Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

best FF mid-range zoom?

Hello from a Sucker!

The marketing gambit of announcing the new FF body way before it hits the streets has snagged me; bedazzled by the smoke surrounding this as yet non-existent product I took the plunge earlier today and bought a K-5 that I hope will keep me happy until the real thing comes out later this year. Meanwhile I need a lens and am trying to figure out among the many to choose from:

which is the BEST mid-range AF FF zoom about 20-80mm with maximum f2.8 or more throughout available for Pentax today?

I figure from good experiences elsewhere the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF is a good bet but not sure if apart from the mount the Pentax version is exactly the same as the Sonycanikon versions of this champ or not and/or if there is anything better available?

Obviously I need to do more homework but a helpful shove in the direction I ought to look would be much appreciated

Last edited by windhorse; 02-07-2015 at 09:19 PM.
02-07-2015, 09:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A) Define "best".

The Tamron 28-75 is highly-rated.
02-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by windhorse Quote
which is the BEST mid-range AF FF zoom about 20-80mm with maximum f2.8
HD Pentax D FA 24-70 f/2.8

But it doesn't exist. (Yet)
02-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
In bygone days I got the impression Tamron was a bit like Pepsi ie good enough but not great. This I reconfirmed last year when I made the mistake of buying a LNIB Tamron 200-400 f5.6 for Minolta/Sony-Alpha that I have been trying to sell again or trade for something else ever since! But maybe things have changed since then?

---------- Post added 02-07-15 at 09:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
HD Pentax D FA 24-70 f/2.8

But it doesn't exist. (Yet)
as you can see reading my initial post the fact that something doesn´t exist does not deter me from buying it - has this non-existent lens been announced yet? So far I have only seen announcements for non-existent zoom lenses with longer focal lengths but maybe I am looking in the wrong direction?

02-07-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello from a Sucker!

The marketing gambit of announcing the new FF body way before it hits the streets has snagged me; bedazzled by the smoke surrounding this as yet non-existent product I took the plunge earlier today and bought a K-5 that I hope will keep me happy until the real thing comes out later this year. Meanwhile I need a lens and am trying to figure out among the many to choose from:

which is the BEST mid-range AF FF zoom about 20-80mm with maximum f2.8 or more throughout available for Pentax today?

I figure from good experiences elsewhere the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM AF is a good bet but not sure if apart from the mount the Pentax version is exactly the same as the Sonycanikon versions of this champ or not and/or if there is anything better available?

Obviously I need to do more homework but a helpful shove in the direction I ought to look would be much appreciated
My Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM is great. I'd go with it.
02-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Tamron 28-75 is highly-rated

Tammy 28-75 performs great on APS sensor, however, the same lens on other mount was reported having pretty week borders and corners.
The newer 24-70 is much better. It does not have PK mount, if I remember correctly. Hope 3rd party makers will add PK mount in their FF lens products soon.
02-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
A) Define "best".
in my case: (1) image quality and (2) widest aperture throughout

not so concerned about AF speed, price, color, weight, prestige, size, as others may be

02-07-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used an FA 24-90 on my MZ-S with good results. Still have it. Not terribly fast, though.
02-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello from a Sucker!

There aren't really any modern lenses that fit the bill, yet. Sigma's 24-70mm and Tamron's 28-75mm lenses are good, as is the Pentax FA* 28-70mm, but I'm sure updated alternatives will be released once the FF comes out.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-07-2015, 09:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

in my case: (1) image quality and (2) widest aperture throughout

not so concerned about AF speed, price, color, weight, prestige, size, as others may be
Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM and the FA*28-70 2.8 would be the best normal zooms, closely followed by the Tamron 28-75.

None of them are as good as the pro Canon or Nikon normal zooms though. I'd expect Pentax to release a DFA 24-70 f/2.8 in the next 12 to 18 months, expect it to cost $2,000 or so.
02-07-2015, 10:00 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

as you can see reading my initial post the fact that something doesn´t exist does not deter me from buying it - has this non-existent lens been announced yet? So far I have only seen announcements for non-existent zoom lenses with longer focal lengths but maybe I am looking in the wrong direction?
No, your vision is fine. I am just extrapolating that lens from the announcement of the 70-200. If they are going to make a 70-200 they are going to make a 24-70. Though it might be 28-70 or 28-75 or something else. But there will be a top notch star normal range zoom. I'm hoping for 24-70 though.

I suspect it will get announced with the camera.
02-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The answer would be the FA*28-70 I'm sure, unless you don't like Pentax-branded glass (I do).

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I used an FA 24-90 on my MZ-S with good results. Still have it. Not terribly fast, though.
If you do get one, make sure it's a good copy. I think there are more bad ones than the average lens. This lens takes nice photos, though - in fact, even a "bad" copy can take pretty nice photos.

I realize it doesn't meet your criteria for a wider aperture, however.
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To launch a FF camera without a 24-70mm/2.8 zoom for it will be a little, hmm, strange. Unless, another lens, with somehow close range is made. Lets say, 24-60mm/2, or something close. So, I'm pretty sure that Pentax will launch a lens like this together with the FF.

But you wouldn't be wrong if you buy a Sigma equivalent, because, for sure, the Pentax lens will be much more expensive, and you can decide to keep the Sigma, or you can sell it with no problem. And I suspect that the price of Sigma and Tamron will rise on the second hand market, when the price of new lens from Pentax will be announced.
02-08-2015, 01:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The Sigma was considered by many as being better than the cannon L equivalent when it was first released, Cannon has subsequently updated theirs! (at $2K)
02-08-2015, 08:28 AM   #15
Pentaxian

nobody mentioned any version Tokin, using old TOKINA ATX PRO SV 28-70 / 2.8 on K30 and I am very satisfied with the quality and speed of focusing optics, but I'm not happy with the weight of the lens