Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
... In my opinion people who write a review on a lens they like or dislike (whichever sentiment prevails) do other people a disservice by including the circumstantial price of their find in the review.
One report is circumstantial. Many reports over time paint a picture. Does a graph wander all over the place or is it trending up or down? The average tells more than than one report, but, to me, less than the graph.

And then, what of those well-heeled (wealthy) sorts who just don't care about the price and pay large sums for a pristine copy ? Is anyone concerned about their price reports distorting the larger picture?

There are far larger forces at play in the market. For one, Pentax market share dropped rather drastically in Japan and Pentax has more sales in Japan than the rest of the world. With fewer people buying Pentax cameras, anywhere, there are fewer buyers for used lenses. In fact, it could be argued that a shrinking market is the biggest factor of all.

There's an old gas station on a corner lot not far from my house. The owner wants $2 million for it, given the prime location. Over the last 20 years it has remained empty, he's had offers below that, reflecting anywhere from market value to below value. He's refused all offers, wanting $2 million up front.

Meanwhile, his COPD has grown worse and he's not likely long for this world. 20 years. Even taking a low-ball offer of 1/2 a million in the 1990's would have given him years of enjoyment and lack of care about this neglected property. Greed got far the best of him and he'll likely die soon, leaving his heirs, if any, to sell for prices he's refused before.

My point is this: if you want to make a sale, you've got to find a buyer willing to pay what you're asking. If there aren't any, you can decide never to sell or to make changes that will attract buyers. That's just life. But blaming external factors is pointless. Thinking that one source of information is the sole, or main, influence on market activity is an exercise in psychological projection. You can't read a buyer's mind, only find the price at which a buyer is willing to part with his money.

02-28-2015, 11:35 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thsi site was always good for lens price trends:

jcolwell.ca - home

Phil.
03-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #48
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I feel that the prices of used K-mount lenses has gone down quite a bit in the last couple years
Think that's gonna change with the FF announcement...
03-01-2015, 01:59 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I't seems that more and more users are disclosing prices of gear bought in thrift stores, craigslist, garage sales, estate sale you name it during their reviews in the database. While I share their excitement on such bargains of gear that might otherwise see neglect, I feel that their disclosures are bringing the used price median values down considerably. I for one make a habit of not disclosing my unusual purchase prices (or methods) and I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on the matter.
It also works the opposite direction too ! When a lens or item turns out to be a consistent performer the price in the Review section can go up considerably because of a recent purchase from a seller....the SELLERS drive the prices up ! So....its a Dog eat Dog World....an interesting place . My opinion because You asked the question ? Are You a seller for profit ?
If so I can understand your reasoning. I personally advertise ALL my great finds and prices paid in the PF Lens review. Helps keep the prices down for the masses to know deals are still found and where to look for them.
There is more more than enough used gear around for all. Whats wrong for paying low prices for gear ???
I link PF lens Reviews on my Ebay listings.....and I post what I paid in the Lens Review section as the PF review process asks for it...."Price Paid"
Its kinda like saying..."Hey ... Look what I just Got for $10 Bucks''.....and at the same time ......."Slitting my own Throat" as an occasional seller....lol.
Just today I was doing Garage sales and found MX Body (I think) and 3 lenses. One was a SMC-A 24mm , the other a Sears 50mm 2.0 , and one was a SMC-M 28mm......the whole setup was $50. Yet a couple weeks ago I bought a the same 24mm "A" lens for $165 from a Pentax forum member on Ebay.....either way it was a good deal for everyone involved.
This is such a Fun..... Evil addiction.....I mean Hobby.

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 05:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
You got that right....ITS HAPPENING !

---------- Post added 03-01-15 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just yesterday someone resurrected a thread from 2008 about prices of used lenses going up...
I think that person....Just may have been me....lol

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 03-01-2015 at 02:41 AM.
03-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Prices at KEH are higher overall now than when I was looking last fall.
03-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From my personal experience I see the prices rising constantly since I joined PENTAX community back in 2007. Some fluctuations are always expected but good lenses simple are still good , even on modern cameras. When one drops $1000 or $2000 on a body alone, and pro-quality lenses are sometime the same or more, all kind of Takumars, K or M42 glass is simple bargain at $100 or $200 price point. Some more scarce lenses of course commands more, but still significantly less than new glass. So from my standpoint , Pentax gaining popularity makes older glass more attractive than ever. Another factor is growing population of amateur-photographers, all those M43, and APS-C cameras out there are often being attached to old glass, and that makes the price grow.

Good lenses will always command good price. if glass is clean and well maintained it will cost even more, the same applies for cosmetic condition and reputation of seller... so in short I don;t think a great range of prices reported by reviewers is actually affecting prices in any way. I often wanted to get this or that lens. When I check the prices I see the max and min, average out, add premium for mint condition, add tax and vat (UK :/ ) .. that hurts, but its reality so why even bother to fight ? :P
03-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Prices at KEH are higher overall now than when I was looking last fall.
Prices at KEH used to be quite good, then they had a run on Pentax gear as prices other places went up. Either they had to replace stock at higher cost or they just raised prices to match. Either way I do not find them very competitive anymore. I used to recommend them all the time, now it seems they all higher priced than almost everywhere else.

03-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is hard to value lenses that aren't currently sold by Pentax. If you are selling a DA limited or current DA lens that is in good condition, it is reasonable to take the new price and subtract 15 or 20 percent from it. On the other hand if you are selling an A series or F series lens, how to decide on the value that has is a lot more difficult. All you can do is put a price tag on it and if it doesn't sell, lower it a little over time till it does sell.

I don't think average price listings effect my interest in a lens and I think from a seller's stand point it is more than appropriate to decline low ball offers, even if the potential purchaser thinks it is reasonable based on some other information.

I happen to like the marketplace because it doesn't turn into a bidding war and people are usually pretty honest about what they have and value things appropriately.
03-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think it is hard to value lenses that aren't currently sold by Pentax. If you are selling a DA limited or current DA lens that is in good condition, it is reasonable to take the new price and subtract 15 or 20 percent from it. On the other hand if you are selling an A series or F series lens, how to decide on the value that has is a lot more difficult. All you can do is put a price tag on it and if it doesn't sell, lower it a little over time till it does sell.

I don't think average price listings effect my interest in a lens and I think from a seller's stand point it is more than appropriate to decline low ball offers, even if the potential purchaser thinks it is reasonable based on some other information.

I happen to like the marketplace because it doesn't turn into a bidding war and people are usually pretty honest about what they have and value things appropriately.
For me substracting 15-20% for a used lense is not enough. It doesn't compensate for the lack of warranty and the possibility to be stuck with a below average sample.

I suppose this because you think of US price that do not include VAT. When VAT is included the difference between new and used lense will be more 30-35% I suppose and it make more sence counting this discount is based on arround the best price available out here.

For sure if difference is too low between new and used, I'll buy the new version.
03-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
For me substracting 15-20% for a used lense is not enough. It doesn't compensate for the lack of warranty and the possibility to be stuck with a below average sample.

I suppose this because you think of US price that do not include VAT. When VAT is included the difference between new and used lense will be more 30-35% I suppose and it make more sence counting this discount is based on arround the best price available out here.

For sure if difference is too low between new and used, I'll buy the new version.
It would really depend on the lens. FA limiteds seem to hold their value well and if a new FA 77 sells for 900 dollars now on B and H, I would certainly be willing to buy a good condition lens for 700-ish (I'm not looking for one, just an example). If you buy the lens and it doesn't arrive in the condition it was supposed to be in, it is well within your rights to send it back.

Lenses with SDM take much more of a beating on the used market, due to the questionable future of the in-lens motor.