Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Ivo

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The keystroke / button press options of the K100D also do not work.
It's work only for k100d not for k100d super. I think it's not a problem to get old k100d body for low price. I got mine for 50 EUR particulary for working with lenses.

02-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Pretty sure this was mentioned in the thread, Jason.

That's why I urge anyone considering the process to read every post, because of the variation in everyone's circumstances.
Why not distill this information into an easy to read FAQ with detailed references and clear tabular layouts of bodies that work, methods that work, requirements for each method etc.

---------- Post added 02-25-15 at 04:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo Quote
It's work only for k100d not for k100d super. I think it's not a problem to get old k100d body for low price. I got mine for 50 EUR particulary for working with lenses.
So where in that magic thread does it ever say the K100D Super doesn't work? I see claims from people - just go to the debug thread and put in debug mode - but the debug thread only deals with debug for AF Issues - which the K100D Super has no problem doing. Getting the lens rom to dump... that seems neigh on impossible.

I have no objection to putting together a list of what works and doesn't work - but right now I'm struggling to find what fits in what category.
02-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

I have no objection to putting together a list of what works and doesn't work - but right now I'm struggling to find what fits in what category.
That's the issue, UV ... none of us are authoritative enough to write a summary covering everybody's situation. You could attempt another general procedure, but people have done that already.

So, we do what we do in other threads on other issues - advise on a particular issue as we're able.

I'm willing to modify files if people PM them to me.

In Melbourne I'm prepared to drive to members' houses after work to do the whole procedure for them.

Last edited by clackers; 02-25-2015 at 05:47 PM.
02-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #19
Forum Member

Pretty sure this was mentioned in the thread, Jason.

That's why I urge anyone considering the process to read every post, because of the variation in everyone's circumstances.
I thought the idea was to collect data and make it easier to follow. I didn't know what the issue was until I figured it out and didn't even know enough about why it might not be working to search. That thread is a mess, and I'm not sure it should require combing through it with a fine-toothed comb to uncover all the gotchas and potential problems one might find.

02-25-2015, 08:04 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
I thought the idea was to collect data and make it easier to follow. I didn't know what the issue was until I figured it out and didn't even know enough about why it might not be working to search. That thread is a mess, and I'm not sure it should require combing through it with a fine-toothed comb to uncover all the gotchas and potential problems one might find.

So if you don't want it to be made a sticky, Jason, what would you do with that collection of communal wisdom and folly?
02-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #21
Forum Member

So if you don't want it to be made a sticky, Jason, what would you do with that collection of communal wisdom and folly?
May I ask why you are attacking me? All I did was post my own experience on a thread asking for such so that someone could distill the collected knowledge down to a usable format. Also, where did I say anything about sticky? I just said that the thread in question is a maze at best, and a giant pile of confusion at worst. Someone with less of a technical background than me might never have figured out why the process as spelled out was not working.
02-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jason 407 Quote
May I ask why you are attacking me? All I did was post my own experience on a thread asking for such so that someone could distill the collected knowledge down to a usable format.

There we go, Jason ... you *do* want it compiled!

I'm just saying that would be a fair bit of work, because it *is* an uncurated collection of everyone's help i.e. a mess. :-)

02-26-2015, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There we go, Jason ... you *do* want it compiled!

I'm just saying that would be a fair bit of work, because it *is* an uncurated collection of everyone's help i.e. a mess. :-)
It is a job I have already started working on. The thread itself isn't enough at least that's my take. The thread is like bread crumbs and hints to find a path. I will be trying to compile what I find there and elsewhere but I would love any direct help people have - if you have converted a lens please post about it or PM me. Eventually something better will come from it.
03-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #24

Deactivation of 16-50 lens with K10 v1.10

I just deactivated my lens as follows:

Turned camera on holding "Play" and "OK" It shows "Firmware v1.10"
Within 5 seconds pressed "Fn" ->"Fn"->"Info"->"Menu"
Scrolled down to "LENS EEPROM SAVE" and selected it. That made a copy of the existing code on the SD card
Scrolled down to "LENS ROM READ/WRITE" (did not enter debug mode)
Selected the locations and changed "C0" to "80", one by one, as indicated in the charts for the 16-50 lens. Before making each change, I verified that what was actually stored in that location was "C0" just to confirmed that I was changing the correct setting.
Exited from program.

I use a Mac so had lots of trouble getting a copy of the file and then changing the appropriate items in the matrix. This method was fast and simple. Probably took about 5 minutes. I bought the K10 just for this purpose and it was well worth the price. When my 50-135 fails I'll convert it as well.

Thanks for putting together this compilation UncleVanya. I spent lots of time reading and trying lots of options before I got to this one.
03-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Katcher Quote

Turned camera on holding "Play" and "OK" It shows "Firmware v1.10"
Within 5 seconds pressed "Fn" ->"Fn"->"Info"->"Menu"
Scrolled down to "LENS EEPROM SAVE" and selected it. That made a copy of the existing code on the SD card
Scrolled down to "LENS ROM READ/WRITE" (did not enter debug mode)
Selected the locations and changed "C0" to "80", one by one, as indicated in the charts for the 16-50 lens. Before making each change, I verified that what was actually stored in that location was "C0" just to confirmed that I was changing the correct setting.
Exited from program.

I use a Mac so had lots of trouble getting a copy of the file and then changing the appropriate items in the matrix. This method was fast and simple. Probably took about 5 minutes. I bought the K10 just for this purpose and it was well worth the price. When my 50-135 fails I'll convert it as well.

Thanks for putting together this compilation UncleVanya. I spent lots of time reading and trying lots of options before I got to this one.
Mike - thanks. I am still gathering info. I thought I had found a way to use the K100D Super which I had been told would work. But alas - with MY K100D Super it is not working. I can get to debug mode - but there is nothing in there that would allow lens rom to be dumped and reloaded. The K50 I have will go into Debug also - but despite the option being listed - it does nada. The same is supposedly true of K30's and K500's and K3's and K5's...

Sigh. So making a note K10d with firmware 1.10 works in this way. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 03-05-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

One more question - where did you find the info on how to get your K10D to go into this mode this way?
03-05-2015, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #26

Mike - thanks. I am still gathering info. I thought I had found a way to use the K100D Super which I had been told would work. But alas - with MY K100D Super it is not working. I can get to debug mode - but there is nothing in there that would allow lens rom to be dumped and reloaded. The K50 I have will go into Debug also - but despite the option being listed - it does nada. The same is supposedly true of K30's and K500's and K3's and K5's...

Sigh. So making a note K10d with firmware 1.10 works in this way. Thanks again.

---------- Post added 03-05-15 at 04:06 PM ----------

One more question - where did you find the info on how to get your K10D to go into this mode this way?
Stumbled across it twice in this forum. Once from djseeram though he was talking about a K10 with v1.30 and once from Adam though he was talking about using this approach to get into debug mode to fix focusing problems. I didn't realize it would work without going into debug until I found "Lens ROM read/write" in the menu and tried it. Surprisingly simple ... though I can't count the number of hours I spent failing to make any of the other options work. Hopefully what you're doing will save lots of people lots of work because the problem sure doesn't seem to be going away. My 16-50 was repaired twice and then I did this after the 3rd failure. I expect my 50-135 to fail soon. Its showing the early signs.
03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #27

Stumbled across it twice in this forum. Once from djseeram though he was talking about a K10 with v1.30 and once from Adam though he was talking about using this approach to get into debug mode to fix focusing problems. I didn't realize it would work without going into debug until I found "Lens ROM read/write" in the menu and tried it. Surprisingly simple ... though I can't count the number of hours I spent failing to make any of the other options work. Hopefully what you're doing will save lots of people lots of work because the problem sure doesn't seem to be going away. My 16-50 was repaired twice and then I did this after the 3rd failure. I expect my 50-135 to fail soon. Its showing the early signs.
Realized one more thing that's important. Be sure to go to LENS ROM READ/WRITE and not EEPROM READ/WRITE. First time I did this I made that mistake and instead of seeing the expected designation of C0 at the specified addresses I got something strange. For example, at 0023, instead of showing C0, it showed EBEB. And at 0063, instead of showing C0, it showed F2F2. Now that I think about this, I guess the back up should be from LENS ROM as well and not from EEPROM as I indicated previously. On the other hand, changing the code item by item probably doesn't really need a back up since you can always go back to each address you changed manually and change it back to C0 from whatever you may have mistakenly changed it to.
03-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

The same is supposedly true of K30's and K500's and K3's and K5's...
Not on the K5. I successfully converted a 16-50 with my K5 (Classic). Used PK Tether to put the camera on debug mode. Another forum member got his 16-50 converted using a K5II.
I'll try to draft the procedures I used and post it here or PM it to you - you're more than welcome to add it to your compilation.

Also, K-r is not going to work for screwdrive conversion, at least from my experience. I can get it to debug mode but there is no SD>CAMERA / CAMERA>SD LENSROM option.
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Not on the K5. I successfully converted a 16-50 with my K5 (Classic). Used PK Tether to put the camera on debug mode. Another forum member got his 16-50 converted using a K5II.
I'll try to draft the procedures I used and post it here or PM it to you - you're more than welcome to add it to your compilation.

Also, K-r is not going to work for screwdrive conversion, at least from my experience. I can get it to debug mode but there is no SD>CAMERA / CAMERA>SD LENSROM option.
Thanks! You are right I forgot about PKTether. It does not support the K50 nor the K100d Super.
03-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK - more news. K100D Super can be used for this. I found it in the thread - but not until I had already bought a used K100D!
Let me say this. People make way too many assumptions in that thread about what we know.

Once you get to the initial debug screen you have to then press MENU to get to the lens ROM commands.

Sigh.

OK - I now own an extra body that will convert SDM/Screwdrive lenses to Screwdrive only lenses.

---------- Post added 03-11-15 at 05:14 PM ----------

So far I know this:
K100D and K100D Super work. The K100D Super requires the MODSET.459 file to enable debug but otherwise is the same as the K100D. Details will be put in the article.

K5 - appears most have used PKTether for this, one person claims it worked from SD Card.

K3, K30, K50 - no go, Can enter debug via file and a menu item exists but doesn't do anything.
K10d - some firmware versions (prior to 1.3) appear to work via SD Card MODSet file.
K-7 - via MODSET file on SD Card. Very detailed process documented already plan to reference this in the final doc.

Anything I'm missing that is well known?

---------- Post added 03-11-15 at 05:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo Quote
This is wrong. It is not well known but you can make the K100D Super work with the MODSET.459 file. Once you reach the debug screen you then press MENU just like you do on a K100D and the options show up just fine.

---------- Post added 03-11-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
Here, I believe..
Link: Page 29, Post #428
Do you recall how you move from menu to menu in the DEV mode on the K-7? Is it by pressing MENU like on the K100D?

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-11-2015 at 02:18 PM.