Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Handling A Big Lens

Now that I have a big, heavy 70-200 f/2.8, before I go try it out in the field, I'd sure like any advice I might need when it comes to handling a DSLR with a large lens. For example, I figure I only should handle my K-3 by the lens. And I'm pretty sure the travel tripod I have isn't going to be sturdy enough. What else, perhaps?

Maybe that's all but thought I'd ask...

02-01-2015, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mount the lens to a tripod, not the camera body. If you want to use a strap, then get one than can be attached to the lens. Use both hands, one underneath the lens, when shooting handheld.

Other than that, there isn't much else I can think of. I've been using the same 70-200 for weddings over the past 3 years and the only "special consideration" is the tripod and strap thing.

Happy shooting
02-01-2015, 07:48 AM   #3

Consider a monopod connected to the lens for those times you are without a tripod. Also, carry a bean bag for other moments to help hold/stabilize your set up, with a low wall, chair, branch, etc. Enjoy your new lens.
02-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does this 70-200 have OS? I shoot the lil'Bigma almost exclusively from a monopod, though it is really handheld most of the time. The monopod is really for taking a rest from carrying the lens.

02-01-2015, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #5
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For supporting a large lens while walking, I got this lens support strap that just "clicks" onto my OpTech strap. Much easier than walking around supporting your lens with your hand. It easily disconnects when not needed, from the main strap.

OP/TECH USA Lens Support Adaptor System Connector
02-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Solid Tripod or Monopod as much as is practical. And, as has been said, only use the collar mount on the lens not the camera mount for the tri/monopod.
02-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

My experience is limited to the Sigma 50-500 which requires a monopod at minimum. The monopod is attached to the lens collar. There is a shoulder strap on the lens. I carry the lens using the shoulder strap (with the camera attached), often holding on to the monopod grip when the monopod is collapsed. I would never use this lens without a monopod or tripod.

02-01-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hogdriver Quote
Consider a monopod connected to the lens for those times you are without a tripod. Also, carry a bean bag for other moments to help hold/stabilize your set up, with a low wall, chair, branch, etc. Enjoy your new lens.
That idea of a bean bag is good.
I was taking sunrise pics in Curacao, and used my 70-200 F2.8 Sigma, my biggest F lens. I put the camera down on a handy dandy wooden railing, pointing in the right direction, etc.
I used a 3 second shutter release delay so I wasn't touching the camera when it took the pic.
My wife had the 50mm F1.8.
02-01-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I generally only use my 70-200 on a monopod. That's more for practicality: the lens is too huge to remain attached to the camera and fit in my bag and it's way too big and bulky to carry with a strap. The monopod lets me carry it around fairly easily. The size and weight of the lens means that I only take it when I know it will be my primary lens for the day (e.g., a zoo).

The monopod is also great for letting you hit lower shutter speeds. At 200mm, the minimum handheld focal length is 1/400. Shake reduction buy you, at most, 1.5 stops at that focal length, which reduces to about 1/125. That can still be high. A monopod will let you go another stop or so, letting you get away with 1/60.
02-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At some point you have a camera attached to a lens rather than a lens attached to a camera. Once that point is reached your hold point, mount point and so on become the lens. The camera is just along for the ride. As others have noted a monopod can be a big help but don't forget that travel pod completely. No it won't work fully extended, but out in the field even if you just use the bottom section that is better than nothing. And even light weight pods are fairly steady until you start extending the legs provided the head can handle the weight.
02-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

A monopod will do as will most tripods. Yeah, it's big and heavy but many photographers regularly hand hold 70-200 lenses. They are a favorite with wedding photographers who will often carry one on a second camera body with a 24-70 on the other. Obviously, you will need to be in light where you have a fast enough shutter speed to hand hold. Enjoy your new lens!
02-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DavidSKAF3 Quote
Now that I have a big, heavy 70-200 f/2.8, before I go try it out in the field, I'd sure like any advice I might need when it comes to handling a DSLR with a large lens. For example, I figure I only should handle my K-3 by the lens. And I'm pretty sure the travel tripod I have isn't going to be sturdy enough. What else, perhaps?

Maybe that's all but thought I'd ask...
While monopods or tripods are good, as everyone has mentioned, for handheld use, try to brace your upper arm against your chest while cradling the lens in the palm of that hand. This might seem a little awkward at first, but will provide some additional stability.
02-01-2015, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

Pack of wimps with their tripods and monopods. It's only a 70-200 we are talking about. Flaming crikey I hand hold a 500mm all the time and I'm 64. Get something like a rapid strap and hang the lens over your shoulder so you are comfortable. The strap can also help as a brace if you have the right adjustment. never used a tripod on my 200mm in my film days and we didn't have shake reduction. Enjoy your photography and don't worry about things like monopods unless it's crap light.
02-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Good onya Bob
02-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Pack of wimps with their tripods and monopods. It's only a 70-200 we are talking about. Flaming crikey I hand hold a 500mm all the time and I'm 64.
Just started reading this thread and was about to say the same thing until I got to your post.

A 70-200mm 2.8 doesn't need support, nor does the 50-500mm Sigma (I use both without) ... now my FA* 250-600mm, that does but I refuse to use either a tripod or a monopod so my pictures with it are basically crap (but that's another story).