Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #31
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K57XR reported that the K-r does not work (missing the lens ROM menu items) so you could add it to the "no go" list; myself I have a K-x on the way from a friend and will report back with my findings on that one.

03-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've already noted in 'that' thread the K-x works fine.
03-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #33
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K10d - some firmware versions (prior to 1.3) appear to work via SD Card MODSet file.
Mine worked with firmware 1.3. I think that there was a version 1.31 that broke the menus. Anyone have better info?
03-11-2015, 06:46 PM   #34
Veteran Member

K5 - appears most have used PKTether for this, one person claims it worked from SD Card.
Getting into the actual debug menu is a two way process for the K5 (Classic), at least my experience. You put the camera in debug mode with PKTether - it doesn't matter what SD card is inside. Once the camera is in debug mode, turn off the camera, unplug the usb then put the SD card with the 00077430.505 and develop.mod files, then turn the camera on and should display all the menu. Of course, you can put the SD card with those two files then PKTether it to debug mode, but the camera still needs to be turned off, unplug from usb then turn back on. Yes, I still have to draft that procedure for the K5 to send you. I'll look at it tonight.

Do you recall how you move from menu to menu in the DEV mode on the K-7? Is it by pressing MENU like on the K100D?
I used a K5 not K7.

03-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've already noted in 'that' thread the K-x works fine.
If possible to save time could you find your post and link it here?

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RossCo Quote
I posted a PDF a little while ago with the procedure laid out for a K7 and a 16-50.
Do you recall how you move from menu to menu in the DEV mode on the K-7? Is it by pressing MENU like on the K100D?

---------- Post added 03-12-15 at 12:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote

I used a K5 not K7.
It was a misdirected reply in my part whoops!
03-12-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If possible to save time could you find your post and link it here?

It's here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post3058516

As early as page three of that thread, Megapower made a Youtube video of his results:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...f-2-8-a-3.html

And on page five, Lightbug said: "Thanks Clover for the instruction! I was able to resurrect my DA* 16-50mm on my K-x, saved me $200 to send it to Pentax for repairs." https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...#ixzz3UDXdQvcm

Quite a task if you're summarizing that saga ... if you do, Congressional Medal of Honor, Legion of Honor and knighthood from The Queen are in order, UncleVanya! :-D

Last edited by clackers; 03-12-2015 at 08:22 PM.
03-12-2015, 08:26 PM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post3058516

As early as page three of that thread, Megapower made a Youtube video of his results:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...f-2-8-a-3.html

And on page five, Lightbug said: "Thanks Clover for the instruction! I was able to resurrect my DA* 16-50mm on my K-x, saved me $200 to send it to Pentax for repairs." https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...#ixzz3UDXdQvcm

Quite a task if you're summarizing that saga ... if you do, Congressional Medal of Honor, Legion of Honor and knighthood from The Queen are in order, UncleVanya! :-D
Thanks. Fast I'm not... but I know what I'm trying to accomplish and I'm willing to have it be iterative but I want it relatively complete before I put out the first cut. References to specific posts may work for some details but I'm hoping to bring a lot under one roof.

04-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Recently I tried to help a couple of folks in their quest to get a failing SDM lens "demoted" to screw drive. The problem is that everyone always points to a thread or two that contain a lot but not all of the info needed. I would love to compile in ONE place all the info needed. Ideally I would get someone to volunteer to write or help write an article for the site that took all of the different materials and united it in one place.

Here's what I think is needed:

1) Which cameras can be used for the conversion - including BIOS versions!
a) with SD card method
b) with PKTether method

2) Which lens modes are KNOWN to have been successfully converted?
a) 16-50 & 50-135 are well known to work
b) 60-250 is mentioned as tried but failed a few times but doesn't seem conclusive
c) any others?

3) What doesn't work:
a) bodies that don't
b) bios versions that don't
c) lenses that don't seem to work with the process yet

Sample files. Links to various threads for additional discussion etc.

As an example, everyone thinks the K100D Super works a certain way but today I tried what was failing for another user and could not get any further. The problem is that while enabling the K100D Super for basic AF adjustment debug works, the method listed out there for starting the debug menu doesn't appear to work at all. The keystroke / button press options of the K100D also do not work. The K50 can be set in debug but despite being able to write logs to disk and DSP adjustments to disk I cannot get lens roms to write to SD card.

The point is rather than read a giant thread that's years old and get sidetracked finding the bios version is wrong or the camera model is wrong or xyz is wrong it would be nice to have this all collected and summarized.

Any thoughts welcome - links and contributions welcome but please read what has been collected before reposting the same info.

LINKS:
16-50, 50-135 disable thread. Focused on K20D I think or K10D with older firmware: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...ml#post2203064

Mass confusion over what bodies can and can't disable as shown by this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/241761-chea...m-disable.html

Frustration threads like this showing that people don't know what works and doesn't work: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/288713-has-anyone-been-abl...ing-k-3-a.html
I had my DA* 300 stop autofocusing yesterday, after 5 years of perfect performance while I was reading this I researched the KaF 3 mount as well. I found my problem, SDM needs power and One of the two metal power contact tabs on my 300 had bent, this is why the autofocus failed as it was not getting power. I mus have caught that tiny piece on something during a lens swap Without being curious I might have gone down the screwdrive path for both my K3ii and K5iis as I think the DA*300 is one of the best Pentax lens every made.
04-10-2016, 01:45 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Buhlmann Quote
I had my DA* 300 stop autofocusing yesterday, after 5 years of perfect performance while I was reading this I researched the KaF 3 mount as well. I found my problem, SDM needs power and One of the two metal power contact tabs on my 300 had bent, this is why the autofocus failed as it was not getting power. I mus have caught that tiny piece on something during a lens swap Without being curious I might have gone down the screwdrive path for both my K3ii and K5iis as I think the DA*300 is one of the best Pentax lens every made.
That is a great find. Most exhibit slow failure - slowly getting slower and less reliable. Was yours a more sudden failure?
04-28-2016, 01:49 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Does anyone know if it can be done with an *ist DS? I can get into the debug but I can't seem to find the way to download the correct file to card. Thanks!

Based on further googling, it appears the DS is missing the functions to to the conversion. Ah well!

ETA: here are the 2 menus I could find in debug mode:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 04-30-2016 at 11:39 AM.
04-28-2016, 09:29 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just a quick statistic:

Of the lenses I have converted:
5 times more 16-50's and 50-135's have been sent to me than DA* 200's and DA* 300's.

There could be more of them in circulation, they could fail more often, they could be less likely to spend the repair money on SDM than the DA* prime owners... I have no idea.

I just found this interesting but sadly not enlightening.
08-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check your SDM tabs, I did a field repair on my broken one SDM back working

Folks, The small metal tabs that control the SDM should have been designed to mold all the way over the contact lip but they dont and
i snagged one and at first bent it but managed to snag again and it broke off.

So, I was not going to first pay for a repair. I could see the tab end where it broke off so I got some thin
copper foil tape at amazon "1/8 inch x 55 yds Copper Foil Tape - (3mm x 50m) - EMI Shielding Conductive Adhesive" and
using a jewelers screwdriver wedged it to the broken base tab. It works. SDM is back up and running

I posted pictures here of what I did. I know its not pretty but it works.

:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
09-27-2016, 08:05 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bumping. Also a request:

Can anyone with a k-1 verify that a converted lens works as expected?

I realize that it SHOULD by all logic, but it would be helpful to be able to definitively know that it works as expected after conversion, when mounted on a k-1.
10-05-2016, 04:03 PM   #44
Veteran Member

please help

I followed the instructions until eeprom read/write,. when I push ok up comes

address 0000
data 0000

read
write
exit

can anyone tell me what is going wrong?

thanks

randy
10-06-2016, 07:30 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It sounds like you are editing in camera. I'm not sure you followed the exact instructions to the letter. Pm me and let's try to find time to walk through this interactively.