Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2015, 02:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

the * series

What exactly makes a lens a * series lens? At first it seems like an question. But with more careful examination it seems to get more confusing. For example one could say weather sealing. But then anything older than DA* didn't have this. Maybe aperture? But the manual focus 200mm * lens was f2.8 and they had a non * 200mm lens that had f2.5. Could it be price? With these new D-FA lenses for the full frame camera I'm wondering why the 150-450mm isn't also a * lens as its more expensive. Heck not even the 560mm has the star emblem yet you'd think that it should be worthy. Can anyone help with this?

02-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by shaolen Quote
What exactly makes a lens a * series lens? At first it seems like an question. But with more careful examination it seems to get more confusing. For example one could say weather sealing. But then anything older than DA* didn't have this. Maybe aperture? But the manual focus 200mm * lens was f2.8 and they had a non * 200mm lens that had f2.5. Could it be price? With these new D-FA lenses for the full frame camera I'm wondering why the 150-450mm isn't also a * lens as its more expensive. Heck not even the 560mm has the star emblem yet you'd think that it should be worthy. Can anyone help with this?
What makes a Canon lens an L lens?
02-12-2015, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Star lenses are pro-level lenses, similar in concept to Canon's L series, for instance. They all have fast, fixed apertures, premium image quality, and premium build quality.

why the 150-450mm isn't also a * lens
Variable aperture. It fits the bill otherwise!

Heck not even the 560mm has the star emblem yet you'd think that it should be worthy
It's a bit more surprising why this one isn't, but perhaps it's too slow / too simple of a design to be worthy of the * designation in Pentax's eyes. Pentax did make a 600mm F4, after all

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2015, 02:34 PM - 4 Likes   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
makes a lens a * series lens?
They have a level of awesomeness built in.

02-12-2015, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

When it comes to the D FA and DA Star lenses, it is about the combination of weather sealing (not the simpler weather resistance), fast aperture, Quick Shift focus and built-in AF motor in the lens plus advanced optical formulas. The DA 560 is a f/5.6 lens, compare this to the DA Star 60-250 which is a f/4 design. Seems to me that DA / DFA Star is f/4 or faster, and fixed widest aperture for the zooms not variable. The D FA 150-450 design is variable and f/5.6 as it's slowest, the D FA Star 70-200 is f/2.8.
02-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
What makes a Canon lens an L lens?
Well this is what makes the * lenses confusing. For example canons equivalent of the 150-400mm (the 100-400mm) has the L badge. Pentax doesn't have this. canon has a 400mm f4 that's an L and a 500mm f4 L. But pentax's 560mm f5.6 which you'd think would be in that realm doesn't have the * badge

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Star lenses are pro-level lenses, similar in concept to Canon's L series, for instance. They all have fast, fixed apertures, premium image quality, and premium build quality.

Variable aperture. It fits the bill otherwise!

It's a bit more surprising why this one isn't, but perhaps it's too slow / too simple of a design to be worthy of the * designation in Pentax's eyes. Pentax did make a 600mm F4, after all
This fixed aperture theory is the best answer so far. What about for primes though

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
When it comes to the D FA and DA Star lenses, it is about the combination of weather sealing (not the simpler weather resistance), fast aperture, Quick Shift focus and built-in AF motor in the lens plus advanced optical formulas. The DA 560 is a f/5.6 lens, compare this to the DA Star 60-250 which is a f/4 design. Seems to me that DA / DFA Star is f/4 or faster, and fixed widest aperture for the zooms not variable. The D FA 150-450 design is variable and f/5.6 as it's slowest, the D FA Star 70-200 is f/2.8.
This is helping a lot

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
That's for sure!

---------- Post added 02-12-15 at 01:54 PM ----------

Ok so what makes a lens a * lens is complex optical formula, weather sealing (for current line), aperture f4 or larger, fixed aperture (for zooms), and built in silent AF motor. I looked at the 200mm lenses I mentioned and realized they were of different series'. The *200mm 2.8 was A series and the 200mm 2.5 was K series and i guess they didn't come up with the * idea yet. So it probably would have the * badge had it been made later. I think we've figured it out. Thanks everyone!
02-12-2015, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I'm kind of glad Pentax doesn't use the * and ltd designations will-nilly.

02-12-2015, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This fixed aperture theory is the best answer so far. What about for primes though
Same idea: if a prime prioritizes image quality over compactness and delivers premium IQ, it's most likely going to be a star lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #9

Don't forget the slightly older FA* lenses also....
02-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here is how I see the lineup designations.
FA, DFA = designed for FF image circle
DA = designed for crop, but might secretly cover FF
limited = high build quality standards, very compact lens, good, even IQ, very contrasty rendering. (generally tessar-style designs). For traveling, artistic photos
* = priority is not compactness, but image quality and fast aperture. For top notch photos.

and then there are the AW, WR and other designations.
Of course, any of those can be used for studio work or for pro work, but there are different design philosophies behind this.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-12-2015 at 04:58 PM.
02-12-2015, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What exactly makes a lens a * series lens?
The marketing department?
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Limiteds have Pixie dust. Star lenses have "awesomeness".
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The DA 560 is a f/5.6 lens, compare this to the DA Star 60-250 which is a f/4 design.
But the FA*250-600 and F*250-600 are f/5.6..........

Fixed aperture on the zooms seems to be the only consistent characteristic. On the primes? Better optics?
02-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Limiteds have Pixie dust. Star lenses have "awesomeness"
Exactly.
02-12-2015, 06:26 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For what it's worth, The US website says:
The PENTAX DA* series of high grade lenses, designed exclusively for PENTAX digital SLR cameras, features the highest quality components and construction. DA* lenses also feature the quiet SDM focus system, and a tightly sealed weather and dust resistant construction to enhance durability and reliability in rainy or dusty conditions.

The Japan website doesn't say much:
This indicator shows the PENTAX lens series. A wide lineup of lens with a variety of individuality and expressive power are available such as various DA series, including the advanced high-end digital lens “DA Star”, and the FA series.
02-12-2015, 07:41 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok so what makes a lens a * lens is complex optical formula, weather sealing (for current line), aperture f4 or larger, fixed aperture (for zooms), and built in silent AF motor. I looked at the 200mm lenses I mentioned and realized they were of different series'. The *200mm 2.8 was A series and the 200mm 2.5 was K series and i guess they didn't come up with the * idea yet. So it probably would have the * badge had it been made later. I think we've figured it out. Thanks everyone!
The 200 f/2.5 wasn't a great lens. My dad owned it and sold it and it wasn't the lens that the A* 2.8 was/is.
02-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
The marketing department?

Limiteds have Pixie dust. Star lenses have "awesomeness".

But the FA*250-600 and F*250-600 are f/5.6..........

Fixed aperture on the zooms seems to be the only consistent characteristic. On the primes? Better optics?
Ok so f4 is no longer a criteria and this makes the 560mm more confusing as to why its not a * lens