

05-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
You're welcome, indeed! Keep those pictures coming.

Seems you're making the forray into DSLR from the same film SLR - the K1000. I still have mine too, but it's packed away in a closet for now. I scavenged everything from the K1000 - including the camera strap!

To help with focus, the split screen will be a great upgrade. Until then, pay attention to the little hexagon in the viewfinder (if a 20D has one) and be sure your focus mode is set to AF-C. Hell, you know all this stuff already....
Ha, actually I hadn't thought to change the focus mode to C. I'll make sure to do that next time. Should I change the focus point also?

05-28-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Up to you really. Subjects are mostly at center for my style of shooting. For manual focus you may prefer center focus as well, set focus on subject then compose as needed. I like having full control over the DOF so I can concentrate or relax the attention a viewer may give to the subject of a photograph. The scene most often presents needed context in people shots.

I don't know if this is how it works, but... Addition of focal points may add info to the camera from various focus points, and help adjust settings for appropriate depth of field for a given scene. I may have to experiment with that...
05-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, that sounds easy enough. Thanks.
05-29-2008, 12:43 AM   #7

Ufff.. awesome pictures... I am waiting for mine, i won on ebay a vivitar 28mm close focus...

05-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

cooldude, I saw a Close Focus on Ebay, but it was manual aperture. Still, it will be a great lens. Every Vivitar 28mm I've come across has been capable of excellent pictures.
05-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OT: thought of asking it here instead...

any word about Focal 28mm f2.8 lens? has anyone ever experienced using one?
05-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Focal lenses used to be sold at the local K-Mart in the 70s. I have not had any experience with them, but the reputation is somewhat average as they were entry level, low dollar equipment.

Vivitar used to be viewed the same way (some lenses good, others not) and they had some very nice 28mm glass - even before the Series 1 stuff came about.

If you can pick up a Focal lens for $2 at a yard sale, or $1 plus shipping on Ebay, it would be worthwhile to experiment, I think - Especially if you can get one with auto aperture.
06-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #11

Jim,

Thanks for the info! Highly appreciated!
06-12-2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by praxxis Quote
OT: thought of asking it here instead...

any word about Focal 28mm f2.8 lens? has anyone ever experienced using one?
Did you find one? I saw one for sale on Ebay last week, but didn't bite.
06-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by TourDeForce Quote
Did you find one? I saw one for sale on Ebay last week, but didn't bite.
the one i saw slipped away... but i'm more keen on finding a Viv even if it's not the CF type...