Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #1

Is FA limiteds due for refresh?

Thank to FF announcement, I just purchased K3 kit and was searching for FA limiteds as I will probably be able use them when FF body is available. And then I realized that while Pentax did update DA Limiteds with HD coating , none of FAs are updated. I am specifucaly considering buying 31 and 77.

Does this mean Pentax is probably thinking updating these lenses at the time of FF Body release? And I sit worth to purchase them now or better wait till end of the year?

PS: typing from phone so please excuse any typos/spellings

02-08-2015, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good question and one many people would like the answer to.

One would expect a refreshed DFA Limited line with quick shift, HD coatings, digital optimized interiors and maybe (but probably not) WR. I love quick shift and the lack of that has kept me from buying the FA Limiteds for some time. On the other hand a refreshed line will almost certainly cost a lot more than the current stock, and probably will not have aperture rings. They might have DC motors but that is reaching.
02-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This question has come up in several threads already and I'm noticing a pattern.

Those who have any one or two or all three of the FA Limiteds aren't looking for an update nor do they care. The IQ of these lenses on something like the K-3 is stellar! Super sharp, great colors, and artistic rendering. An updated FA Limited line is kind of a "meh... whatever.." I think we'd rather see energy put into a new FA Limited lens, something like a FA 20 Limited. We'd be all over that!

Those who don't have any of the Limiteds are really, really curious. It would bring down the prices of the current line up and maybe offer an improvement to those who are opening to buying new lenses at whatever prices they are offered at. Believe me, they won't be cheap!

It would make sense from a product roadmap and marketing point of view to update the FA Limiteds. That would help bring all the lenses in line with a uniform marking and manufacturing scheme. However, we don't know just how far the update would go. Coatings only? Coatings + quick shift? Coatings + quick shift + WR?

For me personally, I wouldn't upgrade.
02-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good point

02-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
For me personally, I wouldn't upgrade.
Neither would I, the FA limited lenses are superb as they are.

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 Limited @ f/1.8 1/250th ISO 800
02-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It won't be an issue until the current inventory of FA Limiteds is exhausted, whenever that will be. Then again, the new camera might just hasten the day.
02-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm quite happy with the fa limiteds as they are tbh. You could make a case that quick shift + HD coatings would be a nice refresh, but beyond that the current lenses are perfect as they are. I'm not convinced rounded aperture blades would help much (the smc da21 is the only limited lens I would consider upgrading due to the rounded aperture). WR would be kinda nice to have, but it's not a deal breaker on current limiteds tbh.

I'd rather see pentax release a 24 f2 and 135 f2 myself (and maybe some zooms, eg 24-70 f2.8, 18-35 f4). A refresh of the fa limiteds can wait a few more years yet IMHO.

02-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

They will certainly be refreshed just as the DA Limited primes have been. Look for the new old green band replacing the new old red bands on the new FA Limiteds.
02-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
Thank to FF announcement, I just purchased K3 kit and was searching for FA limiteds as I will probably be able use them when FF body is available. And then I realized that while Pentax did update DA Limiteds with HD coating , none of FAs are updated. I am specifucaly considering buying 31 and 77.

Does this mean Pentax is probably thinking updating these lenses at the time of FF Body release? And I sit worth to purchase them now or better wait till end of the year?

PS: typing from phone so please excuse any typos/spellings
In all honesty, HD vs SMC coating is as much a marketing ploy as it is a practical enhancement, since the SMC coating has been improved greatly over time without being re-branded. I think more would have to be done to warrant an upgrade, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. Rumors have it that the FA Limiteds will indeed be refreshed. It wouldn't be too surprising for us to see some new DFA Limiteds

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FA limiteds will eventually get a refresh with weather sealing, quick shift and HD coating. They'll cost more and I'm not particularly interested, since I own a couple of them currently. I wouldn't wait to get them if you get a good deal on one currently.
02-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Since nobody really knows what "pixie dust" is, even the most superficial update could destroy it ... in the eyes of some.

Nevertheless, I vote for HD and quick shift.
05-22-2016, 12:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Now that the K-1 is out, any rumors of a refresh on the FA Limiteds? Would that be something that would show up on the lens roadmap?
05-22-2016, 05:45 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well there are 3 lenses on the roadmap that looks suspiciously like FA limited replacements. Beyond that, I don't think we'll here any further rumours until next year at the earliest I'd imagine....
05-23-2016, 12:57 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
there are 3 lenses on the roadmap that looks suspiciously like FA limited replacements
Or just re-hashes of older designs...or possibly further re-badges of existing Tamron lenses.
05-23-2016, 03:08 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax clearly has other lenses to develop before they go back and do anything with the FA limiteds. They need several primes of various focal lengths and the FA limiteds are more than adequate at their current focal lengths.

My guess is that it will happen in two to three years...