Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 35 Likes Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 04:01 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's a difference between a discussions on the ethics of such a transaction, and the outright rudeness of at least one Member here, who's known for stepping across into self-righteous condemnation at the drop of a hat. Most of the comments thankfully have fallen into the former category, so I wouldn't call them "moralising". Like anyone else, you can take the discussion on board and consider it, or dismiss it, because there's nothing illegal that's been done, not even anything against the code this Forum operates under. If this is the bargain it seems to be, then good luck to you, because I paid a lot more for my A50/1.2. One thing I will add to the conversation is that I doubt anyone here has any idea what you do with the rest of your life, and judging someone you don't really know on the basis of one reported act, even a self-reported one, isn't a very adult thing to do.

02-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
On a whim, I checked the Craig's List in my home town where I grew up in California before I moved to Idaho almost 20 years ago. I saw an ad that said, "Lenses for Pentax. $50.00" I called and the owner told me that they used to belong to his recently deceased father and all were in factory hard leather cases. He knew nothing about lenses and cameras, so I had him read off the info on the front of the lenses. They were: Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm ser. # 28xxxxx, a SMC Pentax-A 50mm, f: 1.2 and a SMC Pentax-A 28mm, f:2. I said, "So, you're asking $50.00 for all of them?" He said, "Just make me an offer, I'm moving Tuesday and I need to get rid of them." I offered him $35.00 and he said, "Sold!"

My friend who lives about 15 miles from him is going over at 10:00 a.m. tomorrow and picking them up and shipping them to me.

I'm speechless!
Dewman....let us know how it works out.....I hope its what its hoped to be...Keeping my fingers crossed for Ya !
02-23-2015, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Would it make some of you feel any better knowing that the seller lived in a gated community, in a very palatial home with a Lincoln Navigator and a Cadillac Escalade in the driveway? True story. I slept very well last night, knowing that I made a very good deal, paying a very small sum for three lenses that I will put to good use. And, I will think of the seller's departed father EVERY time I use them and hope that he rests in peace, knowing that his beloved Pentax lenses are being well cared for and used as he would have liked. Quite frankly, I'm very dismayed at the personal attack on me by some of you. You have made assumptions about me and my character that are totally baseless. You don't know me. You don't know my financial situation. You don't know what's in my heart and yet feel free to denigrate and disparage me to no end. Shame on you.
02-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Would it make some of you feel any better knowing that the seller lived in a gated community, in a very palatial home with a Lincoln Navigator and a Cadillac Escalade in the driveway? True story. I slept very well last night, knowing that I made a very good deal, paying a very small sum for three lenses that I will put to good use. And, I will think of the seller's departed father EVERY time I use them and hope that he rests in peace, knowing that his beloved Pentax lenses are being well cared for and used as he would have liked. Quite frankly, I'm very dismayed at the personal attack on me by some of you. You have made assumptions about me and my character that are totally baseless. You don't know me. You don't know my financial situation. You don't know what's in my heart and yet feel free to denigrate and disparage me to no end. Shame on you.
To me, it seems like the seller didn't give a damn about trying to squeeze an extra few hundred dollars from some old stuff lying around. In fact, it seems like he was knowingly passing off some value to the buyer. Navigator, Escalade, and a big house in a gated community? Lol, he probably would lose more money spending the time to research the proper value of the lenses and then try and sell them for full market value.

Congrats on the acquisition! Don't worry about the high-and-mighty haters who would never pounce on a deal such as the one you got. That just means less competition for the used lenses out there.

02-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Amen to that......don't even bother to defend yourself against idiots as there is no need to. Recently I was at an estate sale looking at some Gold prospecting equipment....about $1000 worth. The price was really low , but the people needed everything gone NOW ! In the end they gave it to me just to haul it away. I don't believe in Karma......but if I did.....maybe this is good karma coming YOUR way ?
BTW.....were you worried when I said I was headed there to get them for $100 bucks ?.....lol.
Posting some pics of the lenses would be the proper thing to do to finish this thread off properly.
02-23-2015, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

Would it make some of you feel any better knowing that the seller lived in a gated community, in a very palatial home with a Lincoln Navigator and a Cadillac Escalade in the driveway? True story. I slept very well last night, knowing that I made a very good deal, paying a very small sum for three lenses that I will put to good use.
So, have you gotten a written apology yet from dcshooter, rawr and Des for their obvious misguided assumptions? Let us know LOL.
02-23-2015, 04:35 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trust me, Driline .... I didn't lose any sleep over it. I just considered the source. There's those of their ilk on every web site I've ever visited. It was only a matter of time until they showed their true colors. They're the ones who were bullied on the school ground and were always sitting alone, looking around to see what dregs were left at "last call for alcohol." They're a dime a dozen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
So, have you gotten a written apology yet from dcshooter, rawr and Des for their obvious misguided assumptions? Let us know LOL.

---------- Post added 02-23-15 at 04:48 PM ----------

I feel no need to "defend myself" against those scalawags.... I just thought it was an interesting footnote to the story. Great score on the gold prospecting equipment. I've made several cradles over the years, albeit with little success in their actual use. They work just fine.... it's simply a matter of finding the right material to run through them!

Karma.... an interesting concept. I try to live as if everything I do will have it's consequences. Finding a good deal on Craig's List has never been part of that thought process.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
Amen to that......don't even bother to defend yourself against idiots as there is no need to. Recently I was at an estate sale looking at some Gold prospecting equipment....about $1000 worth. The price was really low , but the people needed everything gone NOW ! In the end they gave it to me just to haul it away. I don't believe in Karma......but if I did.....maybe this is good karma coming YOUR way ?
BTW.....were you worried when I said I was headed there to get them for $100 bucks ?.....lol.
Posting some pics of the lenses would be the proper thing to do to finish this thread off properly.

Last edited by Ash; 02-23-2015 at 06:10 PM.
02-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #38
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good fortune to those who score a good deal on good gear. Everyone can now calm down and stick to the discussion at hand rather than sling mud at each other. Thank you.
02-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

A lady in my town a few years ago had "pentax lenses" listed for $1. I went over to see them, and they were nice, if nothing too outrageous, including a K 35/3.5. I said "really just a dollar?" and she said "Yep". I said since they were nice and I'd be able to use them I could give her more, so I gave her a twenty. She looked at me extremely suspiciously and was much less friendly when I left. Weird.
02-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

looking around to see what dregs were left at "last call for alcohol."
Hey now...that's how I met my last 6 wives! LMAO
02-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #41
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
What for? If you read my posts you will see that I said explicitly I wasn't being critical of Dewman. I spoke only about how I would feel personally in similar circumstances. I also addressed the question about whether it would make any difference that the seller was rich. I said that, to me, it wouldn't (aside from the fact that, like Dewman, I probably would not know when I first contacted the seller).

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There's a difference between a discussions on the ethics of such a transaction, and the outright rudeness of at least one Member here, who's known for stepping across into self-righteous condemnation at the drop of a hat. Most of the comments thankfully have fallen into the former category, so I wouldn't call them "moralising".
I agree. I think the personal attacks on any side are deplorable. So far in this thread I've been called (directly or by implication) self-righteous, high-and-mighty, a pharisee (since removed), a scallywag and an idiot.

Quite frankly, I'm very dismayed at the personal attack on me by some of you. You have made assumptions about me and my character that are totally baseless. You don't know me. You don't know my financial situation. You don't know what's in my heart and yet feel free to denigrate and disparage me to no end. Shame on you.
Personal attacks usually say more about the attacker than the attackee (whose character, as Dewman rightly points out, is usually unknown to the attacker). Which is why I think that the free character analysis in post#39 is particularly unworthy of such a long-standing and valued contributor to this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Everyone can now calm down and stick to the discussion at hand rather than sling mud at each other. Thank you.
If you mean the ethical discussion, I think it's too late now.

Last edited by Des; 02-23-2015 at 11:28 PM.
02-24-2015, 01:42 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Ethics beside, was it a f1.2 or just a f2 with a bit of the colon rubbed off ?

Counting the ridges on the focus rubber grip is the best way to tell over the phone or from a fuzzy eBay picture ...
02-24-2015, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #43
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK all, I think we're done here. This thread has worn out its welcome.
Closed Thread