Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #241
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lemonsoda Quote
Ok, the weather is still but I made a quick and dirty comparison from my roof window.

All jpeg ooc, the name of the file provides all necessary information (d530060063 means: Nikon D5300, 600mm, f6.3)

4ykPs3H

j5300 = Nikon 1 J5 with adaptor and Tamron 70-300 VC at 300mm/5.6
At first glance it looks as I have always suspected that even when the K3 has the greater pixel density with the 150-450 than a FF 36mp and the 150-600 it still shows how much enlarging taxes the image quality that a lens projects.
There is very little difference between the k3 450 and the D800 600 and would chalk up the difference to how each JPG engine processed the files. If we take away the pixel density of the K3 and use a K1 and the 150-450 the difference we see between the pentax and the tamron on 36mp one would think that the tamron could pull ahead.

Thank you for posting these ISF

It would be interesting to see how the new II of the tamron fairs

Edit After reviewing the images that use the same pixel density D5300/ 600mm to the K3/450 you can see that the 150-600 has pulled ahead

Last edited by Ian Stuart Forsyth; 10-09-2016 at 02:16 PM.
10-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #242
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
Edit After reviewing the images that use the same pixel density D5300/ 600mm to the K3/450 you can see that the 150-600 has pulled ahead
Yes, but watch the results at 630mm on Pentax. That was the most surprising thing for me: the 150-450 delivers very sharp images with the TC even wide open (stopping down is even worse!) and the K-3 II had no problem focussing.
10-10-2016, 05:17 AM   #243
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We'll, good to see things wrapping up here.... you can never have too much data.
10-13-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #244
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We'll, good to see things wrapping up here.... you can never have too much data.
Well, Tony Northrup made a video posted on youtube here
where he compares the 150-600s on 5DIII to Canon 400mm prime on crop; and submitted images for vote to his community. He concludes: 400mm Canon cropped is sharper than the 600mm on full frame. Also, he mentions that there is not gain of resolution between 500mm and 600mm, meaning that the sharpness drops as fast as the magnification, so there is not benefit of using the 600mm instead of 500mm.

10-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Interesting, that might explain some of the posted fuzzy looking images I've seen taken with it.
10-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #246
Veteran Member

Hello Everyone,

I ended up some days ago with a copy of this 150-450. I offered it to my Dad last year but he never really used it as lens is too heavy for him ; it was not a problem at this time but fast growing hips pain keeps him away from his photo hobby for months.
I do not really know what to do with it as my next spending will be a body : my k-x is getting old, I suppose particularly too old to take full advantage of this lens? Which bodies would be descent fits in this case?
Also I am wondering whether new AW 1.4 tc is fully compatible with this telezoom ? On pentax site I can read that usage has to be f4 or brighter which is impossible with this lens.
10-14-2016, 06:24 AM   #247
Pentaxian

Dude as a guy recovering from total hip replacement, providing that is an option. I waited a year or two longer than I should have, You get no credit in heaven for the years you spend in pain, because you didn't get around to having it done, Of course I live in Canada where it didi't cost me a cent,

There are many folks using the 1.4 and the 150-450. It may struggle bit in low light, but on a bright sunny day it's a wonderful thing. Given the Tony Northrup review saying IQ wise, a Tamron 150-600 doesn't increase subject resolution after 500mm, you just get a bigger fuzzier image, it may be the best relatively inexpensive way to get to 600mm. Just from using my own equipment, the 1.4 is still largely functional on 5.6 lenses. I use mine with my A-400 f5.6 and focus confirmation is still accurate.

10-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, Tony Northrup made a video posted on youtube here Tamron 150-600 f/5-f/6.3 Review: The ultimate wildlife lens for $1,000? - YouTube where he compares the 150-600s on 5DIII to Canon 400mm prime on crop; and submitted images for vote to his community. He concludes: 400mm Canon cropped is sharper than the 600mm on full frame. Also, he mentions that there is not gain of resolution between 500mm and 600mm, meaning that the sharpness drops as fast as the magnification, so there is not benefit of using the 600mm instead of 500mm.
Pfff... save God I don't buy lenses or cameras based on what this family say in their videos.

In the video below they said that all of them are sharp and you can't tell the difference between images, in your video they say that 400mm is way sharper than Tamron... I wonder if they stop for a second in making their videos and see what they said a few month ago about the same lenses?!

10-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #249
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Pfff... save God I don't buy lenses or cameras based on what this family say in their videos.

In the video below they said that all of them are sharp and you can't tell the difference between images, in your video they say that 400mm is way sharper than Tamron... I wonder if they stop for a second in making their videos and see what they said a few month ago about the same lenses?!

Canon 100-400 II vs Sigma 150-600 Sport & Tamron 150-600, Canon 400 f5.6 +Wildlife Photography Tips - YouTube
Typical, shoot the messenger.
10-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #250
Forum Member

After 300mm equivalent IBIS becomes a problem for me, it takes some effort to aim properly at medium short distances because of the lack of optical stabilization. I don't think Pentax is the best option for birders.

Aside from the Canon 400mm f/5.6 which remain the best buck for bang lens in this category, you can have access to rented super telephoto lenses way easier by going with a Nikon or Canon.

With this in mind I find it a little difficult to see Pentax introducing longer lenses than the 150-450mm, the Pentax 560mm is a bit of an oddity.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 04:56 PM ----------

Canon 100-400 II vs Sigma 150-600 Sport & Tamron 150-600, Canon 400 f5.6 +Wildlife Photography Tips - YouTube
The thing is you have to take into account the technique needed for longer than 300mm focal length. Some lenses are too much actually for most people to handle. So they have a point when they talk about real world situations.

With an APS-c camera I would not dream to use something more than a 400mm without a tripod.
10-14-2016, 07:02 AM   #251
Veteran Member

Typical, shoot the messenger.
Don't make me search the thread where you put the same messenger with the face to the wall and "killed" him with cold blood when he said bad things about Pentax K1. So, please spare me of your "objective" comments.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 02:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
So they have a point when they talk about real world situations.
I love real word situations and images taken in real word situations, I hate charts from DXO, DPreview, etc. and I don't like videos done just to post something and be active on social media and get likes and audience, especially from people who said completly different things a few months ago (I reffer to Tony Northrup and his wife).
10-14-2016, 07:17 AM   #252
Forum Member

I love real word situations and images taken in real word situations, I hate charts from DXO, DPreview, etc. and I don't like videos done just to post something and be active on social media and get likes and audience, especially from people who said completly different things a few months ago (I reffer to Tony Northrup and his wife).
On principle you are right.

In practice even a broken analog watch shows the correct hour two times a day, on the matter of max magnification on a tight budget they come close enough to the truth in this case.

That been said I would love to have money and space to burn and get a K-1 with a 150-450mm this day.

I am sure I would get even more weird looks than I get with a 55-300 and a K-30 but who cares.
10-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacu Quote
After 300mm equivalent IBIS becomes a problem for me, it takes some effort to aim properly at medium short distances because of the lack of optical stabilization. I don't think Pentax is the best option for birders.

Aside from the Canon 400mm f/5.6 which remain the best buck for bang lens in this category, you can have access to rented super telephoto lenses way easier by going with a Nikon or Canon.

With this in mind I find it a little difficult to see Pentax introducing longer lenses than the 150-450mm, the Pentax 560mm is a bit of an oddity.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 04:56 PM ----------

The thing is you have to take into account the technique needed for longer than 300mm focal length. Some lenses are too much actually for most people to handle. So they have a point when they talk about real world situations.

With an APS-c camera I would not dream to use something more than a 400mm without a tripod.
This is a thought process I haven't heard before. Maybe you could go over to the 300 plus club, post a few images, and explain your problem. I'm sure there's a few people who can help you get better images with in body shake reduction, if that's truly a problem.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-club...nses-1568.html

It's not thought to be a problem among most Pentax users, so I wonder who you're talking about.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 10:30 AM ----------

Don't make me search the thread where you put the same messenger with the face to the wall and "killed" him with cold blood when he said bad things about Pentax K1. So, please spare me of your "objective" comments.

---------- Post added 10-14-16 at 02:06 PM ----------

Most of us are not committed to our opinions and change them as new information is presented. A few just endlessly trot out the same old crap.
10-14-2016, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #254
Veteran Member

Most of us are not committed to our opinions and change them as new information is presented.
You beeing a very good example of a person who change his opinions as new information is presented. Best joke of the week. I saw some of your comments in different threads in which topics involves other brand cameras...you pick a fight with anyone who dare to say that there is life outside Pentax.

It's a forum for God's sake. We are here to socialize and talk from experience about gear we use/used. You talked about lenses you never put your hands on and try to convince people you are open minded...

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-14-2016 at 07:53 AM.
10-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #255
Pentaxian

You beeing a very good example of a person who change his opinions as new information is presented. Best joke of the week. I saw some of your comments in different threads in which topics involves other brand cameras...you pick a fight with anyone who dare to say that there is life outside Pentax.
The fact that you have this opinion of me doesn't mean anyone else shares your view. I pick a fight with anyone who from their position of ignorance repeats untruths about Pentax gear and it's capabilities. And yes, that has been you more than a few times.

I'm not sure why you are so anti-Pentax, but my guess is, you're just a person who likes to argue.

OK so you don't like Tony Northrup's video showing your prized lens you've been touting all over the forum to be a piece of junk. Produce your own video that would show different. Oops, that would require getting off your lazy ass and actually contributing something useful. That's not going to happen is it?

Anyway enough of this idiocy. Back to the ignore list with you.

Last edited by normhead; 10-14-2016 at 08:00 AM.