Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
DA* 200 and 300 are formally labeled "Not compatible with full-frame"

Just saw BH labeled both lenses "WARNING: Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras".
Does it mean due to the in body SR, these two lenses are officially labeled as full frame not compatible, even though they work well on film cameras?
If true, I wonder if other FA lenses, or even the earlier DFA lenses are full-frame compatible? Say, FA 200/2.8 and FA 300/4.5?
FA 31 is probably fine, since it is mounted on the prototype camera.
Many will be very disappointed if FA lenses are not compatible.

02-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #2
Imp
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that warning label is just generic of BandH since they are aps-c lenses
02-19-2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess how many here will install those two lenses on their Pentax FF anyway !
If I ever bought the FF camera, and I own a DA*300/4, would you think that I would not try it ?
02-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I hope so.
But all other obvious APC only lensesm such as 60-250, 50-135 do not have such "warning"...
Pentax Zoom Telephoto 60-250mm f/4 ED DA* SDM Autofocus 21750

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 08:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Guess how many here will install those two lenses on their Pentax FF anyway !
If I ever bought the FF camera, and I own a DA*300/4, would you think that I would not try it ?
Well, I have high hope for DA 200 and 300, although I am not sure when will I have a chance to own an FF pentax camera. It was said the optical design of these two lenses were similar to FAs.

02-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Does it mean due to the in body SR, these two lenses are officially labeled as full frame not compatible, even though they work well on film cameras?
The film camera compatibility is anecdotal based on user reviews. Falconeye's compatibility thread includes a "?" for the DA* 200 and rates the DA* 300 at only "++" meaning that there is obvious corner degradation. Until Ricoh redesignates both as D FA, I would take the B&H warning at face value as being accurate and not invest in those lenses for FF use.

The legacy FA lenses are compatible by definition unless Ricoh defines a new mount specification for the FF camera.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-19-2015 at 07:52 PM.
02-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Just saw BH labeled both lenses "WARNING: Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras".
If true, I wonder if other FA lenses, or even the earlier DFA lenses are full-frame compatible? Say, FA 200/2.8 and FA 300/4.5?
The DA*200 is in fact a FF lens as it is an updated FA*200/2.8

The DA*300 has been shown to work fine on FF cameras too I believe.
02-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The DA*200 is in fact a FF lens as it is an updated FA*200/2.8

The DA*300 has been shown to work fine on FF cameras too I believe.

Both work well on film cameras or FF cameras with adapters. But these cameras do not have shake reduction as pentax FF camera, which might require bigger image.
That is why I wonder if that means some FA lenses are not compatible also.
BTW, the recent two lenses are huge!
02-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is just a generic label B&H applies to APS-C lenses. It has no Pentax-specific implications. I would expect both the 200 and 300mm to work just fine on FF.

I guess we'll have to wait and see about the effect of SR, but I doubt that it will be very big in practice.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-19-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Great! That is what I want to hear :-)
02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I wouldn't call that "formally" labeled. That warning has been at BH ever since they started carrying those lenses.
02-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes this is B&H saying NO THIS LENS WILL NOT WORK, but we DO have many good lenses you can buy that will, and why don't you give us these useless DA* lenses so we can dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way........
02-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
so we can dispose of them in an environmentally friendly way........

free of charge? You are so generous!

---------- Post added 02-19-15 at 09:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That warning has been at BH ever since they started carrying those lenses.
I never noticed that. I wonder why only few of these, that are likely compatible, have such labels. Other lenses such as 17-70, 50-135, 16-50, 21, 15.. don't have such label.
02-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

so while people are freaked out about the possibility of having to crop a small portion off their pictures and systematically dump their apsc lenses, maybe us sensible folks can cash in and score some cheap lenses!

keep these posts going please.
02-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxJax Quote
Yes this is B&H saying
That may sound harsh but having spent large sums buying from B&H, they have good deals, BUT I have had nothing but problems with the smaller dollar items. $2K home projector....no problem $30 gloves for Christmas that don't fit.....on your own. In the end its not were you get it, its who supports it. I don't feel any more support from B&H than an ebay purchase. At least PayPal have my back in a dispute with EBay. YMMV
02-19-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Site Supporter

I never noticed that. I wonder why only few of these, that are likely compatible, have such labels. Other lenses such as 17-70, 50-135, 16-50, 21, 15.. don't have such label.
That is something that has been debated in the past in various ways. But without a ff body other than film to try them on, it has been moot. The lack the rear aperture ring so it makes it only feasible to use certain af film bodies.