Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #16
Pentaxian

I realize the camera industry is not all about me, but my desire for the FF is a 24-120ish f4 lens. I'd rather have the extra zoom. The FA Limiteds already fill my needs for shooting in darkness and getting thin DOF.

02-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Why does Pentax rebadging someone else's lenses keep coming up?

Do we think they are not capable of developing their own glass?

The new DFA lenses announced are not rebadged. Why on earth would they rebadge the 24-70 which will be the keystone of their FF system for years to come. It will arguably be more important long term than the body. That lens will make or break them.
I don't think it is a question of them developing their own glass. It is more a question of filling out a line up while they develop lenses of their own. A rebadged Tamron could be a place holder until such time as they develop their own lens for that spot.
02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm really interested in the Pentax/Tokina relationship. AFIK, the collaboration resulted in the DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, DA 10-17 Fish-eye, and the DA Ltd 35mm Macro. Am I missing any?

I know a lot of people are jumping on Stavri about his naivete regarding the Pentax/Tokina relationship, but I'm naive too. The relationship was a result of Hoya's ownership of Pentax? If so, are we sure there is no longer any cooperation?

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think that is a reasonable statement given that the last Tokina collaboration was some years ago and Pentax has developed several lenses since without Tokina involvement. You might want to consider that the technology flow on the DA* zooms was from Pentax to Tokina and not the other way around. The Tokina lenses were derived from the Pentax versions.

Steve
So the lenses were Pentax designs and rebranded as Tokina? What did Pentax get out of the deal?
02-26-2015, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
We're in a speculative thread so speculations are In order, untill we hear something concrete I'm all ears...
Speculation? I speculate that Ricoh/Pentax will collaborate with Nikon on all future lenses. After all, the F and K mounts share almost identical flange registration distances. Makes perfect sense, eh?

Or...how about a REAL WILD SPECULATION? How about the theory that Pentax will leverage its historic depth for designing and building high performance optics to produce lenses in-house? Evidence for such would be supported by the fact that all of the lenses released since the Ricoh purchase have been home-grown and exciting products.

Steve

02-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Why does Pentax rebadging someone else's lenses keep coming up?

Do we think they are not capable of developing their own glass?
It is Stavri's thing, recently.

Steve
02-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
So the lenses were Pentax designs and rebranded as Tokina? What did Pentax get out of the deal?
Manufacturing capacity.

BTW, the Tokina lenses were not rebranded. The relationship is akin to some of what happens in the automotive world. Several years ago, the Mazda MX-6 and Ford probe were built on parallel assembly lines in Michigan. The tech was mostly Mazda, the development was collaborative, and the manufacturing was done by Ford. Hoya owned a significant share of Tokina and 100% of Pentax at the time. Similarly, Ford had a stake in Mazda.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
02-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Speculation? I speculate that Ricoh/Pentax will collaborate with Nikon on all future lenses. After all, the F and K mounts share almost identical flange registration distances. Makes perfect sense, eh?

Or...how about a REAL WILD SPECULATION? How about the theory that Pentax will leverage its historic depth for designing and building high performance optics to produce lenses in-house? Evidence for such would be supported by the fact that all of the lenses released since the Ricoh purchase have been home-grown and exciting products.

Steve
You seem to forget about the DA 18-270mm.

In my defense I did predict that the new FF would be coming out in 2015, from a "guy who knew guy who worked at Ricoh". I'm used to being ridiculed, my heart is young and can take it.

Last edited by Stavri; 02-26-2015 at 12:28 PM.
02-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Evidence for such would be supported by the fact that all of the lenses released since the Ricoh purchase have been home-grown and exciting products.
You seem to forget about the DA 18-270mm
My understanding was this was a carryover project to replace the previous Tamron-made DA 18-250...not a Ricoh initiative, but I have been wrong before. Your point is well-taken.

As for your prediction regarding the FF camera...I do believe that Monochrome beat you to the draw there. I suspect he is the guy who knows the guy...

Steve
02-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I"m not pretending to be the first to have ushered the news of the new FF. As far as i know during official interviews Tokina has stated that they're open to future collaborations, whether that's already happening behind the scenes I don't know. I for one am excited if they're partnership gets renewed, their joined venture has produced great stuff. Their At-X 24-70 is new enough to make it a potential excellent performer.
02-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Maybe they hired engineers on a per-job basis, instead of a full-on collaboration. From internet sources, that is how the FA 31 Limited was created - a couple of engineers were contracted just for that lens and they were not Pentax employees (after Asahi Pentax decided that they wouldn't release Hirakawa Jun's 31mm f2.4 lens that was based on the old 30mm f2.8).
This is not true. It was designed by Pentax but not Hirakawa. That is what Hirakawa said at the time of its release on his own mailing list....
02-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
This is not true. It was designed by Pentax but not Hirakawa. That is what Hirakawa said at the time of its release on his own mailing list....
You are right, the designers of the FA 31mm are Mr Takayuki Ito and Mr Masayuki Murata. I had done a flawed search previously. I've deleted my previous post.
02-26-2015, 04:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Pardon my nonchalance, I didn't literally mean the past 2-3 years. We're in a speculative thread so speculations are In order, untill we hear something concrete I'm all ears...
Sorry, but when you say "This might be obvious conclusion to many but given the increased collaboration between Tokina and Pentax these past few years.." you not implying any speculation. You are saying collaboration is a "given". Collaboration is not a "given". The only "obvious conclusion" is that there has been no increased collaboration between Ricoh and Tokina.
02-26-2015, 04:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sorry, but when you say "This might be obvious conclusion to many but given the increased collaboration between Tokina and Pentax these past few years.." you not implying any speculation. You are saying collaboration is a "given". Collaboration is not a "given". The only "obvious conclusion" is that there has been no increased collaboration between Ricoh and Tokina.
I'm gonna check with my friend whose friend knows a guy who works at Ricoh if in fact there's an ongoing collaboration between Tokina and Ricoh and let you know..
02-26-2015, 04:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm gonna check with my friend whose friend knows a guy who works at Ricoh if in fact there's an ongoing collaboration between Tokina and Ricoh and let you know..
Good. When you verify that you can say that the collaboration is a given.
02-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope its an FA-limited metal housing, aperture ring and all ala 20-40 f2.8-4.