Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
Closed Account

Sensor Dust & Small Aperture

I read that small aperture makes sensor dust more apparent in the image. I see this only with my Macro lens when I have the aperture small.

Question though: Does the macro lens also make the sensor dust more visible also ?

Question 2: Is it possible that the dust in the images is from defects in the macro lens ?

See image below. I generally clone and smudge to get rid of the defects:

02-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
I read that small aperture makes sensor dust more apparent in the image. I see this only with my Macro lens when I have the aperture small.

Question though: Does the macro lens also make the sensor dust more visible also ?

Question 2: Is it possible that the dust in the images is from defects in the macro lens ?
1. Nope, any lens will show it fairly equally since its on the sensor.

2. Nope, you wouldn't see any defects if it were in the lens. All it would do is reduce contrast or sharpness a bit. That's just dust on your sensor.
02-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
High f-stop and a smooth background really make sensor dust standout. This may be naturally more common in macro-land than other things you shoot.
02-13-2015, 08:31 AM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
ok, so the macro lens won't do it but small aperture does.

I switched my lens to the Pentax 55-300 and cranked it up to F22 and I see the same dust spots. See 2 images below.

I've used the Rocket Blower many times, but I guess I need a sticky pen to get this dust off.

02-13-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anything changed since last time you asked this question HERE?