Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2018, 07:48 PM - 2 Likes   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wow, my words from the deep past. Had to do a bit of googling and playing around with lenses,
Found this page with some equations and a bit of high school algebra,
With crop sensor, APSc format, cover a 20x24 field of view at:
The 35mm about 3-feet
A 50mm about 4.2-ft
and 100 takes about 8.5-ft
I'd use the longest lens you can given the space and the art size. It's easier to be square to the work when you are back further from it. Also, you need some space to get your lights in without casting shadows from your camera on the art. If doing it occasionally, I'd play with a zoom lens, if you're serious, and doing this often, or need great results for reproduction or enlargements, I'd go with a good prime, likely a macro, for flatter field, and less drop off in the corners,

Let us know how it works out for you

12-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
Wow, my words from the deep past. Had to do a bit of googling and playing around with lenses,
Found this page with some equations and a bit of high school algebra,
With crop sensor, APSc format, cover a 20x24 field of view at:
The 35mm about 3-feet
A 50mm about 4.2-ft
and 100 takes about 8.5-ft
I'd use the longest lens you can given the space and the art size. It's easier to be square to the work when you are back further from it. Also, you need some space to get your lights in without casting shadows from your camera on the art. If doing it occasionally, I'd play with a zoom lens, if you're serious, and doing this often, or need great results for reproduction or enlargements, I'd go with a good prime, likely a macro, for flatter field, and less drop off in the corners,

Let us know how it works out for you
A long lens will also cause less spatial distortion, as the edges of the artwork will be approximately the same distance from the lens optical center as the center of the artwork.
12-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #33
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by TAP Quote
Best Lens for Photographing Artwork?
Another +1 for a macro lens, in my case I'd recommend the “Femme Fatale” (Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro).
12-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Another +1 for a macro lens, in my case I'd recommend the “Femme Fatale” (Pentax-A 50mm F2.8 Macro).
The A50/2.8 is a fine lens.

12-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #35
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
The A50/2.8 is a fine lens.
Indeed she is.
12-27-2018, 08:37 PM   #36

Sorry it took so long to thank everyone for the replies, I was having trouble getting signed back in and then, Christmas.

The angle wizard link was really helpful, and combined with the remnants of my geometry from memory, has me confident that I can go ahead with a 100mm macro in the space I have. I did want the long lens to minimize any distortion because I also want to play with stitching to attain some really high-res results, and so the edges become especially important. (Here’s to hoping someone has some optimized software for stitching a matrix of close-ups into the larger image; if I have to do that manually in Photoshop it’s probably a deal-beaker. &#128556

Again, thanks to all for the advice!
12-29-2018, 08:03 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramatsu Quote
I also want to play with stitching
for stitching you want to overlap each frame by 1/4 to 1/3, if done right, your edges should not be that big of a factor.
I've done it with the routines in Photoshop Elements, and it does it well if you give it enough overlap to work with.