Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2015, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My New Pentax Kit

Some of you may notice that I'm posting & writing more about Pentax lately. I've been using Pentax gear for the last decade (I'm PentaxForums member #10, in fact!) but switched to a Nikon full frame kit for most things starting in 2008. The only Pentax digital bodies I have are the *ist D and an infrared-converted *ist DS.

I started shooting sports professionally, and stopped using the gigantic Nikon kit for pretty much anything else. When I started hiking in 2009, I realized what a hazard it is to have a 3 pound camera with 3-8 pound lenses.

So sometime in 2013 I got a Sony NEX-6 and used it primarily with a Lens Turbo and my Pentax lenses. I realized how much more I used the camera, and also how much better my back felt! Unfortunately I didn't get along with the Sony, its interface and handling was atrocious. Its white balance was hit-or-miss, and its files had little latitude for missed exposure.

Then Fuji announced the X-A1, and I jumped on a super sale for it. What a breath of fresh air! I don't get along with the sideways rear scroll wheel, but everything else was nicely laid out and useful. I had a camera which (like Pentaxes) got out of my way and let me enjoy shooting.

Over the past year, I've been building what I consider to be an ultimate kit: small, light, high-quality lenses. That's why I'm back to Pentax: a set of primes is as small & light as a comparable native mirrorless or adapted rangefinder kit. Coupled with some excellent native Fuji lenses, this makes a great all-purpose kit.

Hopefully this hasn't been too wordy. I just got the 21 & 40 yesterday, so I took them on a (cold) walk. Here are some snaps:

DA21:

DA40:

DA70:

01-29-2015, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for sharing. Can't help thinking maybe the K-01 would have been for you?

Seb
01-29-2015, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Very sharp looking kit. Pentax primes, particularly limiteds, are so attractive in so many ways.
01-29-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Thanks for sharing. Can't help thinking maybe the K-01 would have been for you?

Seb
Thanks! Well, I seriously wanted Pentax to release a K-02 which wasn't designed by the Target toy department and also dropped some weight. From camerasize.com: FujiFilm X-A1 [330 g] weighs 41% (230 grams) less than Pentax K-01 [560 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card). Even with the (heavier) DA-to-Fuji X adapter, the X-A1 still weighs 120 grams less than a naked K-01! It's also smaller.

So yes, the K-01 was considered, warts and all - because it is after all a great image maker. But the Fuji cameras are very, very nice!

(Note: I also get to use the excellent Fuji primes, and I have one adapted rangefinder lens too.)

---------- Post added 01-29-15 at 09:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very sharp looking kit. Pentax primes, particularly limiteds, are so attractive in so many ways.
Thanks Doc!

01-29-2015, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And they have to be all in silver! Nice
01-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
And they have to be all in silver! Nice
Thanks!

Well, the silver ones were cheaper. I don't know why, since they look so much nicer!
01-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the adapter? I couldn't find one that would allow for aperture control.
01-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
What is the adapter? I couldn't find one that would allow for aperture control.
Pentax Da Lens to Fujifim x Pro1 x E1 x M1 x A1 Camera Adapter Aperture Control | eBay

In practice, there isn't a very long throw with it, so it's more of a 'guess the aperture' sort of thing. I'm OK with that, since I normally shoot at either wide open or f/8-11ish.

01-29-2015, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go back to that record store and buy Tame Impala Innerspeaker. It's retro psychedelia with great musicianship.
01-30-2015, 04:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Go back to that record store and buy Tame Impala Innerspeaker. It's retro psychedelia with great musicianship.
Thanks for the tip. I just listened to it, some was pretty good. Have to give it another listen before I commit.

As for records, I just gave my stereo to my brother-in-law. Had it since 1990. It was time to cut the cord.