Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2015, 12:22 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

M*300 not focusing to infinity

I just received a Pentax SMC M*300 lens. It seems fine except the the focus ring will not turn beyond the 40m mark. It moves smoothly below that point. Any ideas of if this can be fixed? I really do not want to return it but it is not usable like this. Thanks for any help.

02-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Any ideas of if this can be fixed? I really do not want to return it but it is not usable like this. Thanks for any help.
It depends on what is causing the problem. If the inner workings of the focus helicoid are fractured, the lens is toast. If it is just a matter of lack of lubrication or botched service attempt, there may be hope.

Steve
02-18-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any idea how I can test it? The stop is pretty firm and unyielding.

Last edited by Mikesul; 02-18-2015 at 02:54 PM.
02-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Any idea how I can test it? The stop is pretty firm and unyielding.
Does it turn past the near focus mark in the near direction? If so, a previous owner may have modified to allow closer focus.

Steve

02-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had to go back to work after the first message but have now mounted it on the camera again and this time it turned smoothly to just past the infinity mount. However, continued use caused it to bind briefly a couple of times. Most of the time it moves smoothly but I am a bit concerned. I am hopeful that it turns out to be a piece of grit which works itself out. I am very appreciative of the advice offered so far.
02-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update. I was able to about 40 pictures after it started working again but now it is stuck on the near focus end. The seller has agreed to take it back do I guess that is what I must do unless someone suggests a fix by morning.
02-18-2015, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The fix would be to open up the lens and see if it can be repaired. Best guess is either grit in
the helical or a loose internal screw that is causing something to bind.

Do you have confidence in opening the lens yourself? The M*300mm is not in the repair database,
however M series primes are not overly complicated and I'm sure you could manage a repair
using the other examples at a guide. If you do decide to keep the lens, or have someone else
repair it, be sure to get a healthy refund from the seller.

02-18-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The M*300 is quite different in construction to the shorter focal length M series. The guides I have seen online generally relate to a M 50mm. From my own experience the M 20, 28, and 35 follow the M 50 construction and you can follow the 50mm guides. The M 85 may be the same but I haven't taken a screwdriver to it. The longer M's have a different construction, particularly getting in from the front of the lens, and the M*300 has internal focus as well which other M's don't. I suggest the guides for short lenses will not help that much with the M*300 and you would pretty well be on your own voyage of discovery. Stuff it up and it would be hard to get your refund from the vendor. If you accept the challenge and find a failing/worn component is causing the issue, you won't find a replacement part either.

I'd be inclined to ship it back and try again with another lens. They do pop up from time to time.

Damn sharp glass if you get a good one and use it well.