Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meyer-Optik / Pentacon M42 lenses

I'd ask for some advices concerning these lenses:

- Meyer-Optik Görlitz Orestegor 200/4
- Pentacon 200/4

- Meyer-Optik Orestor 135/2.8 (sometimes mentioned as Orestegor ???)
- Pentacon 135/2.8

Is there any general difference between the Meyer-Optik and Pentacon versions?
Which of them should I get? What would be a reasonable price?

02-23-2015, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The Meyers were probably better built (and have the Zebra look), or at least more consistent, but they are also older so maybe more chance of a problem anyway. Optically good copies will be the same. I have the 200 as a Meyer and the 135 as a Pentacon. The Pentacon "auto" versions are quite different with the aperture only having 6 blades or so. I prefer the presets with their 10+ blades and round apertures.

There is an issue with the mounting of them you should be aware of -- they have no "base" at the mount. It tapers in so there is nothing to create any friction with the camera body when mounted on a m42 adapter without an external flange (i.e. when used with an adapter that allows infinity focus). So this means the lens will have some rotational wobble if you use the genuine Pentax adapter, or if you use a third party one with the spring removed you'll get light leaks. I solved this problem with big rubber washers around the base.

See my posts in this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/216718-m...s-turning.html
02-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took the mounts off my 200mm and 300mm down to the local engineering shop and got them to turn it down 0.8mm - the thickness of a good flanged M42 adapter. See my post here

02-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So I bought both 200 and 135 mm Pentacon in the preset version today.

Do you guys cover the camera contacts somehow when having the M42 lenses mounted? Isn't it dangerous to have the contacts exposed?
02-27-2015, 11:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
So I bought both 200 and 135 mm Pentacon in the preset version today.

Do you guys cover the camera contacts somehow when having the M42 lenses mounted? Isn't it dangerous to have the contacts exposed?
See the link to the thread I posted above. If you use an "infinity" type m42 adapter with no flange, you'll probably get a light leak anyway, so yes you'll have to figure out a way to do that. (I use big rubber washers)
02-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
See the link to the thread I posted above. If you use an "infinity" type m42 adapter with no flange, you'll probably get a light leak anyway, so yes you'll have to figure out a way to do that. (I use big rubber washers)
Please, can you post here a picture with a mounted lens with this big rubber washers? Or an external link? What dimensions has the rubber washer?
02-27-2015, 02:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
some very first shots

Pentacon 135 mm f2.8 preset (15 blades)

Pentacon 200 mm f4 preset (15 blades)

02-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
Please, can you post here a picture with a mounted lens with this big rubber washers? Or an external link? What dimensions has the rubber washer?
I did in the other thread. See here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/216718-m...s-turning.html
02-28-2015, 12:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Thanks. I think I will try this on my Meyer/Pentacon lenses.
What size are washers, approximately? I found on the internet order 57mm O/D x 42mm I/D x 3mm Thk. I wonder are they ok?
Were there rubber tracks left on the camera mount?
02-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Mine look to be about 60mm OD, 38mm ID, 3mm thick. They are just what I grabbed at the local hardware store. The ones I've used do not go on easily -- I have to stretch them because the inner hole is small and then I screw on the m42 adapter which holds it in place. (Being small is good, it keeps it tight.) Then the washer ends up sideways, inner edge down, half jammed against the adapter and half free to create a bit of base for the lens. There is nothing permanent about it, and if it can be flipped right off (but if it has been on there a while it cannot be put back because it is all stretched out). I should probably wrap something else around it to keep it secure, but it is solid if you don't touch push down on it (from front to mount). The m42 adapters have had their springs removed, so they mount to the camera with a bayonet friction fit. Seems to work fine -- it fits just inside the contacts and lens lock button on the camera mount (those are still exposed) so it is only rubbing on the bare metal of the mount.