Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll expand the thought

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The camera market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they are told they need.
The automobile market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The cell phone market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The housing industry would shrink radically if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The clothing/textile industry would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
Etc.

QuoteQuote:
A common sense consumer is subversive to the interests of the American economic system.
Somewhat agreed, although it's not just 'American', and I wouldn't say that wanting something more than sustenance-level means you don't have common sense.

Anyway, all things considered, FF certainly = common sense for a pro or enthusiast. Doesn't mean the desire for Medium Format is illegitimate!

02-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #152
Veteran Member

The camera market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they are told they need.

A common sense consumer is subversive to the interests of the American economic system.
This is not how we modelize economy. Economy try to see how to fufill people needs in the best possible way. So in one model, you put moneraty value to different camera model so one will not spend all the communities ressources on having the most advenced camera system without giving something of equal value in echange.

It is considered that needs are infinites. Because you can always ask for more. You would like to live for ever, as youg as you were for your 20 years and to eat as much as you want without even feeling bad or becoming fat. You'd want a perfect camera with infinite mega pixels, infinite dynamic range and capacity to always take a perfect shoot... But not too perfect so one can say it is him that made the nice shoot, not the camera.

So if there were no limit we would all have a huge MF camera or better that would manage to follow ourselve automatically without any need for having to support for the weight and size that come with it.

This seems completely foreign isn't it? But you know, not long ago, it was perfectly acceptable even in wealthy familly to have children to share the same bedroom, to live in the same place at a whole familly. Not so long ago, the restrooms would be outside or even a warm bath or a shower was not something so easy and instantaneous as it is today.

Many take theses things for granted, now it is. Like before it was normal to not have your phone with you but at your home or even to use a phone cabin.

We creates new needs all the time and we have no limits.
02-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One view would be that with cameras, it's really not about need, it's about an accessory that people think makes a point about their status in the world. People wear their cameras like other more primitive people wore jewelry. Cameras are bling that happens to take pictures. Accept for the pros, who may have more technical requirements, the rest of us are just showing off.
02-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
We creates new needs all the time and we have no limits.
Infinite growth on a finite planet

---------- Post added 02-26-15 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
The automobile market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The cell phone market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The housing industry would shrink radically if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
The clothing/textile industry would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they want.
Is that an indictment of the buyer or the market?

Last edited by wildman; 02-26-2015 at 05:24 PM.
02-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #155
Veteran Member

Infinite growth on a finite planet
That's why we have the notion of economy. We are not on eden. We must share the resources and not abuse theses too much.

But the limit if not our earth/sun. First wee barely scratch the surface of what we can get from earth. An example if all the energy energy we consume is still a low percentage of the solar energy we get from sun on one side and on the other side, we waste it almost entirely by having by having vehicule that consume more than necessary or house that are not very well isolated. We also not really optimized, many living far away from their job.

Make no mistake life has been there from quite some time, and it has been for a long time that all living beings use their environement as much as they can. This is written at the root of life, because of reproduction. Look how there plant everywhere and look how if you let somefood anywhere on earth it is soon rot and used by the micro organism that are prevent really all over there, much more present than we are ourselves. If each we manage consume half of we do today, will not be long until we will 2 time more numerous and we are back to initial state where we consume all we can.

Current hypothesis is that space is infinite with many stars and planets everywhere, if we think in terms of physics, what ever we use, it is nothing compared to the ressources at our disposal. We just need to understand how to do so.

Ecology is another aspect and I agree we should be carefull we don't destroy ourselves by consuming what we have in a dangerous way. But this is just a small factor it would just limit a bit our efficiancy, this doesn't change much the state of affairs of a finite number of human in an infinite universe.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 02-27-2015 at 12:59 AM.
02-28-2015, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #156

These threads make me want to stick needles in my eyes. So incredibly pointless. You can argue all you want about how your FF is the holy grail, only to be thwarted by 645.

All this stupid "apsc must be converted to ff terms, or I will feel sad because my system is obviously superior" it is everywhere! Every single video on YouTube regarding photography.
02-28-2015, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CNunez Quote
These threads make me want to stick needles in my eyes. So incredibly pointless. You can argue all you want about how your FF is the holy grail, only to be thwarted by 645.

All this stupid "apsc must be converted to ff terms, or I will feel sad because my system is obviously superior" it is everywhere! Every single video on YouTube regarding photography.
Don't watch those videos, they are so factually wrong they cannot possibly be of benefit to you. The only possible exception being videos that show you the features of your camera. I've come to the conclusion, everyone who talks about equivalence, different formats, total light etc, on the internet are certifiable liars. Really, much of what they post is so wrong they should be sued.

02-28-2015, 10:34 AM   #158
Pentaxian

The camera market would collapse within a year if people started to buy what they need rather then buying what they are told they need. A common sense consumer is subversive to the interests of the American economic system.
But. . . I use a 34 year old K1000 and an almost ten year old Samsung GX-10. And most of my lenses are forty or fifty year old Takumars. You mean I'm subverting the American economic system?

Oh well, after growing up in New York and Arizona I live in England these days. . .
02-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One view would be that with cameras, it's really not about need, it's about an accessory that people think makes a point about their status in the world. People wear their cameras like other more primitive people wore jewelry. Cameras are bling that happens to take pictures. Accept for the pros, who may have more technical requirements, the rest of us are just showing off.
Leica would be long gone otherwise. I admit I always enjoyed displaying my M6 for those who knew what it is. Ego rules always
02-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
You mean I'm subverting the American economic system?
To the extent that your buying habits depresses the new camera market - yes.