Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 12:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samyang 12mm Fisheye lens

Am I the only one that is excited about this lens coming to the K-mount.
FF and APS-C compatible and according to various reviews for different mounts it looks like a great lens.
Been lusting after a FE for a long time and with the FF release on the horizon I for one think it will be a great lens to add to your lens collection.

02-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Am I the only one that is excited about this lens coming to the K-mount.
You're not the only one. This will be my next lens, for sure!
The DA 10-17 is usable on full frame from 15 to 17 mm but I find the image quality to be somewhat lacking on my 24 MPix Sony A7. The new Samyang lens features stereographic mapping, which is a superior fisheye projection (see the Lenstip review to learn more about the different mapping functions used for fisheyes). Image quality also seems very, very good:

Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 Full-Frame Fisheye Lens Review | An Urbex & Extreme Adventure Photography Lens

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-19-2015, 04:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

the "old" 8mm fish eye gets very good reviews too.
02-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
the "old" 8mm fish eye gets very good reviews too.
It's a similar lens as the 12mm fisheye but for crop format whereas the 12mm is designed for full-frame.

Cheers!

Abbazz

02-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
Yos
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I am so excited about this lens.
Will most likely keep my K-3 as a back up to the upcoming FF so it will be great to be able to use the lens on both cameras
02-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
You're not the only one. This will be my next lens, for sure!

I'm wondering if you've bought this lens and could share some experiences with us. Thx.
02-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm looking forward to this lens as well.

02-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that it is a near-stereoscopic projection that mimics the 8mm version, essentially providing the same FoV for FF as the 8mm for crop. So, it should be more popular once the FF comes out, but isn't a logical buy for current Pentax bodies.

This is much like the comparison of the very fine Sigma 12-24 that was made available for Pentax cameras despite its FF capabilities (and proved unpopular for obvious reasons at the time); the lens is very much a big sister to the 8-16 crop version that has proven highly popular for Pentax bodies. The 12-24 will be a unique opportunity in FF, though.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 02-02-2016 at 05:46 PM.
02-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like this lens has a fixed hood, sigh.

Same problem as the original version of their 8mm lens. I had to shave the hood so I could use it on both my Pentax and Canon body.

I will wait for the version with the removable hood.
02-05-2016, 08:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Looks like this lens has a fixed hood, sigh.

Same problem as the original version of their 8mm lens. I had to shave the hood so I could use it on both my Pentax and Canon body.

I will wait for the version with the removable hood.
Almost no chance of a removable hood on that lens. No one will be adapting to medium format, so the little hood is best kept in place. Nothing would be gained by removing the hood, other than a very slight gain in bag space. I suspect, though, that you would have nowhere to attach the lens cover without the hood, and carrying the lens with no protection for the bulbous front element strikes me as foolish.
02-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I saw this lens some days ago at a local store. But I was strong this time .

So far I'm fine with my 10-17 (and I also have an old 17-28).

Anyway the question is what would be better choice for K-1. This lens or Sigma 15mm, which comes with AF (not that AF for this focal length is something essential)?
02-06-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I'm wondering if you've bought this lens and could share some experiences with us. Thx.
No, I dindn't buy it. I read a few bad reviews about the Samyang/Rokinon 12mm fisheye (apparently there is a quality control issue, as for many Samyang lenses), so I ended up buying a Sigma 15/2.8 fisheye instead. Optically speaking, it's a bit better than both the DA 10-17 and the F 17-28 Pentax fisheyes but it's also bigger and heavier... In fact, I prefer the flexibility of the zooms, so I use the Pentax fisheyes more, and particularly the 17-28 on full-frame because it cover the 24x36 field over its whole range and also because it has a real aperture ring (the DA 10-17 aperture is supposed to be controlled by the body, which is very inconvenient on the Sony A7).

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Flickr group pool for each candidate below.

Samyang 12mm - https://www.flickr.com/groups/2795323@N22/pool/
Sigma 15mm - https://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma15mm/pool/

IMHO this duel is tough.