Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

77mm Limited

While I was out having fun, I was finally able to use my 77mm limited. This was my first time shooting an event. I was pretty pleased with the pictures, but on a few of them I got a blue streak across the picture. I was wondering if it was lens flare because I was using the lens hood ... I also noticed some purple fringing on a few of the shots, but it was pretty bright out.

05-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #2

It does seem to look like some sort of flare, or maybe reflection? Did you have a filter attached to the lens, I wonder if that made some kind of reflection.
05-29-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really looks like you have a UV filter on the lens.. if not, you should try take some pic without the lens hood
05-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually stopped using filters after reading a few of the should I or shouldn't I use a filter threads, so no filter was on there. I thought it was weird because I wasn't in the same spot for the pictures and I have not had lens flare that looks like this before.

05-29-2008, 08:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you notice any bright reflection object at the side when you were taking the pic? that's really weird i have never seen that kinda flare also. Now I wonder if it is because it is suppose to be a film lens it doesn't have the coating at the back of the lens to stop the light from reflecting from the sensor itself... OR internal flare between the glass elements..
05-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
While I was out having fun, I was finally able to use my 77mm limited. This was my first time shooting an event. I was pretty pleased with the pictures, but on a few of them I got a blue streak across the picture. I was wondering if it was lens flare because I was using the lens hood ... I also noticed some purple fringing on a few of the shots, but it was pretty bright out.
Like the others I would guess that something very bright was reflecting on one of your side. Don't forget to pull the attached hood to the maximum. You may also try a bigger hood. BTW these blue streaks should be visible in the viewfinder when you take the pictures.
05-29-2008, 10:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tested this out again?

05-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't tested it out again. The semester just started, and I was in a different state when I shot these. From what I remember there wasn't anything beside me that should have been reflecting anything. It was just a large group of people, probably one or two others with cameras and one with a video camera. I'll try to get out and test it again, but I'm not sure what good that will do because it didn't happen on every picture. Those were the only ones that it showed up on throughout the entire day.
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My surroundings

05-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
You've managed to make the lens flare a bit. It happens. I shot some portraits for a couple several years ago with my 77mm on the LX. They wanted it shot by candle light, which I figured was going to be a problem, but went ahead and did it anyway.
I got some very nice shots, all of which had candle flame shaped flares in various places around the frames.
The 77 is an excellent lens, but it is more flare prone than other Pentax lenses. You seem to have elicited a bit of veiling flare as well, which I hadn't seen before from that lens.