Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2015, 02:31 PM   #1

Decisions

I have decided that I cannot wait for the FF body to come out and will purchase a k3 in the coming weeks I've pretty much come to terms with that but I'm now unsure of which lens or lenses I want to purchase with it. I'm torn between the Pentax 18-135 or the 35mm other third party lenses have caught my attention as well such as sigmas fast 17-50 or their 18-250 with macro. I would say that I have a plethora of manual primes and the 18-50 and 50-200 that came with my k0-1. I am looking for an upgrade of sorts but I'm just not sure what to go with.

02-28-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The DA 18-135 is a good choice for its great IQ and useful zoom range. You may find yourself selling the DA 18-55 unless you want to have a spare kick-around lens.

The DA 35 and DA 50 primes are also excellent choices for their sharpness and great colors. Both of these lenses are reasonably priced and that makes them great choices.

If you are looking for fast lenses to work in low light at the expense of depth of field then I would suggest holding off. Try the higher ISO settings on the K-3. I feel like the K-3 has excellent high ISO noise. It runs circles around my K-30. Running at ISO 4000 - 6400 is much easier on the K-3 than the K-30. I mention the K-30 because it is of the same generation and family as your K-01. If the high ISO capability of the K-3 doesn't suit you then go for the fast lenses.

If you want to get into macro then I would suggested a dedicated macro lens. You can get a good deal on a used 50mm, 90mm, or 100mm lens especially when you consider used lenses. The IQ from these dedicated lenses is superb!

First, get that K-3 and learn it inside out. Get used to it with the lenses you have now. Then think about adding glass. Change one thing at a time.

Good luck!
02-28-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you were considering ff at this point, you'll probably be considering it at some point in the future as well.

so if you are going to buy glass, you may want to buy ff glass.
02-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with 6BQ5. Start with the DA18-135mm.It will cover most of your needs, will provide you an all-around WR lens an will let you become more familiar with the camera.

Then plan your lens roadmap. What do you like to shoot? What focal length do you use most? Your experience with the DA18-135mm will be most valuable. Do you prefer zoom lenses or primes lenses? Do you value IQ above everything? In the affirmative, the Pentax FA Limited are a must for you. Do you value compact and light lenses? Compact lenses are less intimidating (eg for street photography) and light lenses are easier to carry with your camera (eg for bush walking). Pentax offers a range of super light and compact lenses: the DA Limited series (and newer HD DA Limited). In contrast, Sigma offers great primes, but these are bulky and heavy. It may or may not be your take.

Do you prefer to shoot AF or MF?

What is your budget? If you are on a string, consider the backward compatibility of the Pentax cameras and lenses. You can find great older lenses which will work on your K-3 for as low as $50.

Ultimately it is most important to plan your lens purchase. It can be an expensive addiction (LBA) and there is nothing more frustrating than a shelf full of lenses that you do not use.

On a personal note, I came to Pentax with a bridge camera background. I had to plan from scratch my lens roadmap. My first year lens roadmap was simple:

* Pentax SMC DA 1:3.5-6.3 18-250mm ES AL (IF) - I purchase this all-around lens two weeks before I bought my first Pentax dSLR; I found a great opportunity at Keh.com;

* Voigtlander Nokton 58mm F1.4 SL II - I wanted a fast fifty; A PF member advised me for the VL58mm f1.4 and this was my best purchase; the FF lens is superb and the IQ is outstanding

* Tamron (Model 272EO) SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 - I wanted to try macro; the Tammy was a reasonably price option; at the end I found that I am not really interested in macro and this lens stays on the shelves;

* Pentax FA 31mm f1.8 AL Limited - A great lens like all three Pentax FA Limited lenses (the 3 amigos); I wanted a 30-35mm prime lens and there was a discount at B&H.com just before Christmas; I love the lens IQ and it remains one of my favorite.

After two years of Pentax, I discovered that I shoot 70% outdoor, I love great IQ, I prefer to use primes to get the best IQ, I do not shoot macro, I value highly light and compact lenses, I am prepared to pay for quality rather than waste by time and energy with an average lens.

6 years after I purchased my first Pentax dSLR, this is still true. Three out of my first 4 lenses (DA18-250mm, VL58mm, FA31mm) are my three most used lenses by far! I have now 12 primes and 3 zoom lenses, with only (!) 2 lenses staying on the shelves.

I hope the comment will help.

02-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Isn't the 18-135 packaged with the K3 as the kit lens cheap enough to not have to make a choice? Use the savings to buy a second lens. You can have your cake and eat it too. This is an LBA rationale.
02-28-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What about the new 16-85? I have the 18-135 which I like very much, but I think I would use the 2mm on the wide end more the 50 on the long end. Initial reports suggest that the 16-85 is slightly better in general.
03-01-2015, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by officiousbystander Quote
Isn't the 18-135 packaged with the K3 as the kit lens cheap enough to not have to make a choice? Use the savings to buy a second lens. You can have your cake and eat it too. This is an LBA rationale.
Depends on what you define as cheap. The DA 18-135 sells for nearly $500 new on Adorama. White-box prices on Amazon are lower at $300-$350.

03-01-2015, 08:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jake38s Quote
I have decided that I cannot wait for the FF body to come out and will purchase a k3 in the coming weeks...
Wow...what's the rush? Do you have a specific need or is your money just burning a hole in your pocket? lol If I didn't HAVE to upgrade right now, I'd wait and see what the FF is all about. At the worst, there'll probably be a lot of great used K3s on the market once the FF is released.
03-01-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Wow...what's the rush? Do you have a specific need or is your money just burning a hole in your pocket? lol If I didn't HAVE to upgrade right now, I'd wait and see what the FF is all about. At the worst, there'll probably be a lot of great used K3s on the market once the FF is released.
You are so close....think hard about waiting.
If You get the K3 consider getting the 35mm as you already have two zooms for the same coverage as the 18-135 WR...... The 18-135WR is a good lens , but why have 3 ?
03-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
The 18-135WR is a good lens , but why have 3 ?
LBA?

Seb
03-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ok I did it, I ordered my k3 last night with the 18-135 AND the 35mm a bit of LBA I'll admit. my reasoning for not just sticking with the two original zooms have become somewhat fixtures on my wife's camera. As far as my impatience to wait for a FF body I weighed my options and decided for now a crop body caters more to my style of shooting. thanks for your advice