Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2008, 06:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Lens Reference Chart - June 2008

I know this is being posted on 31 May, but I don't know when I'll have time to do it again in the next few days. Plus I couldn't wait

There are lots of changes with this edition:

1) Added a column to the left of the PentaxForum rating to indicate how many reviewers the score is derived from.

2) Added a column to the right of the Nextag links to indicate how many ratings the lens received from the sites Nextag monitors.

3) Added links to Canikon reviews on Lenses not reviewed on Pentax Mounts from Photozone.de with notes when applicable.

4) Prices indicated in red have increased since the last chart. Prices in green have decreased

5) Yellow highlights and a note when a lens applies for a standard rebate (Tamron currently) Notice that prices given are for the non rebate price.

6) Corrections to some scores. Scores from Pentaxforums were adjusted to the
score from the len's page, not the main lens listing. The main lens listing seems to round to the hundredth (9.33) whereas the actual lens page rounds to the tenth (9.3). Although I love more accurate scores, this is a minor point, as scores are not affected by any wide margin. Also, it's much easier (for me) to update scores from a lens-specific link than to search for the lens from a main listing.

Scores from Nextag were basically given the same treatment as the PentaxForum scores, as Nextag seems to have a graphic / rounding error on their main lens listings. (A 4-star lens listed on a page with many more lenses would end up being a 3.5-star lens when actually clicked, etc).

7) Updated reviews to reflect a Sigma 18-50, Pentax DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm and other lens reivews from users at PentaxForums. Thank you!

8) Other minor lens or review / link corrections

If someone would like to make the file an Adobe Reader file that's fine, as I don't have that capability.

As always, the zip file includes Excel, XML spreadsheet, and HTML single-page formats.

If someone finds errors please note them! Thanks for reading.

Attached Files
File Type: zip Pentax Lens Spreadsheet - Jun 2008.zip (65.3 KB, 255 views)

Last edited by cputeq; 05-31-2008 at 08:44 AM.
05-31-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
If someone would like to make the file an Adobe Reader file that's fine, as I don't have that capability.
Ask and it shall be done.

Nice work compiling this, quite a handy resource. Those LBA completists could add another column with an "I own it" check.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Pentax Lens Spreadsheet - Jun 2008.pdf (155.7 KB, 594 views)
05-31-2008, 04:36 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Great job. The Sigma 100-300 F4 is not listed as being an APO lens. It is - I know because I have one in front of me.
05-31-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great service for us. Thank You.

I still loved your work could be an extra page in the forum.

05-31-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
Great job. The Sigma 100-300 F4 is not listed as being an APO lens. It is - I know because I have one in front of me.

Very nice catch and thanks! I have updated the chart and it will reflect next month.

Interestingly, the APO designation seems to be missing at Adorama's description and Pentax forum (unless I'm somehow linking a Non-APO version?), but Nextag has the APO in the name, and upon zooming into the product picture at Adorama I see that it's APO on the body.

QuoteQuote:
Ask and it shall be done.

Nice work compiling this, quite a handy resource. Those LBA completists could add another column with an "I own it" check.
Thanks for the conversion!

QuoteQuote:
Great service for us. Thank You.

I still loved your work could be an extra page in the forum.
Thanks, but I spam the forums enough as it is (except with good pictures!)

Worry not, I will bump this every now and again to keep it interesting.

Thanks everyone else for using the file -- At least I know someone views it
05-31-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks,

maybe i'm blind, there is no Tamron 17-50 in there?

By the way, you should be able to download open office and use it's export to pdf capability.
05-31-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
Thanks,

maybe i'm blind, there is no Tamron 17-50 in there?

By the way, you should be able to download open office and use it's export to pdf capability.

You are not blind

Adorama isn't listing the 17-50, which is the list I'm going from. I checked Amazon also, nothing.

I briefly considered downloading just a "printer driver" that exports to PDF but they usually aren't that featured. And I already have Office 2003 installed, so I don't want to clutter my computer with more stuff, but thanks for the tip; I didn't know Open Office could do that natively.
06-01-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
The original Excel version has Excel page breaks etc. embedded. So its not as easy as open and convert to PDF. You actually have to touch it in OpenOffice (OO). The page breaks become only editable in page-break preview mode. Only after you removed them would OO create a PDF with just 3 pages. So, not that trivial for an OO newbie.

But with OO becoming ever more popular and being stable for large documents, it certainly can't hurt to install it. It eats 1GB of your disk but other than this, and unlike MS Office, doesn't have a negative impact on the system (disable quickstarter autostart in its menue and don't install the database module).

06-01-2008, 03:15 AM   #9

Many thanks for writing this!

I think there is a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for PK as well, which isn't listed.
06-01-2008, 04:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
The original Excel version has Excel page breaks etc. embedded. So its not as easy as open and convert to PDF. You actually have to touch it in OpenOffice (OO). The page breaks become only editable in page-break preview mode. Only after you removed them would OO create a PDF with just 3 pages. So, not that trivial for an OO newbie.

But with OO becoming ever more popular and being stable for large documents, it certainly can't hurt to install it. It eats 1GB of your disk but other than this, and unlike MS Office, doesn't have a negative impact on the system (disable quickstarter autostart in its menue and don't install the database module).
Thread diversion and Apple fanboi warning. I produced the pdf above using Mac OS X. No add ons here, any application will print to pdf. (all hail the mighty Steve Jobs)

Right then, I'll get my hat, won't bother you all again, sorry...
06-01-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Thread diversion and Apple fanboi warning. I produced the pdf above using Mac OS X. No add ons here, any application will print to pdf. (all hail the mighty Steve Jobs)
Yeah but as noted OpenOffice.org produces fine PDFs and does so without commitment to a proprietary OS. Everyone should have it.
06-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I have the tamron 28-300mm and it has macro capability.
06-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Great resoarse. Thank you. Helped me confirm my next lens purchase. [Sigma 70mm-200mm 2.8. / Macro] Was looking at the Bigma 50-500 and decided the 70-200 with a 2x tele converter was a better option for me. Cheers. JIMBO
06-01-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Good job. Sadly the SPLOSDB is getting very out of date, so this is very useful information.

One minor suggestion is to add a column at the first with the lens' "long name". e.g. "SMC P-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited" or "SMC DA *16-50mm F2.8 ED/AL (IF) SDM". I know you have all this information store in the "codes", but it's easier for me to scan down looking for the lens by it's name, rather than the collection of codes and apertures.

Thanks for doing this.
06-01-2008, 12:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
I produced the pdf above using Mac OS X.
Great job done!

BTW, is this why some links point to apple.com rather than to photozone etc.?