Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

D-fa 100mm wr

so.. This lens doesn't have the clamp and focus limiter?

02-12-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Huy
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
No it doesn't.
02-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
man that is a real let down. I wonder why they didn't include that
02-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
man that is a real let down. I wonder why they didn't include that
Optically, the DFA 100mm WR is a great lens. Very sharp, flat field of focus, QS, WR. I think the reason they omitted the limiter and clamp is because of QS. They assumed a clamp is no longer needed because of tight tolerances and low weight of the lens, that limiter is not needed because you can always manually twist the focus from one end to the other, or just to adjust.
But I do agree. Missing focus limiter and aperture ring are the big things for me and would greatly add to the useability of the lens. This is why some people prefer the older F version. Not WR, maybe older lens coatings and slightly different shape of aperture blades, but basically the same IQ with more features. Hope the DFA WR gets a revamp and they add these things for the FF. It has pro-level optics, why not add pro level features.
That being said, the WR with its aluminum barrel and sleek surface looks really really great, better than the older versions imo

02-12-2015, 10:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
they omitted the limiter and clamp is because of QS
I believe so. And I like this movement. I personally prefer the QS and use it a lot for pre focusing, if I have to switching for close focusing to tele, and let the camera do the fine adjustment. I turn it to MF for macro anyway.

But I do miss the aperture ring. Lens doesn't look as nice without one :-). And it limits the usage on sony A7.

all said, a great lens. I am not regret upgrade from sigma and non-wr version. round aperture blades are nice to have here.
02-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree with quick shift vs clamp. And it's not needed, the feel of the focus ring is excellent as it is.

I also think they omitted the limited because of quick shift. You can correct easily if the camera isn't going in the right direction with QS.
02-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Coming from a macro that did have the focus limiter, I don't miss it at all. 99% of the time I am manual focusing anyway. There isn't a huge amount of travel in the focus ring, so it isn't cumbersome to manually focus even from the far end. If anything, I might wish there were MORE travel in the focus ring to make micro adjustments easier -- but only sometimes.
02-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The disadvantage of not having a focus limiter doesn't arise when using the lens for macro, because I use MF anyway. It arises when using it as a general medium tele, when it can hunt like crazy (especially if you don't pre-focus). But it's such a wonderful lens that I just regard that as an idiosyncracy.

02-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The disadvantage of not having a focus limiter doesn't arise when using the lens for macro, because I use MF anyway. It arises when using it as a general medium tele, when it can hunt like crazy (especially if you don't pre-focus).
Yes! MF and QS is good for macro, but if you want to take a photo of a passing seagull, a person across the street... then you will have a difficult time. Especially if you are using live view. If this lens had a focus limiter, it would still be a great macro lens, but it would also become a great general tele lens.