Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The much maligned and forgotten FA* 28-70 f2.8...

A FABULOUS portrait lens on APSC, being the equivalent of a 42-105...handheld, available light...

This lens gets no love for some reason. I love mine.

Cheers,
Cameron

04-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #77
Veteran Member

28mm on the wide part is a bit limiting on APSC as a walkaround lense... This is can work well for events and would be more interresting when the FF is available... But in both case starting at 24mm would be an asset.

By no mean this mean the lense is bad, just it doesn't match the latest trends and if one is after a cheap opportunity, the tamron 28-75 is a real competitor.
04-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
A FABULOUS portrait lens on APSC, being the equivalent of a 42-105...handheld, available light...
Great shot! I haven't really heard anything about that lens. I'll look it up.

---------- Post added 04-08-15 at 08:35 PM ----------

I found your other shots just as good on your Lens review Cambo. Nicely done. What/where is that giant rock statue? The lens seems to be a bit of a love / hate type... based on the reviews. You're mileage seems different.
04-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks...

That's the Inukshuk, in Vancouver's West End, by English Bay. And people that hate this lens are just stupid, or don't know what they're doing. I have made a lot of money with this lens. And yes, the focal length is not great for a walk around lens, (would you really want something THIS HEAVY to walk around with? I take my 18-55 II for that - it weighs nothing), but in the studio, for portraits; I use it more than my FA* 85 f1.4, which is a GREAT and truly amazing lens, but is just too long, IMHO. I often can't get back far enough with that lens, or miss focus is I'm below about f4/5.6. The 28-70 RARELY fails me. And optically, it kills. And this is on a K5, with the Anti-aliasing filter on stun; I can just imagine what I'd get on a camera without one (soon).

It's big, and heavy, and the front element turns during focussing, and the hood is a little awkward, and it has a little play in the mechanism, but none of that matter when you see the pictures. GREAT portrait lens.

And people sell them off TOO CHEAP, IMHO.

Cheers,
Cameron

04-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well if we're going to toss cheap (and I do mean cheap) portrait zooms into the ring....

F35-70mm. These can be had for around $30-$40 (or less) if you look wisely. I had someone on here suggest one and the price was cheap enough I was "Why the heck not?"