Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #1

Current Pentax Lenses - Cover FF or No?

I was thinking about this and have been trying to find an answer, but do current Pentax lenses project an image circle capable of covering a full frame sensor?

I am aware that legacy lenses will cover full frame, but some features such as recording aperture, and flash metering for external flashes, appear to disappear when using legacy glass.

So would a Pentaxian who is still holding their breath for a Full Frame Pentax camera be best served to buy third party glass, such as Sigma or Tamron, instead of current Pentax lenses if they wish for those lenses to translate to a potential FF setup?

Thanks,
Isaac

02-01-2015, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out this link

Cheers
02-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pentax will launch lenses to fill gaps in the current lineup when the FF comes out. Until then you can always stock up on legacy glass or DA lenses originally meant for FF like the 200 and 300mm.
02-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pentax will launch lenses to fill gaps in the current lineup when the FF comes out. Until then you can always stock up on legacy glass or DA lenses originally meant for FF like the 200 and 300mm.
I think it will be interesting to see what gaps they don't fill immediately. I'm rather hoping they re-release some of the FA lenses like they did for the 645Z. Unlike a new system, like Fuji has to deal with, Pentax has an advantage in that they already have a full arsenal of very good lenses they can draw from. No need to re-invent everything right away. They can slowly replace them over time, kind of like Nikon is still doing.

They've already acknowledged they'll rely on screw-drive for a while. This makes sense, since small lenses are an important part of their strategy. As long as they continue to have strong screw-drive AF in their FF bodies they can have a great offering out of the chute.

Last edited by DSims; 02-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.
02-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think it will be interesting to see what gaps they don't fill immediately. I'm rather hoping they re-release some of the FA lenses like they did for the 645Z. Unlike a new system, like Fuji has to deal with, Pentax has an advantage in that they already have a full arsenal of very good lenses they can draw from. No need to re-invent everything right away. They can slowly replace them over time, kind of like Nikon is still doing.

They've already acknowledged they'll rely on screw-drive for a while. This makes sense, since small lenses are an important part of their strategy. As long as they continue to have strong screw-drive AF in their FF bodies they can have a great offering out of the chute.
This is just my opinion, but I think they'll only use screwdrive in ultra compact and budget lenses from now on. Everything else will be DC.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-01-2015, 10:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of the current lenses, DA10-17 (from about 14mm), FA31, DA35/2.4, FA43, DFA50, DA*55, FA77, DFA100WR, DA*200, DA*300 and DA560 cover 36x24 to a greater or lesser degree. The 31, 43, 50, 77 and 100 were of course designed for film.

The glaring gaps are rectilinear ultra-wide angle, and zooms. I have a FA*24 which covers the former, and for telephoto shots I would rather stick with APS-C anyway.

From the A series onwards, all Pentax lenses record EXIF data to the camera, and from the F series onwards you have autofocus as well, so there are heaps of legacy options where few compromises need to be made.
02-01-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Of the current lenses, DA10-17 (from about 14mm), FA31, DA35/2.4, FA43, DFA50, DA*55, FA77, DFA100WR, DA*200, DA*300 and DA560 cover 36x24 to a greater or lesser degree. The 31, 43, 50, 77 and 100 were of course designed for film.

The glaring gaps are rectilinear ultra-wide angle, and zooms. I have a FA*24 which covers the former, and for telephoto shots I would rather stick with APS-C anyway.

From the A series onwards, all Pentax lenses record EXIF data to the camera, and from the F series onwards you have autofocus as well, so there are heaps of legacy options where few compromises need to be made.
They could easily bring back a revised FA20mm and the FA 20-35mm/4 for the ultrawide.

02-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Speaking about DA560, I think it's not fully FF compatible (which is shame).

But probably DA* 60-250 (officially rated "designed for FF" by Pentax patent US7489452)..?

And then there're Sigma and other third parties lenses...

So if the FF camera will be K-mount, I guess there's plenty of lenses to choose from.