Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenseep data specification

Does anyone the file contents specification for the DA* 16-50?

I just received my brand new lens from B&H with a 904XXXX serial number which would make about fours years old. This would make the lens older than the "2012 SDM fix". If the lenseep file contained a creation or configuration date, I would have a better understanding of the age of the lens. I am worried about the SDM.

01-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The lenseep file is just a bunch of tables of hex values. I dont think you'll find anything to do with manufacture date in there.
01-27-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Worry about the SDM when it fails.
No doubt you already plan to use your K10D to export the LENSEEP file and have an already-hacked version to convert it to screw drive immediately.
01-27-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
The lenseep file is just a bunch of tables of hex values. I dont think you'll find anything to do with manufacture date in there.
Every config, data, and executable file I ever designed had a creation date field. It is invaluable for troubleshooting. I can't imagine this would not have it.

01-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
Does anyone the file contents specification for the DA* 16-50?

I just received my brand new lens from B&H with a 904XXXX serial number which would make about fours years old. This would make the lens older than the "2012 SDM fix". If the lenseep file contained a creation or configuration date, I would have a better understanding of the age of the lens. I am worried about the SDM.
Pentax serial numbers aren't sequential. Look at the paperwork accompanying your lens and you'll have a good indication of when it was produced. If you have Pentax Ricoh paperwork, it's from 2012. If you have paperwork referring to Ricoh Imaging and a white warranty card with the Pentax logo, it's from 2013-2014. If you have a grey warranty card with the Ricoh logo, then it would be a late 2014 production run.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax serial numbers aren't sequential. Look at the paperwork accompanying your lens and you'll have a good indication of when it was produced. If you have Pentax Ricoh paperwork, it's from 2012. If you have paperwork referring to Ricoh Imaging and a white warranty card with the Pentax logo, it's from 2013-2014. If you have a grey warranty card with the Ricoh logo, then it would be a late 2014 production run.
Adam,

I have a black box with a gold stripe that has "Hoya" printed on the bottom. I have a white 2010 "Pentax Hoya" Operating Manual. I have a white "Pentax Worldwide Service Network" that does not mention Ricoh or Hoya. I have a white "not a Warranty Card, but a Serial Number Card" (quote of the card) that does not mention Hoya or Ricoh. That's all the paperwork I have. When was my lens made? 2010? 2011? Did B & H sell a five or six year old lens to me?

Thanks.
01-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Worry about the SDM when it fails.
No doubt you already plan to use your K10D to export the LENSEEP file and have an already-hacked version to convert it to screw drive immediately.
That's what I will do. I bought this lens for travel. I would be quite upset if this failed 10,000 miles and three weeks from home. The AW is important to me. That is why I am not taking my tamron 17-50 for travel.

The lenseep layout is a nice intellectual challange.

01-27-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
That's what I will do. I bought this lens for travel. I would be quite upset if this failed 10,000 miles and three weeks from home. The AW is important to me. That is why I am not taking my tamron 17-50 for travel.

The lenseep layout is a nice intellectual challange.
You're telling me.

I screwed up my 16-50 lenseep and basically bricked the lens.

I have 5 different lenseep files that I have gathered and was hoping to combine the best attributes of each to make one for the lens

I shot test pics with all 5 files and noted the ranges of good focus.

From what I can tell each of the four blocks corresponds to a range of focal lengths (16-21,21-28,28-37,37-50) and should contain the focus values for each range in the 16 lines, but mixing and matching didn't seem to work so well. So I gave up.

If you want a challenge I will sell you my 16-50 and Lenseeps. Lol
01-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You're telling me.

I have 5 different lenseep files that I have gathered and was hoping to combine the best attributes of each to make one for the lens

I shot test pics with all 5 files and noted the ranges of good focus.

From what I can tell each of the four blocks corresponds to a range of focal lengths (16-21,21-28,28-37,37-50) and should contain the focus values for each range in the 16 lines, but mixing and matching didn't seem to work so well. So I gave up.

If you want a challenge I will sell you my 16-50 and Lenseeps. Lol
If you had the spec you would have a fighting chance.
01-27-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I could probably decode the meaning of each column. There aren't really that many that are different from one lenseep to the next. What frustrated me was when I changed blocks and combined them I got strange behavior only at certain focal lengths and at ones where I had good performance before. So there must be overlap.
05-13-2015, 04:25 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery

I have 5 different lenseep files
Does that mean you were not able to restore the original data in the end? Did the lens stop accepting updates after a while or how did this come to be? Or did you forget to make a copy of your lens's data first?

Ahh - I found your thread on this topic now (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/280690-im-i...s-16-50-a.html).

So, your problem is that you were never able to get the original file from the lens because someone else did disable the SMD drive by writing a new lenseep into the lens and you never got the original file before the modification from the previous owner?

Last edited by tempelorg; 05-13-2015 at 04:34 AM.
05-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No. I screwed it up. Funny story though, I got another lens and converted it, and when I tried the file from the new one it worked amazingly well in the bricked one. Too bad I couldn't have found that one for free.

I sold the one I messed up for a very nice price and included the best lenseep and all the others I had.
05-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

Photos: Gallery
BTW, did you (or others here) know that someone in a German forum actually managed to decypher most of the meaning in the lenseep file, i.e. which positions relate to which focal length ranges and such?

It appears that at least one person (Volker, voko) managed to fix a focus jump himself by messing with the values.

See DSLR-Forum - Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen - Da*50-135 AF Brennweiten- UND Blendenabh
05-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Yes I saw that. I never managed to get it working just right using bits and pieces of other lensroms and I don't understand hex values. So I gave up.
10-13-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I saw that. I never managed to get it working just right using bits and pieces of other lensroms and I don't understand hex values. So I gave up.
Wibbly,

Would you be willing to email me those eeprom files in a .zip? I'd love to try a few out on my old 16-50. I would host it on my web server for others here to download as well. I'll PM you regarding this with my email address.

Thanks!