Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will you still buy crop glass?
yes 11569.70%
no 5030.30%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Well I'm about to buy a Da*50-135 for use on a K3, because there is no way I would want to carry a 70-200 around(especially the new pentax at 2kg). However I still plan on going FF for the normal and wide end, except when I want to go light and put on a 21ltd.

02-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I know myself well enough to know that my next camera will probably be FF, even though it will probably be a few years. As such, it doesn't make sense to me to get crop lenses. I only have one right now, the plastic fantastic 35.
02-08-2015, 01:53 PM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Not sure how they are going to reduce the size of the sensor ? Are they going to move the sensor closer to the lens, or are they going to physically shrink the size of the sensor with some type of frame ?
Simple, the pixels outside the defined (APS-C) area will not be activated or captured.
02-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I know myself well enough to know that my next camera will probably be FF, even though it will probably be a few years. As such, it doesn't make sense to me to get crop lenses. I only have one right now, the plastic fantastic 35.
You're covered ... it shoots FF.

02-08-2015, 02:36 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Whatever ... again there's an entire thread showing certain DA lenses (singular = lens) working on FF film formats.

IMHO the DA 35/2.4 and DA 50/1.8 were designed as "kit lens primes" for the then future FF DSRL, but the only problem was the long, slow and/or late development of said FF DSLR.

They had to label them as "DA" lenses and say that they are APS-C "engineered" ... otherwise to say that they were FF lenses would make a laughingstock out of Pentax if released as such. I mean why put out two FF prime lenses like the aforementioned when you don't have a FF DSLR body at that time ... get it?!

Anyway ... I really do not understand your post in general ... so let's just agree to disagree and let leave it there. D'accord.

---------- Post added 02-08-15 at 19:08 ----------

Gee ... I guess that it's not an "engineering nightmare" then after all ... sounds do-able to me, especially if Nikon has already done it.
For DA35 & DA50, they are FF design. It was cheaper to keep an old FF design (from FA35 f/2 and FA50 f/1.7) improve the coating and build them like that.

Still the new version was designed for APSC, at least offially. The border performance could suffer from cost cutting measures as there really no reason to ensure they are good... And after all the max apperture is in both case reduced a bit.

We will see how theses DA lenses will really perform and how Pentax implement their DA backward compatibility mechanism.
02-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
You're covered ... it shoots FF.
That's the coolest thing I've heard all week.
02-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I really like the idea of 1.1x, 1.2x, etc partial crop sizes - this allows lenses that are just shy of FF due to modest vignetting to be used at larger than APSC but without vignetting when desired. I hope Pentax does something like this.
I really wonder how you'd frame with theses kind of settings through the OVF...
02-08-2015, 02:50 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
That's the coolest thing I've heard all week.
Check out this thread ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-le...ts-thread.html

Some test shots here ... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/119054-da-3...-photos-7.html

02-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I really wonder how you'd frame with theses kind of settings through the OVF...

I can think of a lot of options - I'm curious how the Nikon 1.2/1.5 works - does anyone here know?
02-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I started out buying only full 35mm frame glass, in the expectation that a body would follow soon. During the wait for "soon" to arrive, I bought some DA glass, and now I realise its advantage in size and weight (we've all got a fair bit older during the "wait"), so, if a new DA lens appears in a FL I find useful, and its IQ is as good as the DAs I've accumulated, of course I'll buy it. The 18-135 is the worst of the DA lenses I have, and, even though that's not a terrible lens and mostly correctable in PP, if a better successor appears I'll seriously consider it.

APS-C is, and probably will remain, the choice for travel and long FL work, IMHO, in spite of what MFT enthusiasts say.

---------- Post added 9th Feb 2015 at 09:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Well I'm about to buy a Da*50-135 for use on a K3, because there is no way I would want to carry a 70-200 around(especially the new pentax at 2kg). However I still plan on going FF for the normal and wide end, except when I want to go light and put on a 21ltd.
My sentiments precisely, and I couldn't be happier than with my 50-135, so I hope your experience is the same, Rob.
02-08-2015, 04:36 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably not -- mainly because I have a pretty complete line up except for standard and telephoto full frame zooms. I don't know if I will get a 70-200 to use on a full frame camera. It feels like it is a pretty bulky lens and I own the DA 200 which is full frame compatible.

But honestly, a lot of Pentax's lenses are full frame compatible, so lenses like the 55 and 40 will be fine.
02-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I purchased my first Full Frame DSLR back in 2007 a Canon 5D. Three years earlier I had purchased my first digital camera a Canon 30D. I paid a little over 2 grand for the 5D once the prices started going down, so I was relatively late in the game. I took a day off from the job to make sure I would not miss the UPS guy. I was all excited that day having finally saved enough money for this camera that was wildly popular to the point that it became a "cult" item on certain websites.

When I pulled the camera from the box, it looked exactly like my 30D only it was little bigger and heftier. Instead of the clakity-clack of the shutter, there was a distinct clunk. Immediately I said to myself "now I need some very expensive 'L" glass " which is all full frame. So for the next few years, I spent my tax returns on some "L" glass and/or when I got a bonuses from my job. * Meanwhile these buying-binges were putting a serious strain on the family Finances .

During the next few years, I must have taken thousands of pictures. Most of them probably 90%, where taken with the 30D, My cropped DSLR ! The reason is, I did not feel comfortable lugging a 2,200 dollar camera around. Not only that, the 5D was a little slow for the type of shooting I did, mostly sports and street photography. The expensive 5D would become my "Professional" wedding/portrait camera, because I did not want to take the chance of breaking it by rough-housing.

So believe it or not, it mostly stayed on the shelf or on a tripod in my living room. A few years later( 2010) I moved up to the Canon 7D which was also a cropped camera, but with more megapixels and better AF. I never became enamored with this camera and winded up selling it to get my Pentax K-5 II. I still I took more pictures with it than I did with the 5D and to tell you the truth, I could hardly tell the difference in image quality. Depending on the lens and camera technique you could equally take a bad picture with the full frame camera as you could with a cropped camera.

Yes under certain conditions the FF 5D shone over the other cameras showing a little more dynamic range, it was easier to get Bokeh, sometimes I would get that "3D" look etc. but like I said this was under certain conditions which were few and far between. By the time I purchased the 7D, I had practically every lens I needed so it wasn't a matter of not purchasing one type of lens over the other. When I wanted to travel light, and/or if I needed the extra reach, I used the cropped camera. When I needed lots of fine detail as when shooting portraits, I went for the full frame camera. The full frame lenses worked on the cropped camera so this was not an issue. Unfortunately, this wasn't the case with some of my lenses that were optimized for cropped cameras.

During that time I think I just sold 1 of those lenses the rest I kept in my bag.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 02-09-2015 at 08:23 AM.