Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you still buy crop glass?
yes 11569.70%
no 5030.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The majority of Pentax users will probably not get the first iteration of the FF camera - cost!<br />
Why would you not buy crop lenses? Given the new camera wil have a crop mode if you buy wisely a combination of FF and crop will give you all the coverage you would ever need and then some. Ready for when you do pick one up.

02-06-2015, 07:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I only own one crop lens. That wasn't by design initially but FF compatibility definitely factored into my decision to get the FA77 over the DA70. The major factor was that I figured the FA would be better but the bonus of future compatibility made it impossible to choose the DA over the FA once I found the FA at a price I liked.

Because the costs are so reasonable, I look to the F and FA lenses first before I look at the DA. FF compatibility was more of a bonus for me, a "well, if they make it, and if I decide to get it, then..."

It makes my decision to get FF easier. I want to see the camera and price before I buy, but I'll strongly consider it. I'd look at a wide angle FF lens to add (FA31!), but otherwise I'm pretty good to go.

---------- Post added 02-06-15 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I have everything I think I need now (50/50 crop /FF) and I believe going forward all new Pentax lenses will be designated DFA.

So if there is anything new they come out with that I decided to get it will be DFA.

I don't think they would continue to release DA only lenses, would they?
I suspect most of them will likely be budget lenses like the DA50 f/1.8. Nikon makes a number of DX lenses still. Virtually all of them are low cost options. There's just really no reason to make two entire lens lineups. It's too much of a hard sell for retailers, who don't want to stock 20 different lenses from every manufacturer, as well as the company itself. Too large a product line is expensive to manage.

But then Sigma makes some APS-C lenses only too. I suspect we'll see a few here and there. I think we'll see some of the Pentax DA line discontinued in time. I'd expect an update to the DA limited series and the overlaps will go away; DA35 f/2.4will remain as a budget item but the DA35 Limited f/2.8 is a bit limited if there's an update to the FA31.

The FA43, though, is interesting because it's a good focal length for both FF and APS-C. We might see that one get an update for sure.

Last edited by MadMathMind; 02-06-2015 at 07:57 PM.
02-06-2015, 08:06 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depends, if you plan to go FF in future, answer is simple. Personally I won't. FF will get cheaper and cheaper to the point the price difference will be insignificant, we are seeing the same trend between bridge cameras and entry level DSLRs. Size rather than the price 'might' be the reason to buy APS-C in future.

On the other hand, I have some half frame manual lenses too, extremely small sized and hence perfect for small aps-c body I current have (sony nex).
02-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Someone should sell me their DA35/2.4 before it loses all value. $650 yesterday, $100 today, worthless tomorrow.
The clock is ticking...
Ha ha. That's one of the DA lenses that is FF compatible.ü

02-06-2015, 09:54 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Someone should sell me their DA35/2.4 before it loses all value. $650 yesterday, $100 today, worthless tomorrow.
The clock is ticking...
The DA 35/2.4 does cover the FF image circle. And I have one for sale in the marketplace.
02-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have more than i need, but i know I will buy more in the future. I will stay with APS even I buy an FF camera. I think wider than 135mm on FF and >135mm on APS is a good combination.
02-07-2015, 03:47 AM   #37
Pentaxian

My DA glass will continue to serve me into the foreseeable future, even if I do buy full-frame as a replacement for my K5II, not least because I don't want to lug more weight around; the new FA lenses are around 4lbs each!

Might you, could save on gym membership.

02-07-2015, 04:02 AM   #38
Veteran Member

i voted "No" but the whole answer is "No, because i have already all the lenses i need."

I'm pretty much well covered for film and APS-C. All i'm going to do is probably "upgrade" my lens setup (like getting the M35/2 instead of DA35/2,4- color are to vivid for me)
02-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Plenty of interesting responses

I have glass which is mainly compatible with FF but I consider this "bonus" as others have mentioned... at the time I knew it was a factor, but it was one of the least important factors

I mean for instance... the FA 31mm is a hell of a lens... I bought it for rendering/IQ rather than coverage
DA* 55 - a bonus when I heard it was FF after getting it
DFA 100mm... well you want a 90/100 macro? There's two common choices, got the pentax for construction and WR

I am currently desperately trying to resist the urge to get the Samyang 16mm f2 (crop) even though I have the 15mm DA
02-07-2015, 04:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

[/quotI
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There seems to be an assumption that every Pentax shooter can't wait to go for FF.
I hear you.
As a matter of fact when I think of my future needs I think smaller not larger....
02-07-2015, 07:08 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why, sure I will ... as far as my photo budget allows. For one, I love shooting my K-3 and will likely continue to do so for several years, until a major flagship upgrade comes along. Then, taking dedicated APS-C lenses seriously, with all their compactness, price, and portability benefits, has been an important factor in attracting me to the system in the first place.

This remains even true if my next lens purchase should turn out to be the DFA 100 Macro WR, ironically a FF lens. I would get it for what it adds to the capability of my current kit. FF coverage would be an added bonus, nothing more.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 04-19-2015 at 05:16 AM.
02-07-2015, 08:48 AM   #42
Pentaxian

LOL at myself because I clicked one answer, then switched. Right now, I don't own very much APS-C glass. I think I have 3 lenses...the 16-45, 18-55, and 40XS. I've been waiting for the FF to come out so my first inclination was to say that I wouldn't be buying any more crop glass. But something that I really want is another couple of autofocus primes to go with my K-01 and 40XS....so yeah, I could see myself selling a few things to pick up a 15mm and 70mm limited to comprise a compact, prime kit for my K-01.
02-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. Next on my wishlist: HD DA15. Maybe some day I'll order Pentax FF and or new DFA lenses. Because of restricted budget I have to prioritize. And the downside is that these new lenses are big and heavy. Until now I really don't know if I want to go this road. But the DFA150-450 sounds really good to me. So this one could be the one I get after the HD DA15 within 2 or 3 years.
02-07-2015, 09:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
There seems to be an assumption that every Pentax shooter can't wait to go for FF. I see big disappointment ahead for those thinking it will solve their bad photo problems. It hasn't fixed mine...
LOL... True 'nuf.

I have about 15 lenses, only two of which is a "DA". (The DA 10-17 fisheye zoom & 55-300 tele zoom) so it's not a problem for me. It's also not a problem for me because I probably won't be buying a FF Pentax unless I hit the lotto or something.
02-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure.

DA*300 is next on my list.