Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2015, 10:12 PM   #1

piggyback lens adapter solution viable?

Have you ever heard of anybody trying or is there any reason why I should not try using a piggyback combination of a replacement lens mount + lens adapter to mount an old manual focus lens on the K-5?

The reason is I have a 28mm Leica R Elmarit f2.8 lens that I cannibalized a while ago by replacing the original Leica lens mount with a very nice Leica R to Sony Alpha replacement lens mount that took a bit of patience as I am no expert but turned out very well...

until I dumped my Sony and bought a K-5

only to discover afterwards the only way I can mount my Leica R lens on the K-5 is by spending a pretty penny to cannibalise it all over again this time with a Leica R to Pentax K replacement mount.

until I got another bright idea that is why not mount my Leica R lens that already has a replacement Sony-A lens mount via a Kipon or Fotodiox Minolta MD* to Pentax K-mount adapter on my K5, as this would be (a) cheaper, (b) require less surgery than replacing the lens mount again, and (c) enable me to retain the option of using the same lens on a camera with a Sony A-mount if I ever want to do that again too,
But maybe this is not such a bright idea ie unworkable?

Since as I mention earlier I am no expert and new to pentax any advice about the viability of this is most welcome!

p.s. *as you surely know if you have read this far is Minolta MD is same for all practical purposes as Sony A-mount)

Last edited by windhorse; 02-15-2015 at 10:18 PM.
02-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe there are MD --> K-mount adapters. However they will have glass elements in them to correct for the different registration lengths. Which might end up reducing the image quality enough that it is not worth the effort. If the purpose is just to shoot with the Leica, then it should work. But I'm not sure that you would be better getting a native k-mount 28mm such as the Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8.
02-15-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Additionally the glass element lens adapters act like Tele converters so your 28 acts more like a 42mm... and that's before crop factor is applied.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-16-2015 at 06:28 AM.
02-16-2015, 03:37 AM   #4

The Alpha mount is not compatible with the MD (SR) mount. The bayonet is different, the registration is different, the aperture controls are different. That's why I never went up to Minolta autofocus cameras because my MD lenses couldn't be used and I'd have to buy new ones.

You'd have to get the Alpha mount to K mount adapter, which also has an optical element.