Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are unconventional buying practices affecting the median values of used gear

I't seems that more and more users are disclosing prices of gear bought in thrift stores, craigslist, garage sales, estate sale you name it during their reviews in the database. While I share their excitement on such bargains of gear that might otherwise see neglect, I feel that their disclosures are bringing the used price median values down considerably. I for one make a habit of not disclosing my unusual purchase prices (or methods) and I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on the matter.

02-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's what they paid for it. What do you think they should answer?
02-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is your concern for buyers or sellers?From my point of view ,the more transparency in the market,(i.e. information about sale prices)the better.
02-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Yes, that's true, but to put it bluntly, so what? What's going to happen? Maybe someone will expect to get a low price on a lens that should have a higher price? Big deal, they won't buy it -- they aren't really in the market for it anyway probably except at their fantasy price. I don't think it really affects the true potential buyer who is smart enough to know what it is actually worth in the marketplace when you aren't counting on getting a random deal from a lucky find somewhere...

02-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I feel that the prices of used K-mount lenses has gone down quite a bit in the last couple years. I've done a lot of buying and selling on the PF marketplace and ebay and the sales prices of the kind of stuff I've bought and sold in the past is considerably lower now. It's pretty discouraging considering I have about ten lenses and a couple tripods I'm hoping to list in the near future.
That said, I think buying and selling used gear in the digital age hasn't changed much. As long as I've been on PF people have been joyously disclosing the bargains they've managed to get on used gear. So I for one disagree with your theory.
02-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just yesterday someone resurrected a thread from 2008 about prices of used lenses going up...
02-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I like hearing when others get bargains. It gives me hope. I will never pay the asking price of so many of these used lenses, the only way I'll ever get one is if I see it at the Sally Ann or something.

02-27-2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Is your concern for buyers or sellers?From my point of view ,the more transparency in the market,(i.e. information about sale prices)the better.
I'm all for transparency but I don't think a Goodwill deal on a bunch of lenses reflects their value but should be categorized as a lucky find. I believe that the value of gear should be determined between two informed parties. As an example the latest review of the -F 50mm f1.7 (one of my favorite lenses) state its value as $30, a thrift store purchase non-including the PZ-10 camera attached to it. Although the market price values here at the forum vary I've never seen a -F 50mm f1.7 sell for that much. I personally think the price should be left blank or n/a. The lucky finders should get their own thread on detailing such exploits.

Does this graph make sense?
Attached Images

Last edited by Stavri; 02-27-2015 at 12:32 PM.
02-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Those sorts of deals are only available once and awhile and only to those in the right place at the right time. I can guarantee you that in the place I live, I will never come across a garage sale/craigslist/estate sale and make a once in a lifetime score on pentax gear. That being said, I'll be paying going used rates available on this site and a few others. I'm sure there are lots of people in my boat as well.
02-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the same time, I don't think an A*85/1.4 isn't really valued at $1699, except to the person who hits the Buy It Now button.
02-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
I personally think the price should be left blank or n/a. The lucky finders should get their own thread on detailing such exploits.
And how do they all know they are 'lucky'? If someone is knowledgeable and watches prices, yes they know roughly what the going price is. But someone who does not buy and sell and just picks up a lens at the thrift store may not realize they got a deal. If they paid $10 they paid $10, that's it.

You could also complain about reviewers giving an old FA zoom lens a glowing 10 when it's really a piece of cr#p but they are excited about it. It's a 10 to them, so that's what it is.

And why is
their disclosures are bringing the used price median values down considerably
this an issue? Lower prices are a good thing. Unless you have a stash of FF lens you've been hoarding waiting to make a killing when the FF comes out.
02-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And how do they all know they are 'lucky'? If someone is knowledgeable and watches prices, yes they know roughly what the going price is. But someone who does not buy and sell and just picks up a lens at the thrift store may not realize they got a deal. If they paid $10 they paid $10, that's it.

You could also complain about reviewers giving an old FA zoom lens a glowing 10 when it's really a piece of cr#p but they are excited about it. It's a 10 to them, so that's what it is.

And why is this an issue? Lower prices are a good thing. Unless you have a stash of FF lens you've been hoarding waiting to make a killing when the FF comes out.
...you got me

After I sell all my -F glass and left with no lenses, I'll buy the FF and just stare at it for hours.

Last edited by Stavri; 02-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.
02-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think price transparency is a good thing.
It helps potential buyers... it lets them know that an item that they saw in a newspaper can (or cannot) be purchased for less if they do a little bit of shopping around.
02-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I think price transparency is a good thing.
It helps potential buyers... it lets them know that an item that they saw in a newspaper can (or cannot) be purchased for less if they do a little bit of shopping around.
If I go by the lowest point in the graph, one will have to wait a long time for the -F 50mm f1.7 to drop to $12
02-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If I go by the lowest point in the graph, one will have to wait a long time for the -F 50mm f1.7 to drop to $12
A smart buyer will average... and not wait for miracles to happen all the time .

I once got a Chinon 50mm 1.7 for $10 CAD at my local used equipment Henry store.
Deals sometimes do happen... rare... but they do and give hope.