Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 02:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
the new DA* primes and lens buying advice

i'm on the verge of switching to a pentax system with a k20d. the lenses i have in mind for now are:

1. 50-135mm
2. 31mm limited

since there's no sealed UWA, i think i'll wait for the rumored 11-16mm. i hope it comes out in a DA*

now to the question: i just read that there are gonna be 30 and a 55 DA* lenses coming out, which makes me re-think about the 31 limited. if it's sealed then it may be the smarter choice for me.

anyone know when they're supposed to come out?

ideally i'd want a UWA, 16-50 and the 50-135 as it's very similar to my current setup which is a D80 + 10-20 + 18-50/2.8 + 50-150/2.8

i travel a lot and i want a system that's safe from the elements.

but i've heard so many things about the trouble of getting the 16-50 so i'll hold off buying that for now. i also find that i use my 18-50/2.8 the least. in fact i rarely use it. so i think an UWA, 30mm prime and the 50-135mm would be better for me.

i love the 31 limited though, i just drool over it.

should i get the 31 limited or wait for the DA* 30? any advice?

btw, i'll be using the 30/31 for my walkaround. i use an UWA and the telephoto 95% of the time when i travel (think jungles, rivers and waterfalls).

05-30-2008, 02:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
ricosuave's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 299
you might be thinking of the 35mm ltd macro.
i don't think a 30 is in the works.
in terms of uwa, a pentax 12-24 or a sigma 10-20 are readily available.
but like yourself, i'm hoping for a pentax 11-16.

get the 31ltd, since it's a proven performer.
when pentax eventually goes full-frame, you'll be ready.
i doubt a 30mm d.a. would be ff compatible w/o vignetting.
05-30-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Original Poster
hi rico

nope i'm talking about the 30 DA* SDM in the latest pentax roadmap i already have a 10-20 for my nikon system but i'm wanting a sealed UWA, i'm really hoping for a pentax DA* 11-16 this year

yeah i think you're right about the 30 DA* i don't think it'll be FF. good point on that it being FF-ready, an investment it would be!
05-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #4
RaduA
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
hi rico

nope i'm talking about the 30 DA* SDM in the latest pentax roadmap i already have a 10-20 for my nikon system but i'm wanting a sealed UWA, i'm really hoping for a pentax DA* 11-16 this year

yeah i think you're right about the 30 DA* i don't think it'll be FF. good point on that it being FF-ready, an investment it would be!
Hi, Joe

It all depends on how long are you ready to wait. If previous lens release are a pattern for Pentax the DA* 30 cannot be launch this year. I wish it will but my (based on nothing but a hunch) opinion is that will be not. Besides trying to best the 31 Ltd ( a legendary piece of glass and metal) is quite a chalenge. I guess the DA* 55 will signal the future for Pentax primes. If it will be an exceptional lens we can hope far a remarcable DA* 30 too.

My 2 cents,
Radu

05-30-2008, 03:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
DJey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 286
31Ltd.. A dream lens for me.. I'll get one maybe after 3 years of saving! Ahahaah..
05-30-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 302
I can't speak for the other lenses you mentioned however, the 50-135 is just awesome.
05-30-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Hi, Joe

It all depends on how long are you ready to wait. If previous lens release are a pattern for Pentax the DA* 30 cannot be launch this year. I wish it will but my (based on nothing but a hunch) opinion is that will be not. Besides trying to best the 31 Ltd ( a legendary piece of glass and metal) is quite a chalenge. I guess the DA* 55 will signal the future for Pentax primes. If it will be an exceptional lens we can hope far a remarcable DA* 30 too.

My 2 cents,
Radu
hi radua, thanks for your input
05-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by metalfab Quote
I can't speak for the other lenses you mentioned however, the 50-135 is just awesome.
i've heard a lot of awesome things about the lens, this is one lens i'm surely getting should i move to pentax

05-30-2008, 04:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member
soccerjoe5's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DJey Quote
31Ltd.. A dream lens for me.. I'll get one maybe after 3 years of saving! Ahahaah..
it's also a dream lens of mine! droooll

fantastic optics, all metal build second to none, fast aperture woohoo!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50-135mm, advice, da*, da* primes, k-mount, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens, system, travel, uwa
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying DSLR - Urgent Advice needed for Lens suesydney Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 09-14-2009 04:39 AM
Need some buying advice. Stella Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 13 03-16-2009 08:20 PM
Advice on manual primes. Zewrak Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 04-17-2008 12:51 AM
Another give me advice on buying a lens thread! superbass Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 04-10-2008 07:12 PM
Advice on buying used MZ-50 Matjazz Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 11-07-2006 07:01 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:42 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top