Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar 70-210 - tight mount?

I've received Vivitar 70-210 4.5-5.6 today. It has PK-A/R mount.

So far I've only tried to put it on K-7. The thing is that the mount is somehow very tight and you need some force to screw the lens (especially at the beginning, then - before locking into end position - it gets a little looser).

Is it normal for these older lenses?

Could I do any harm to the camera body/contacts?

02-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No it is not normal--the mount may be bent--I would worry this will unduly wear the camera end with repeated mountings. I would try and return the lens.
02-12-2015, 08:43 AM   #3

Could it be the shield on the auto-stop-down lever? I can't tell from the photo if it is too big or not but it looks like there is a long scuff mark on it.
02-12-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Normal? Not usually. I do have a couple of lenses that mount tighter that others, but the tightness is not excessive and is the same through the full motion. One of these is an early-80s vintage Vivitar. I have a couple of bodies that also mount tighter than others.

I would visually inspect the mount tangs on the lens. Any physical damage should be easy to see.

Steve

02-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes not normal and not good. If very tight then its not good idea to use at all. I seen many tight mounts, some are still usable if little tight only but very tight that really need force to mount/unmount I have seen few only. Worst was one tokina 28mm, lens aperture ring did actually go broken while I did unmount lens. I keep old film body just to test mounting of every second hand film area lens before mounting to digital body. Few weeks ago I needed tto return da 18-55 v2 kit lens cos its mount was too tight. So this mount happends and are more common with old third party manufacturer lenses than pentax branded lenses but newer know everything is possible...
02-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

And many of those PkAr marked lenses seems to be little tight mounts, so risk to get tight mount lens is bigger than PK mount lenses. I think PKAr lenses are actually Ricoh mounts that have Ricoh extra pin also. That extra pin make contact with AF screw while mounting and its good idea to set body to MF to make AF screw go inside mount and not make mounting even harder.

Like 'Not A Number' said looks like stopdown level shield is more big size than in normal pentax lenses. Its good idea to try to make it more little. Just unscrew those 3 croshead screws to get that dark ring including shield out and do work shield more little. I use sandpaper for that, takes about half hour work.
02-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After reading this Sears 60-300(auto aperture, push pull zoom): Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review I dismounted the "Ricoh" pin (from preventive reasons). But it looks like this was not the reason of tight screwing.

Also I tried to reduce thickness of the lever shield. Looks like this has no influence either.

I tend to think that it's the metal mount itself (that it's maybe on the edge of the size tolerance and therefore more firm.

02-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

yeah mount is tight, reject that lens. Maybe u can not return anymore but do if u can, but maybe u can ask some kind of refund cos lens can not be used. sometimes its like this...
02-12-2015, 04:27 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Interesting... Here ( http://www.robertstech.com/compat.htm ) is written: "Lenses designated "PK-A/R" are Pentax and Ricoh compatible, and should be safe." Hmmm.....
02-12-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yes it is cos many of those pkar mount lenses have stopdown level shield too big to fit any pentax body ever made but still those lenses were sold for pentax cameras. Most of my pkar lenses have little or more tight mount, if not all...I try to avoid now those pkar mount lenses if can not try before buy.