Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #1
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: GTA
Posts: 48
Vivitar 14mm f2.8? Same as Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f2.8?

Does anyone have experience with this lens?
Vivitar 13mm F2.8 (Pentax mount, of course)

Does it have the same optics as Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f2.8?

01-28-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,279
QuoteOriginally posted by buliwyf Quote
Does anyone have experience with this lens?
Vivitar 13mm F2.8 (Pentax mount, of course)

Does it have the same optics as Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 14mm f2.8?
Yes, same lens.
01-28-2015, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Yup. same exact lens. I have the rokinon and my friend has a vivitar. They are identical.
01-28-2015, 12:00 PM   #4
osv
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
be sure and check that glass for decentering, as soon as you get it.

01-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,677
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Yup. same exact lens. I have the rokinon and my friend has a vivitar. They are identical.
Optically yes, cosmetically no. Vivitar has different external apparence than the others. All others simply have a different gold colored name plate
05-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
pixie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Visitacion Valley, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 764
I'm going to buy one the variants. I trust they're all the same lens as per the comments above. But I just have to make this post and ask you all to be absolutely sure before I order. Here are two screenshots from bhphotovideo.com comparing the lenses. Are the differences simply just typos?BI=5981&KBID=6867&SID=f& There seem to be quite a few... Also, this one Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Manual Focus Lens for Pentax SY14M-P indicates "made in USA", if that is so that's the one I am buying... Do all of them have automated aperture control?
Attached Images
   

Last edited by pixie; 05-13-2015 at 09:45 PM.
05-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
The picture shows no "A" setting yet there actually is one for the Pentax mount. Shop around and find a variant on sale. I paid $259 for my Bower. None of these are made in the USA. But Bower has excellent warranty help if needed.
The main thing on this lens is to buy from a reputable dealer like B&H or Adorama where if you get a decentered lens you can easily exchange it ! And remember it will probably need to have infinity focus hard stop adjusted accordingly to match the distance scale.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 05-13-2015 at 10:28 PM.
05-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,183
a) The Samyang (and its rebaded lenses) have A setting for Pentax K. The photos in online stores often show the wrong lens, for example for Sony or Canon mount - and those lenses have a different mount, without A mode on aperture.
b) Rokinon, Bower, Walimex seem to be direct rebadges of Samyang (and possibly other names as well, but Samyang makes them. I think they are made in Korea, doubt its in USA. My Samyang 14mm says "Made in Korea" on the lens. I think it would cost a little more if it were made in USA. The brand depends on the region, though. For example, Walimex is common in Germany)
c) Vivitar.. there was some debate about Vivitar in the past. Some time ago, a store offered two Vivitar around that focal length. Someone asked the store and the store claimed they were different lenses, not just a mistake. My little theory is that Vivitar offered a different 13mm in the past and then started selling the rebadged Samyang. Though, I think Samyang had another, older 14mm design as well. Basically, there is a high chance the Vivitar is the same as the Samyang, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. I haven't seen anyone complain about the Vivitar's quality, so it seems that it is not a problem. Also, I haven't found any reliable source or experiment that would settle things once and for all. Vivitar is the most suspicious, because it uses different focus grip and appearance - the other Samyang rebades are practically exactly the same
d)
Sometimes the same store offers different versions of the Samyang 14mm at different prices. Don't know why.
e)
I would recommend the lens, as it performs very well, but listen to the above posts about decentering and focus ring calibration. I had to replace my copy once, and the second copy is still a little decentered, but acceptable for me for now


Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-14-2015 at 02:19 AM.
05-14-2015, 06:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,279
Yeah, there are claims of an older version -- someone said they had one, so I guess it exists but I've never seen it -- possibly they look exactly the same. The Vivitar 13mm is the same as the others. And like they say above, be prepared to exchange it (although someone also said fixing the decentering yourself is actually not hard) -- my first copy was obviously decentered, my second copy was better but still "ehhhh", and my third copy I am happy with -- at least on my APS-C body. I'll be curious to know what the corners look like if I ever get to put it on a full-frame...
05-14-2015, 08:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,457
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
And like they say above, be prepared to exchange it (although someone also said fixing the decentering yourself is actually not hard) -- my first copy was obviously decentered, my second copy was better but still "ehhhh", and my third copy I am happy with -- at least on my APS-C body.
I know of 3 people recently that bought Bower and all were fine short of the Infinity hard stop adjustment being off....... Mine Included.
05-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,677
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
a) The Samyang (and its rebaded lenses) have A setting for Pentax K. The photos in online stores often show the wrong lens, for example for Sony or Canon mount - and those lenses have a different mount, without A mode on aperture.
b) Rokinon, Bower, Walimex seem to be direct rebadges of Samyang (and possibly other names as well, but Samyang makes them. I think they are made in Korea, doubt its in USA. My Samyang 14mm says "Made in Korea" on the lens. I think it would cost a little more if it were made in USA. The brand depends on the region, though. For example, Walimex is common in Germany)
c) Vivitar.. there was some debate about Vivitar in the past. Some time ago, a store offered two Vivitar around that focal length. Someone asked the store and the store claimed they were different lenses, not just a mistake. My little theory is that Vivitar offered a different 13mm in the past and then started selling the rebadged Samyang. Though, I think Samyang had another, older 14mm design as well. Basically, there is a high chance the Vivitar is the same as the Samyang, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. I haven't seen anyone complain about the Vivitar's quality, so it seems that it is not a problem. Also, I haven't found any reliable source or experiment that would settle things once and for all. Vivitar is the most suspicious, because it uses different focus grip and appearance - the other Samyang rebades are practically exactly the same
d)
Sometimes the same store offers different versions of the Samyang 14mm at different prices. Don't know why.
e)
I would recommend the lens, as it performs very well, but listen to the above posts about decentering and focus ring calibration. I had to replace my copy once, and the second copy is still a little decentered, but acceptable for me for now
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, there are claims of an older version -- someone said they had one, so I guess it exists but I've never seen it -- possibly they look exactly the same. The Vivitar 13mm is the same as the others. And like they say above, be prepared to exchange it (although someone also said fixing the decentering yourself is actually not hard) -- my first copy was obviously decentered, my second copy was better but still "ehhhh", and my third copy I am happy with -- at least on my APS-C body. I'll be curious to know what the corners look like if I ever get to put it on a full-frame...
the lenses are the same, but different.

for the vivitar they are not "rebadged" samyang lenses, but are different cosmetically . different color stripes, different lens caps and different focusing collars. BUT they are optically the same. the issue of focal length is present on not just the 14/2.8 where vivitar quote 13, but also on the 8mm fisheye, where vivitar quote a different focal length.

but for the 13/14 mm lens, focal length is a little subjective as to how you measure / determine it. the lens has considerable barrel distortion, so whether you look at FOV corner to corner, or maginfication at the center of the frame, you will have a different value related tofocal length.,
05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,279
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the lenses are the same, but different.

for the vivitar they are not "rebadged" samyang lenses, but are different cosmetically . different color stripes, different lens caps and different focusing collars. BUT they are optically the same. the issue of focal length is present on not just the 14/2.8 where vivitar quote 13, but also on the 8mm fisheye, where vivitar quote a different focal length.
Isn't that what "rebadged" means? Same build, same lens, but maybe a slightly different paint job and rubber grip pattern? My Vivitar looks exactly the same as the others except for a few cosmetics (I think it does say Vivitar on the grip)...
05-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,677
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Isn't that what "rebadged" means? Same build, same lens, but maybe a slightly different paint job and rubber grip pattern? My Vivitar looks exactly the same as the others except for a few cosmetics (I think it does say Vivitar on the grip)...
No, if you look at the other Re Badged Samyang lenses, they are identical, with the exception of the name printed on the otherwise identical nameplate.
05-14-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,279
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
No, if you look at the other Re Badged Samyang lenses, they are identical, with the exception of the name printed on the otherwise identical nameplate.
I still maintain the Vivitar is within the bounds of "rebadging" since the differences are purely cosmetic...
05-14-2015, 10:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 515
Think of 'rebadged' as a 1980's Chevy vs. GMC truck.
They were typically identical with the exception of the badges - hence the term 'Badge Engineering'. Hence Samyang/Rokinon
Newer versions of Chevy vs. GMC - share all or most of the frame/body/powertrain components, but have different trim/body panels/grill/interior components (to a certain degree). Eg. Samyang/Vivitar.

Same underlying lens, different look/trim.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, f2.8, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, vivitar, vivitar 14mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 - $265.00 woden2 Pentax Price Watch 3 03-26-2014 09:03 PM
Samyang 14mm f2.8 lorien14 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-05-2013 11:07 AM
Fixing the Samyang 14mm f2.8 Lens krp Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 07-05-2013 07:23 AM
For Sale - Sold: Bower 14mm (aka Vivitar, Samyang, Rokinon) superstan Sold Items 2 12-04-2012 11:28 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top