Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2015, 10:00 AM   #16

I guess it would make sense if Pentax stopped making camera bodies. Then Pentax could just be a 3rd Party lens maker like Sigma or Tokina.

02-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't think it'll happen, especially when their lens lineup is missing a T/S (even though it may be a niche lens, there'll be people who'll need one).
I think they should focus on updating some of their lenses that need it.
02-05-2015, 12:22 PM   #18

em, aren't most of Pentax' lenses already made by Tokina?
02-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
No. Pentax have a factory in Vietnam, right?

02-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Volker76 Quote
You mean that some of the lenses are derived from a joint research agreement with Tokina?
There's the 12-24mm, 16-50mm, 50-135mm, (possibly) 10-17mm and finally (possibly) 35mm Macro, none of the other are available as a Tokina variant and a bunch of lenses are too young to derive from the research agreement. However to say that they are made by Tokina is a wrong statement as all information available only mentions research and possibly some joint production of parts. Currently there are super-zooms that are Tamrons in a new shell and with a Pentax coating.
02-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #21
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by JayR Quote
Regardless of today's FF announcement, I know of pros using Canon and Nikon who'd love to be able to easily use Pentax lenses on their bodies sometimes
I am yet to meet a pro who would love to use Pentax lenses. Pros are typically practical people who are more than happy with what their own brand or third party manufacturers have to offer. Moreover, they will switch back and forth between Canon and Nikon with no qualms whatsoever. I occasionally hear from seasoned photographers that they don't like the DA primes, because of Pentax's insistence on compactness at the expense of speed. All the great camera manufacturers make superb lenses, and in many cases they offer far better value for money than Pentax.

Samsung 30mm 2.0
Nikkor 35mm 1.8
Olympus 45mm 1.8
Panasonic 25mm 1.4

These are lenses that I would pick ahead of the DA Limited primes - the 40mm excepted - any time of the day.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 02-05-2015 at 02:14 PM.