Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #16
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A lot of the tips in Alex's excellent article (@Heie) about techniques for steadying apply to using a long lens: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

02-01-2015, 07:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
now my FA* 250-600mm, that does but I refuse to use either a tripod or a monopod so my pictures with it are basically crap (but that's another story)
I love it
02-01-2015, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

I hand hold the DA 300* without any problems.

If you're concerned about balancing out the weight of the lens and the body, look into a grip. Not a tripod/monopod.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
For supporting a large lens while walking, I got this lens support strap that just "clicks" onto my OpTech strap. Much easier than walking around supporting your lens with your hand. It easily disconnects when not needed, from the main strap.

OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector
Great idea!
02-01-2015, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks RockStarr; I really like the lens support strap. I use it all the time, much better than the camera/lens bouncing around!

BTW, that photo is absolutely stunning! My goodness, you can count the feathers!!!

02-03-2015, 04:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I wanted advice as far as the lens swinging around and banging into things. This has been a problem even with smaller lenses sometimes. Sometimes I find myself running across a field or a parking lot or whatever in order to get a better angle on a shot. I use hoods a lot for this reason, just to act as a bumper, more or less. So I figured this new 70-200 lens will both strain my neck more and swing around more because of the increased size and weight.

This is what I meant to ask you guys about. Thank you.
02-03-2015, 05:16 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
So I figured this new 70-200 lens will both strain my neck more and swing around more because of the increased size and weight.
Use a shoulder/sling strap rather than a neck one in this instance, David!
02-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
What else, perhaps?
Hows about a beanbag, they never let me down.

02-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, there are 3 separate issues,

- how to support the lens when carrying it, from the perspective of the strength of the lens mount
- how to support the lens when carrying it, from the perspective of stress on your neck / shoulder
- how to support the lens when shooting with it.

Considering this argument all began with a 70-200/2.8, I'll start there.

Supporting this lens from the mount when carrying it should be fine, I have a sigma 70-200/2.8 which, along with the 2xTC weighs in at about 1.6 kilos, I have only ever carried this by either holding the body, or with the body straps over my shoulder. I never put it around my neck, because the weight can hurt your neck. The camera(s) I have used with this weight have never had an issue. My opinion is if a leans is meant to be carried by a lens mounted strap it should come with the loops for it, like the older Tamron big glass (300/2.8 and 200-500/5.6 for example)

For shooting, while not perhaps necessary to support with its own mount, the balance on a tripod or monopod is clearly far superior and more stable/less vibration prone. It is always best from a shooting perspective to have the lens supported at its center of mass, or better yet from both ends(body and end of lens) when hand holding. Bean bags also work fine, on this type of lens

For really big glass, monopod if the balance is good, or a gimbal mount, and nothing else