Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 05:38 PM   #61
Veteran Member

What is so special about this lens, as the seller to ask this price?

02-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
What is so special about this lens, as the seller to ask this price?
The price of this lens is for two main reasons (aside from being an A lens with the contacts)

1. There are not many around and is a star lens with ED glass. What do you pay for a rare lens that performs exceptionally well on digital?
2. Splendid macro. Truly splendid. People pay very good money for the Bokina ($500+) and get value for money. The A*200 macro is better.

I paid about that much for an A*200 macro and do not regret it at all. It is superior to the Bokina in sharpness, working distance (yes an important factor) and Bokeh. It also performs better at infinity focus.

Anyway, it all depends on what you want. If working distance is not a factor then the Bokina/ others such as the 105mm macros are perfect. But, to get extra reach combined with superior optics, the A*200 is unbeatable.
02-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 DI Macro and the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro. I use the 50mm macro for flowers and some bugs, the Tamron is better for bugs especially when coupled with the Tamron 1.4 teleconverter. The Pentax is sharper but many consider it to be the sharpest Pentax lens. You can find the Tamron on here for around $300 one member had one listed for $285. If weather sealing is not a concern than I say go with the Tamron it is a nice sharp lens. The only downside to the Tamron is the focusing clutch. It is a two step process to switch from auto to manual focus. I have never found this to be a problem. The focus limiter on the Tamron is handy to have. Just remember that to the difference is the higher the focal length of the macro the farther you have to be from the subject to achieve 1:1 magnification.

Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro on my K10D at 2.8