Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FA Limited Lenses in Weather?

How many of you have taken your non weather sealed FA Limiteds in weather? Do you find yourself wishing you could, but reaching for a WR lens instead? Rain covers, or other barriers? I'm curious about your experiences.

02-06-2015, 10:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I have taken my 21mm Ltd and 70mm Ltd (yes they are not FA's, but the build quality is just as high) a couple times outside while there was raining a little. No problems.
These lenses are built to last, I don't think you have to treat them like a baby
02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I'd be concerned about using the 31 in weather. I could see water getting in where the floating front element moves back and forth. I think the 43 and 77 would be fine if you took care.
02-06-2015, 12:49 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using SLRīs since mid 70īs. And Pentax since late 70īs. Done a lot of shooting in bad weather, winter,rain,snow etc from the arctic to tropical conditions.Never ever had any problems whatsoever with lenses.
All it takes is a bit of judgement. Mist or slight rain has never been a problem, but of course you should not let your gear get soaked! Even in heavy rain covering your gear has been sufficient.

This might upset some marketing people, but I have not had a single lens failure caused by moisture or water ingress. Weather sealing is a nice bonus, but also a bit of a marketing instrument. If a lens is weather sealed itīs fine, but I do not consider this a decisive factor.

Last edited by PePe; 02-06-2015 at 12:57 PM.
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I have been using SLRīs since mid 70īs. And Pentax since late 70īs. Done a lot of shooting in bad weather, winter,rain,snow etc from the arctic to tropical conditions.Never ever had any problems whatsoever with lenses.
All it takes is a bit of judgement. Mist or slight rain has never been a problem, but of course you should not let your gear get soaked! Even in heavy rain covering your gear has been sufficient.

This might upset some marketing people, but I have not had a single lens failure caused by moisture or water ingress. Weather sealing is a nice bonus, but also a bit of a marketing instrument. If a lens is weather sealed itīs fine, but I do not consider this a decisive factor.
That is exactly what type of info I am looking for as I am currently considering selling off all of my lenses to invest in limited lenses..
02-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

I agree with PePe. I shoot often in poor weather and foul conditions: e.g., tropical storm, floods, mud, sandy conditions, rain,... WR is modern marketing tool. Yes I like to use a WR lens, but some older lenses are more sturdy.

Back to the FA Ltd, I used the FA31mm and FA77mm in rainy conditions. Like any lens, they need TLC (tender, love, and care) and a rain sleeve is good idea.

My worst nightmare in foul weather is lens swapping. It is a No-No. No lens swapping. The solution is to have two bodies, with a lens on each. For example, on a outdoor recent trip, I had my K-3 with Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4 and my K-7 with DA18-250mm. The combo works well and gave me decent shots despite the smoggy conditions.

Hope that the comment will help.
02-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
How many of you have taken your non weather sealed FA Limiteds in weather? Do you find yourself wishing you could, but reaching for a WR lens instead? Rain covers, or other barriers? I'm curious about your experiences.
I don't have FA limiteds, but when I have non-WR lens on my K-5ii on rainy days, I pack couple large zip-lock bags with bunch of elastics. Its cheap solution, but haven't yet had problem even in heavy downpours.
02-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I take mine on camera into the surf from time to time….to take photo's of sunsets or the coastline etc. Also into pools etc regularly. Obviously I'm careful….not reckless. I use them on rainy days as well. Certainly wouldn't handle them in a silly way in a tropical down poor.

HD DA 15
IMG_1283.JPG
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

FA31…got quite wet on this one
IMGP3127
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

My lens and camera are probably more at risk on the fire ground

_IMG1189_DxO-Edit.jpg
by Noelpolar, on Flickr

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-06-2015 at 03:13 PM.
02-06-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would be pretty comfortable using limiteds in wet conditions. Being Screw drive there isn't a whole lot in them that is going to fry.
02-06-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dmbaile2 Quote
I used FA 31mm in light rain/snow. I just tried to hold the lens from above and block the rain/snow. So far, no issue at all.
02-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Spent two hours in Times Square shooting in the cold rain/snow with the FA31. Did the sensible thing and pointed camera down when not in use to shield the lens. Gloves got soaked. Hat got soaked. Had to pop into Starbucks to warm up. FA31 was fine.

YMMV.

Square in Times Square
by john m flores, on Flickr
02-06-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The slightly larger (maybe) Pentsx FF will make an even better umbrella for the 31.