Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A matter of principle and 50 1.2 bliss

Just thought I would ask, in order to get some other opinions and see if others would feel jilted, or if I am just being a baby.

Here is the scenario:

1. Major online camera retailer advertises a 50 1.2 "A" version for $536. Condition is this retailers version of Good+. I buy.
2. Lens arrives and is not the "A" version, but rather is the standard SMC version.
3. Lens is in at least Good+ condition and seems to work OK. No mount end cap was included with the lens.

I chose this lens over another standard SMC 50 1.2 offered at a better price by a different major online retailer specifically because the one I did purchase was advertised as an "A." I know $536 would be a good price for an "A" in Good+ condition, I have seen Excellent examples of the "A" lens advertised for well above $600. I am not so sure about the pricing on this standard SMC.

I Emailed the retailer and advised them of the problem. I also offered to retain the lens if they would give me an acceptable credit. I have not heard from them yet.

Question/s

1. The lens I received does seem to be in good shape, solid, and fully functional. Lens barrel is pretty much perfect. No fungus. Very little dust. No scratches or abrasions. Considering that I ordered online, and had no chance to examine the lens- ordering online CAN be a crap shoot- I suppose condition is about as good as I could have hoped for. Should I just be happy, tuck tail, and keep the lens? IOW, is the price of this lens within acceptable range?

2. What is/are the major advantage/s of the "A" version that make it go for a premium of as much as 25%? Is it really a superior lens, or is it just a rarity/availability thing?

I just don't want to be a chump in this deal. It's a cold, snowy day and I feel like talking lenses.

Last edited by tennjed; 02-14-2015 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarity
02-14-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"A" series is easier to use on our modern DSLR's - that may account for some of the price premium.
02-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aperture stops in 1/3 increments instead of 1/2 stops when set to A on aperture ring.
Not needing to use stop down metering
9 verses 8 blades

Build is the same, some might argue in favour of the K but I think they are the same. A good K will be better than an ordinary A but a good A will be better than a good K optically.
02-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
2. What is/are the major advantage/s of the "A" version that make it go for a premium of as much as 25%? Is it really a superior lens, or is it just a rarity/availability thing?
I think the main thing is that you can put the A lens into A on aperture ring, and then the camera is in control of the aperture. So you can choose the aperture on the camera, instead of on the lens. And you can use P, Av mode, with automatic metering and stuff. But if you don't mind using green button for stop down metering and choosing the aperture on the aperture ring, then no worries.
I agree with your plan, though. You should get some money back since they sent you the wrong order. You might have to threaten them to send the lens back and demand full money return and them to cover shipping costs if they don't comply.

02-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not specific to this lens, but about A vs. non-A and spot metering--if you use a replacement split screen (which helps on fast glass).

In this scenario the ability to meter wide open is huge--as it lets you use spot metering w/o a -2 or -3 ev. adjustment (when shooting at f/4 or more closed down).
02-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

$536 is too much based on current values for the K version of this lens. They have to give you at least $100 back, probably more like $150 to be fair. Let us know what they end up doing.
02-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Optically the differences between the two versions are subtle. The point is, the A commands a higher market price than the K. You paid a price that would have been a good deal (especially so considering you purchased from a retailer) for the A version, but that is above market price for the K version, unless this is a truly mint copy. You didn't get a horrible deal, just not a particularly good one. Prices may well be about to rise now that Ricoh/Pentax has finally announced the long-awaited "full frame" DSLR, but that remains to be seen and probably won't happen quickly. If you are willing to live with stop-down metering, suggest a $100 refund. If they don't accept, return it and hold out for a better price on a K copy or a good price on the A.

02-14-2015, 03:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I believe they should refund you $150-$175 bucks ! SMC-A is worth what you paid. But an SMC-K isn't ! Simple as that......and IF you cam put the screws to them....Im sure you used a CC ? Dispute the complete transaction and stick it to them "properly" for lying !
02-14-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Following is from stan's penatx photo site.

> . . . K 50/1.2 vs. the A 50/1.2?
Yoshihiko Takinami - Basically K50/1.2 and A50/1.2 have the same optical design. The only difference is the number of aperture blades; K50/1.2 has eight blades and A50/1.2 has nine blades.
> I suppose A50/1.2 might have better or more advanced coating?
I once have both K50/1.2 and A50/1.2 and tried to compeare the two. I thought differences in the image qualities were so small that I scarcely pointed out which photo was taken by which lens.
The one apparent difference was the description of bright [highlight] in the background. [from a later message . . .] The difference between A50/1.2 and K50/1.2 is the number of aperture blades; A50/1.2 has 9 blades and K50/1.2 has 8 blades. I prefer A50/1.2 to K50/1.2 because the [highlights] in the back-ground is rendered more natural with A50/1.2 than with K50/1.2.
You can see the resolution test results of the two lenses in my web site at <http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/>.
They both are very soft wide open because of flare, IMO. I keep A50/1.2 because its image qualities at f/8 or closer are very excellent and very different from those of 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 lenses. I mean I will hardly use A50/1.4 lens wider than f/5.6.
I prefer 50/1.4 or 50/1.7 lens to A50/1.2 when I use one at f/2 or even at f/4.
02-14-2015, 03:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses folks. This was my first use of this alternate, but well advertised, online retailer- not Amazon- and the whole process felt a bit less smooth than my experience with their competition. Since I have offered it, I guess I will stick with my proposal to them; however, considering the advantages of the A version, and the fact that the lens I received was not as ordered, I will stick to my guns if they balk.

As trivial as it seems, I am probably about as upset about the missing cap as I am about other considerations. I can understand a mistake in lens identification; but sending a $500 or better lens without a cap......It just seems unprofessional.

Thanks for the support. I am one to stay clear of petty disputes, but this one seems to merit a bit of a stiff neck.

Best regards,

Last edited by tennjed; 02-14-2015 at 04:08 PM.
02-14-2015, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own both lenses, and personally I prefer the K version - but that is me. Whichever version of the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 you have, it will serve you well.

SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2
02-14-2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Used lenses are often sold without caps, as retailers tend to sell them in the same condition they acquired them. So that's one more thing to confirm when looking at used lens listings.
02-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by tennjed Quote
What is/are the major advantage/s of the "A" version
One is called my "Special Lady" the other is not.
02-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I own the Pentax K-50mm f1.2 and paid $350 for it. It's in mint condition with perfect glass.
I wanted a strictly all metal manual lens. It's not an easy lens to use wide open but the bokeh is incredible when you nail the focus. It's one of my favorite lenses.
It is just a joy just to hold...very solid and fairly heavy. I never plan on selling it.

Actually you can pick up the 1.4 version for a steal and it's also an incredible lens...I own the 1.2, 1.4 and the 1.7 because the other two were so inexpensive....
k-50mm 1.2 wide open

Last edited by peterjcb; 02-14-2015 at 04:37 PM.
02-14-2015, 04:45 PM   #15

Original Poster
I have been a pretty good boy in life, and am now participating in my only vice......Buying great old manual glass. So far, I have the 200 2.5, 24 3.5, 50 1.7, and have a 50 1.4 Super Takumar, with Pentax adapter, ordered. On the AF side I picked up the 43 1.9. I won't be heartbroken if the seller accommodates me and gives me $100 back for the K 50 1.2.

What I cannot believe is how easy it is to focus through the OVF of the k5IIs. For fun, I focus manually before I half press the shutter; pretty much 90% of the time the focus light confirms I am right, or nearly right, there. In my opinion, pretty much all of the lenses I have purchased have been a steal. This K 50 1.2 seems at least comparable to the Nikon 50 1.2; however, when feel of the focus ring come into consideration, the K is much better than the F.