Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly useful to 'clean up' and publish a comprehensive set of instructions. Perhaps an interactive matrix / table of lenses vs. bodies as well.

But one of the goals should be permission to delete all prior posts and references from the site once proven procedures are validated or the old, ineffective posts will continue to plague us in the future.

10-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's part 1 of a video series on using the K100D for conversion I am working on:

No time available today to finish it but essentially next step is file editing and the loading the file back to the lens.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-06-2016 at 01:15 PM.
10-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is hard to find - I just want to link it here to be sure I don't lose it.

These are the modset or similar files needed to enable debug mode on various cameras:

Dropbox - enable Debug Menu

Linked from this post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post3492132
10-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Just wanted to add a note that my K100d wouldn't allow me to write the lens EEPROM to the SD card for some very strange reason. Luckily I was fine to do the conversion in-body and it worked well.

03-16-2020, 08:23 PM   #50
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Recently I tried to help a couple of folks in their quest to get a failing SDM lens "demoted" to screw drive. The problem is that everyone always points to a thread or two that contain a lot but not all of the info needed. I would love to compile in ONE place all the info needed. Ideally I would get someone to volunteer to write or help write an article for the site that took all of the different materials and united it in one place.

Here's what I think is needed:

1) Which cameras can be used for the conversion - including BIOS versions!
a) with SD card method
b) with PKTether method

2) Which lens modes are KNOWN to have been successfully converted?
a) 16-50 & 50-135 are well known to work
b) 60-250 is mentioned as tried but failed a few times but doesn't seem conclusive
c) any others?

3) What doesn't work:
a) bodies that don't
b) bios versions that don't
c) lenses that don't seem to work with the process yet

Sample files. Links to various threads for additional discussion etc.

As an example, everyone thinks the K100D Super works a certain way but today I tried what was failing for another user and could not get any further. The problem is that while enabling the K100D Super for basic AF adjustment debug works, the method listed out there for starting the debug menu doesn't appear to work at all. The keystroke / button press options of the K100D also do not work. The K50 can be set in debug but despite being able to write logs to disk and DSP adjustments to disk I cannot get lens roms to write to SD card.

The point is rather than read a giant thread that's years old and get sidetracked finding the bios version is wrong or the camera model is wrong or xyz is wrong it would be nice to have this all collected and summarized.

Any thoughts welcome - links and contributions welcome but please read what has been collected before reposting the same info.

LINKS:
16-50, 50-135 disable thread. Focused on K20D I think or K10D with older firmware: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post2203064

Mass confusion over what bodies can and can't disable as shown by this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/241761-chea...m-disable.html

Frustration threads like this showing that people don't know what works and doesn't work: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/288713-has-anyone-been-abl...ing-k-3-a.html
I'm trying to convert (revert?) my 50-135 lens to screw drive, but pkteather doesn't seem to know that camera is plugged into the computer. The camera knows (K-3) as it shows PC on the LCD screen. I'm wondering if I'm plugged into the wrong place on my camera. I'm plugged into the USB (the one with the funny looking trident symbol) port. Is that correct? My PSs OS is Windows 10.
03-17-2020, 05:07 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
I'm trying to convert (revert?) my 50-135 lens to screw drive, but pkteather doesn't seem to know that camera is plugged into the computer. The camera knows (K-3) as it shows PC on the LCD screen. I'm wondering if I'm plugged into the wrong place on my camera. I'm plugged into the USB (the one with the funny looking trident symbol) port. Is that correct? My PSs OS is Windows 10.
As far as I know the k-3 cannot convert lenses.
03-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #52
BWG
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As far as I know the k-3 cannot convert lenses.
I have a K-10, K-7, my son has my K-5 (and his 50-135 is broken), the aforementioned K-3, a K-1 and a KP. Which camera do you suggest I use?

03-17-2020, 07:21 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
With pktether I know people have successfully used the k-5. I'm unclear on the k-7, but I suspect it would work also. The k10d should also work.