Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Toronto Pentaxians - - New / Used lenses in Toronto?

I'm gonna spend the summer in Toronto, don't think I can make the whole summer without buying some new and used lenses, wondered where in Toronto were good places to browse used lenses.

For new, I'm assuming Henry's or Vistek, unless I am missing something. (last summer I only had Canon gear)

Thanks
Brian

05-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Henry's carries used gear at all of their outlets, plus they also have a store downtown (across Church street from the flagship store) that deals with nothing but used gear. The prices at Henry's tend to be kind of high, but occasionally they have something interesting. Wandering through pawn shops downtown might also net you some interesting used gear.

Unfortunately you just missed the PHSC camera show in Woodbridge last weekend ( PHSC: Public Events: Fairs ). I kept having clean Spotmatics offered to me in the $10 to 20 range when people heard I was looking for M42 lenses and I picked up enough new toys to keep me going for several months. Highly recommended the show if you are in town next May.
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The PHSC has I believe 4 shows annually, 2 are in woodbridge and 2 in Newmarket.

I have never been satisfied with the shows because they seem to only rarely have K mount lenses, M42 yes, but that is it.

In terms of used cameras and lenses, If you go down to henry's downtown (intersection of Queen Street E and Church Street) there is also Downtown camera, and a collection of Pawn shops, all of which have used camera stuff, although I admit Pentax lenses are hard to find.

You can Also try International Camera on the Queensway in Etobicoke (west end) as they have a reasonable collection of K mount stuff, plus some Tamron adaptalls. Although supply is declining there also
05-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Burlington Camera

It might be a little far, but Burlington Camera, south of the QEW on Guelph Line (I think) is worth the trip, you really need a car or take GO and enjoy the walk.

05-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks

thanks for your replies... this gives me some ideas. I usually check out Henrys outlet when I'm there. Last year I was surprised at how expensive the new stuff is in Canada (with the exchange even). And it being a huge hassle and expense trying to get B&H to ship something to me up there. We'll see..
05-29-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter

LOL, you'll get the best prices and selection if you have KEH ship a lens to a friend in Buffalo!

The one defender of Pentax in downtown T.O. is Paul at Henry's Outlet on Queen. He's diehard analog and will tell you if the lens your looking at is crap. He also knows a lot of shooters who might have lenses to buy/sell.
05-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
LOL, you'll get the best prices and selection if you have KEH ship a lens to a friend in Buffalo!

I figured for new expensive stuff, cross-border pickup... but do they still charge customs and duty and brokerage clearance for 20 year old used lenses???

The one defender of Pentax in downtown T.O. is Paul at Henry's Outlet on Queen. He's diehard analog and will tell you if the lens your looking at is crap. He also knows a lot of shooters who might have lenses to buy/sell.
That's excellent, I appreciate the name, I'll definitely drop by and chat and see what he has.

thanks
05-30-2008, 06:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I find the used henry's outlet useless. Eithe rutter junk or MASSIVELY over priced, they wanted $600 for a Sigma 100mm Macro, gimme a break it's $400 brand new!!

Never once found anything there remotely interesting.

My best ploy is to contact Adens, Henrys, Vistek (snobs) and Downtown camera to see who will do the best deal. Then check B+H just in case.

05-30-2008, 07:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by augustmoon Quote
That's excellent, I appreciate the name, I'll definitely drop by and chat and see what he has.

thanks
Paul is a strange one

also he's not very digitaly versed and will wave a bright red banner proclaiming the pentax gear of old being the best in the universe

when i came to him with my K100D to buy a temp-lens after i broke mine the evening before, he sold me a 5 dollar 50mm, but he didnt know how to get it working on a digital SLR!! (this was back when i just got the camera)

the other "members" of the used henry's team are jackassess, and their prices are overpriced

however they are overpriced in the sense that a canadian ordering from the states, paying shipping and taxes, is still a hundred or two dollars better off than buying here!
05-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

If you want to buy new lenses check out prices on the auction site from ProDigital2000. They are located in Stratford, which is about 2 hours from Toronto. A nice place to visit, see some shows, and to pick up your lenses. Their prices are considerably lower than B&H and Adorama.
05-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratario Quote
If you want to buy new lenses check out prices on the auction site from ProDigital2000. They are located in Stratford, which is about 2 hours from Toronto. A nice place to visit, see some shows, and to pick up your lenses. Their prices are considerably lower than B&H and Adorama.
his prices cannot be considerably lower than B&H unless its a gray market unit

B&H has one of the lowest prices for new authentic pentax gear in the world

also some things are more expensive, like the *16-50
05-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Got this reply from Pentax Canada this morning...

I'm looking at a 50-135mm and I got this from Pentax Canada today when I asked about them:

Hello
(removed my name)

Pro Digital 2000 is an Authorized dealer of pentax , We Honour the
warranty
For cameras purchased at that Store .

Thank you,

Alain Daigle
Repairs/ Service Dept .
Pentax Canada Inc .
adaigle@pentax.ca
905-286-5585x313
1-800-461-6203 Toll Free
1770 Argentia Rd
Mississauga Ont.
L5N- 3S7
05-30-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Haha YES PAUL! Yea he knows a lot about the good ol' film days and as even warmed up to Pentax Digital SLRs over the last year or two cuz he's aware of their backwards compatibility.
05-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

ProDigital lenses come with two year Pentax Canada warranty, and one year of Pentax international warranty. They are definitely an authorized Pentax dealer and as such, they have a special relationship with Pentax Canada.
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #15

Does ProDigital2000 have an actual physical store?

(I'm gonna be in Woodstock all next week, and it might be worth a quick run up to Stratford if they do...)

Jamie

Last edited by Classvino; 05-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.