Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

Static-Blasted FA 80-320

Good afternoon folks. I was wondering if anyone might know of someone who might have the parts to repair this lens. The issue is, in short, it was zapped by a static discharge...the internal IC is dead. The circumstances were quite straight forward: The location was a ski resort. The weather was extremely cold and we were in the unheated foyer area (where folks dust the snow off before coming in). I had just taken a number of shots, with everything working perfectly. I wanted to switch to a wide angle so I had my son hold this lens while I used the other. After we got back inside I decided to take some more shots from the observatory balcony so I took off the wide angel (fortunately I just put it in my pocket) and asked my son to hand over the 80-320. When the lens touched my fingers I got one-heck of a zap. Neither the AF nor the AI ever worked again. After it happened I spoke to a few of the well known shops about the problem, but none held out much hope. When this happened, back in 2007, this lens had been out of production for only five years. According to the techs I spoke to at the time, the IC assembly (the flex-circuit board, switch, IC assembly) was already out of stock then. At this point I think the only solution is a donor lens (with bad glass or other non-electrical damage). Does anyone know of a shop that does this sort of thing? Needless to say, the folks at Ricoh didn't so much as make a suggestion.

02-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear about the lens! I'm not sure if any Pentax service centers would be willing or able to service the lens, even with a donor lens. It probably wouldn't be worth the money, either, with used prices of the lens currently hovering around $100. I would either just replace the lens, or swap it for one of the newer (and sharper) 55-300mm's.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are 11 of those on ebay this morning with prices ranging from $80 to $150. One BNIB for $85. I have to believe, even if you could find parts, that a repair center would charge more then that just to look into it.

I agree with Adam, either toss it out and get a replacement or look into a newer and better lens like the 55-300. And since it has not worked since 2007, why worry about it now? Just curious
02-21-2015, 03:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one in the same condition with unknown cause. The failure you have is not uncommon from what I have read. I did a shoot out of my lenses covering this range FA 80-320; DA 55-300; DA* 60-250; DA* 50-135 including using the HD TC on the DA* 50-135 and DA* 60-250.

The conclusion you should be interested in is that there was nothing the 80-320 did that the 55-300 didn't do as well or better.

02-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
Then the general consensus is to pitch it. It still works on the any of my three cameras...just no AI or AF. At my age, I need the AF. What a shame. It just doesn't look like trash:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
02-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Im_leary Quote
Then the general consensus is to pitch it. It still works on the any of my three cameras...just no AI or AF. At my age, I need the AF. What a shame. It just doesn't look like trash:
I know how you feel. I have one and I'm sentimental about it. I can't bear to toss mine. Maybe if you keep it one day an optically ragged one will show up and you can do a guts transfer to fix it. I honestly wish mine still worked. I hate having it broken but like yours mine is in good shape and hard to toss in the trash.

---------- Post added 02-21-15 at 05:34 PM ----------

I will tell you this. The purple fringing on that lens is a bear from what I saw. It isn't nearly the lens the 55-300 is - grab a DAL one for cheap and move on if you can... .
02-22-2015, 05:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you really are sentimantal about this lens, try to look out for a dropped or damaged lens for parts.

Seb.

02-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I hope you are joking about pitching. Offer it free to a good home. There may be some financially strapped Pentaxian out there that could use it as is.
02-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Even if it was not 'zapped', this lens model suffers from disconnecting A contacts (which leads to the same symptoms).
The internal support is made of the wrong plastics, which break over time.
02-22-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
Even if it was not 'zapped', this lens model suffers from disconnecting A contacts (which leads to the same symptoms).
The internal support is made of the wrong plastics, which break over time.
That is what I think happened to mine.
02-22-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That is what I think happened to mine.
If you want to know what and how to fix it : here (warning, it is in dutch, but pictures are international)