Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by igabc Quote
Guys please point me to a good zoom in the range between35-150 and 70-200
For my new K3. I'd like to stay below 300 dollars

Love
Gabriele
AF or MF?

If you want MF and can find one, a vivitar series 1 70-210 F3.5 ( first version of the lens with constant aperture). Sharp, fast easy to use as it is a single ring push pull zoom, reliable and quick to focus with 180 degree throw from minimum to infinity, but enough throw to be accurate. It is a true zoom, so bulling straight back does not change focus, and it can do 1:2.2 macro with no adaptors. They usually go cheap,mount are very high quality

---------- Post added 02-13-2015 at 02:02 AM ----------

The range is too big. I consider this lens to be a very good one for those who choose to have ONE multi purpose lens, only one.

Thank you

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 12:18 AM ----------

Ok after 3 hours spent on this topic, reading all the reviews about the lenses you suggested, I think I have more clear what I need...

manual focus: important
sharpness: important. but maybe post production will help.
CA: I can't compromise here. can't be fixed in post.
weight: not a problem
not too big zoom range. I rather buy 2 higher quality smaller range zoom lenses, rather than 1 big range.
performance in low light: important but the K3 is amazing at high iso so maybe that will help where the lens lacks. Plus, a good flash is always on my camera. Guys, do the same. Light is almost never perfect out there so flash, always ready.

I love the idea of a full frame lens, as it won't matter if it loses image quality at the corners and edges. nice.
Bokeh: important. I don't get it...I've read someone complaining about a bad bokeh on a zoom lens at wide. bah!
auto focus speed: not important at the moment. manual focus is more fun and challenging.

Maybe I'll go for the 50-300

Do I make sense?

P.s. I think those who write reviews should never miss to state the cameras they tested the lenses with.
Ok, so in reading this,myounwant to use flash, so, any lens must be KA or later to use your flash , so strike the series one lens I suggested,

One thing to note, you are wrong about CA. With the right post processing tools Lateral CA can be easily fixed in post processing, as can purple finding, but sharpness cannot.

Also note that edge sharpness and lateral CA go hand in hand. I did a series of posts looking at a lens that had very bad lateral CA. Pentax photo lab , Photoshop, and many other programs and photo shop compatible plug ins have lateral CA correction which is done by rescaling the three Color layers. Lateral CA is the result of slightly different magnification at different wavelengths, and if your CA correction works by rescaling the color layers (by changing the magnification of each) you can almost completely eliminate it, and the resulting improvement in edge sharpness is quite noticible

02-13-2015, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

W-o-w!

---------- Post added 02-13-15 at 01:48 AM ----------

bought the 18-135 WR

I think it's a must have.

Next will be a pro flash.

Thanks a lot everybody!
G
Awesome! Glad I remembered to mention it. That is a fun lens.
02-13-2015, 08:47 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
AF or MF?

If you want MF and can find one, a vivitar series 1 70-210 F3.5 ( first version of the lens with constant aperture). Sharp, fast easy to use as it is a single ring push pull zoom, reliable and quick to focus with 180 degree throw from minimum to infinity, but enough throw to be accurate. It is a true zoom, so bulling straight back does not change focus, and it can do 1:2.2 macro with no adaptors. They usually go cheap,mount are very high quality

---------- Post added 02-13-2015 at 02:02 AM ----------

Ok, so in reading this,myounwant to use flash, so, any lens must be KA or later to use your flash , so strike the series one lens I suggested,

One thing to note, you are wrong about CA. With the right post processing tools Lateral CA can be easily fixed in post processing, as can purple finding, but sharpness cannot.

Also note that edge sharpness and lateral CA go hand in hand. I did a series of posts looking at a lens that had very bad lateral CA. Pentax photo lab , Photoshop, and many other programs and photo shop compatible plug ins have lateral CA correction which is done by rescaling the three Color layers. Lateral CA is the result of slightly different magnification at different wavelengths, and if your CA correction works by rescaling the color layers (by changing the magnification of each) you can almost completely eliminate it, and the resulting improvement in edge sharpness is quite noticible
Found one. Working on it. Thank you!
02-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #19

Original Poster
ok I am back to this thread, after 1 week playing with the new K-3 and the 18-135.
I learned that not all the lenses come out good. Maybe mine was one of the bad ones. I am really disappointed of the sharpness of this lens. CA, Bokeh, colors and overall quality is very good but the details are really bad so, I am going to return it.

The sample pictures in the dedicated thread here on Pentax Forums are very good, but they were resized down so, you can't tell how good they were at full resolution.

I found this comparison https://www.flickr.com/photos/47244597@N00/sets/72157640900479083/with/12489252175/
The difference is impressive to me. I'll go for the Tamron but maybe I'll get the 24-300

According to the review on PentaxForums Tamron SP AF 24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical [IF] Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database the Tamron seems worse than the Pentax, but those images on the test from Mark Hoffman speak clear.

02-27-2015, 06:27 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the lens is under warranty, send it in for evaluation.
02-27-2015, 06:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I learned that not all the lenses come out good. Maybe mine was one of the bad ones. I am really disappointed of the sharpness of this lens. CA, Bokeh, colors and overall quality is very good but the details are really bad so, I am going to return it.
Don't feel bad. My DA 18-135 wasn't up to par either so I sold it. Hey that $50 Pentax F70-210 is still waiting for ya I found it much sharper than my DA 18-135. What's to lose?
02-27-2015, 08:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Based on your requirements and price range, I recommend the following:

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5
SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f/4 Macro 1:4

They are manual focus lenses but otherwise have the "A" contacts and will work with all your camera modes. I have the A 70-210mm and it's surprisingly easy to focus, a joy to work with and renders wonderful colors. The 35-105 I don't have but it's universally praised. I'd throw in an A or M 50 1.7 in the mix and you should have a nice setup, just add a wide angle later.

02-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #23
Pentaxian

manual focus: important
I actually believe that in terms of longer focal lengths, AF is more important (because of the narrower built-in DOF).

CA: I can't compromise here. can't be fixed in post.
Actually, no. Most CAs can be fixed in post (if you shoot RAW and use a good raw converter such as Lightroom).
02-27-2015, 10:34 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I actually believe that in terms of longer focal lengths, AF is more important (because of the narrower built-in DOF).

Actually, no. Most CAs can be fixed in post (if you shoot RAW and use a good raw converter such as Lightroom).
Yes, II've been corrected about this here in this thread by someone else. Thank you though.

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 12:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Don't feel bad. My DA 18-135 wasn't up to par either so I sold it. Hey that $50 Pentax F70-210 is still waiting for ya I found it much sharper than my DA 18-135. What's to lose?
Where is it?

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 12:42 PM ----------

I've been sending hours yesterday reading lens reviews.
I want sharpness above 8.5, decent and precise manual focus, I don't care about autofocus, A lenses preferred but a can even Go for the old manual lenses above 135 because I have then almost all from my old MX.
I want great sharpness, colors and contrast. I can compromise on vignetting, autofocus, weight...not important.

Ok I'll get back to you later.

Thank you again!
02-27-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Yes, II've been corrected about this here in this thread by someone else. Thank you though.

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 12:35 PM ----------

Where is it?

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 12:42 PM ----------

I've been sending hours yesterday reading lens reviews.
I want sharpness above 8.5, decent and precise manual focus, I don't care about autofocus, A lenses preferred but a can even Go for the old manual lenses above 135 because I have then almost all from my old MX.
I want great sharpness, colors and contrast. I can compromise on vignetting, autofocus, weight...not important.

Ok I'll get back to you later.

Thank you again!
Ebay. I just bought one a few weeks ago for $40 and purchased its cousin the Takumar version for $25. So far I can't tell the difference in IQ between the two. They both look exactly alike.

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

There's one right now on ebay for $49.99 or best offer.
02-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Ebay. I just bought one a few weeks ago for $40 and purchased its cousin the Takumar version for $25. So far I can't tell the difference in IQ between the two. They both look exactly alike.

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 01:35 PM ----------

There's one right now on ebay for $49.99 or best offer.
I can't find it. Can u pls send me the link?

I found one for $109 but I rather spend 50 :P

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 06:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Based on your requirements and price range, I recommend the following:

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5
SMC Pentax-A 70-210mm f/4 Macro 1:4

They are manual focus lenses but otherwise have the "A" contacts and will work with all your camera modes. I have the A 70-210mm and it's surprisingly easy to focus, a joy to work with and renders wonderful colors. The 35-105 I don't have but it's universally praised. I'd throw in an A or M 50 1.7 in the mix and you should have a nice setup, just add a wide angle later.

Hello Christian and thank you for the suggestions. I was actually looking at those 2 lenses last night and I am bidding already.

Thanks again!
02-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I can't find it. Can u pls send me the link?
Pentax F SMC AF 70 210mm F 4 5 6 Autofocus Lens 1986 1990 | eBay

I'm not sure about the separation ring thing, but the ones I purchased were perfect. Maybe wait a bit for the right one to come along.

I don't see a Takumar version right now, but they should be about $25 or so.

Time is your friend when it comes to ebay

---------- Post added 02-27-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

Here, I found one at KEH for $56. https://www.keh.com/241282/pentax-70-210mm-f-4-5-6-takumar-f-k-mount-autofocus-lens-49

KEH is highly regarded on these forums.
(Our 180-day, non-transferable warranty allows you to buy with the assurance that your purchase is seamless and hassle free.)

Last edited by Driline; 02-27-2015 at 04:47 PM.
02-27-2015, 06:56 PM   #28

Original Poster
OK I remember this lens was suggested here in this thread, days ago. I didn't buy it because of the small manual focus ring.

I just bought this one: Vivitar 80-200mm F4 MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM MC Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database from Canada, for USD 34 on ebay. Hopfully is in good shape, as it is a non-return deal

I want an AF as well so maybe I should go for this one you found on KEH.

I've seen your lens list on your profile page. You have good words about the AF 35-70 but I can't find it online to buy it. I found this one Pentax AF 35 70mm F3 5 4 5 SMC Takumar F Lens 396 | eBay - is it the same lens?

thanks!
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I've seen your lens list on your profile page. You have good words about the AF 35-70 but I can't find it online to buy it. I found this one Pentax AF 35 70mm F3 5 4 5 SMC Takumar F Lens 396 | eBay - is it the same lens?
Yes same lens. I also found this actual Pentax F 35-70 on ebay for $40 buy it now. That's a good price. 35 70mm 35 70 3 5 4 5 SMC Pentax F Some Interior Dust and Debris 179255 | eBay
02-27-2015, 07:28 PM   #30

Original Poster
SOME INTERIOR DUST AND DEBRIS

LOL

PS: they just sold the one I linked you to. It was you!