Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #1

10-17mm fisheye and purple fringing

Anybody experience purple fringing with the fisheye? Is it normal?

On the upper left and along the edge of the big pillar on the right

The cable car lines

The light above the train

05-30-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes.

All my high contrast areas at 10-14mm or so using this lens has obvious PF.
I expect it though - the way these light rays have to travel to reach the sensor baffles me...
Don't know how this compares with other FE lenses, but it doesn't bother me too much.
05-30-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Forum Member

Yes. It's very easy to create PF with the Pentax FE and it's very noticable too.

I like your shots, too bad about the PF though
05-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Unfortunately ALL Fisheye lenses have problematic purple fringing because of the way the lens is designed and also they are never critically sharp on object that are far away. The best thing you can do is realize that all brands fisheyes have this issue and know that the Pentax 10-17 is by the most versatile one.

05-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

When you use this lens, it is not the CA you are most worried about. You are after the distorsion and overall fun specific to this fish eye lens.
05-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
When you use this lens, it is not the CA you are most worried about. You are after the distorsion and overall fun specific to this fish eye lens.
i love the fisheye effect. I was just wondering if the PF was normal for this lens. Other than the PF I'm very pleased with the lens.
05-30-2008, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
i love the fisheye effect. I was just wondering if the PF was normal for this lens. Other than the PF I'm very pleased with the lens.
Pentax tends to get pasted over purple fringing. Some of the discussions about PF over on the PDML regarding this has centered around Pentax's use of a less aggressive anti aliasing filter in the optical path making their cameras somewhat more prone to PF.
The upside is that with a less aggrssive anti aliasing filter, it is possible to take better advantage of the better quality Pentax lenses, since a strong AA filter does degrade system resolution.
Very retrofocal lens formulas will tend to be more prone to CA (which is what lens produced PF is) than other lens designs..
At least, this is what the smart boys on the PDML say.
05-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Unfortunately, PF with this lens is a necessary evil.....especially in bright light. The lens is too much fun have it in my bag and not use it. Here's an extreme case of it, but it can be controlled somewhat (like pic #2) if you can shoot in the F8 range. This one was shot at F4.5:

05-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My DA fisheye LOVES PF!!!
05-31-2008, 03:00 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
And then this lens will surprise you. Despite the heavy contrast of white and dark it is well controlled here. (This image is just converted from RAW and resized.)

Last edited by J.Scott; 05-31-2008 at 03:08 AM.
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I guess in the end though ... if you want to try and reduce it ... when shooting with a Fisheye lens ... shoot in RAW ... and PP it out later on.
06-03-2008, 09:49 AM   #12

Original Poster
I'll try shooting in RAW and converting it. This lens is totally fun to play with though. I can live w/ some PF.
06-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darthku Quote
I'll try shooting in RAW and converting it. This lens is totally fun to play with though. I can live w/ some PF.
PF can be annoying but I much prefer PF than soft images. I wrote up a blog post that I used free tool XnView and PFree (a photoshop free plugin) to correct PF, you are more than welcome to make reference

Purple Fringe with Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro - Hin's Tech Corner

But if you have photoshop and the like, it should be an easy task to deal with PF. The PF shown in the above pictures don't bother me as my attention is drawn more towards the architecture and the fantastic wide view.

I remember Jsherman999 mention one time on his preference on lens with highest priority on sharpness and I share that criteria in choosing lens.